Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Filing for an Extension - 2016 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited December 2015 in Mazda
imageFiling for an Extension - 2016 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible Long-Term Road Test

The 2016 Mazda MX-5 Miata lacks a telescoping steering wheel, which forces even drivers of average height to sacrifice some legroom.

Read the full story here

Comments

• csubowtiecsubowtie Member Posts: 143
    This is supposed to be a driver's car. I know they did all they could to keep weight down, but the extra few pounds a telescoping wheel would add would be more than made up for by having a good driving position.
  • diigiidiigii Member Posts: 156
    Really?! No telescoping steering wheel? This is 2015, not 1985!
  • kirkhilles1kirkhilles1 Member Posts: 863
    diigii said:

My 2000 doesn't adjust at all, so its not surprising at all. At 5' 11" I feel like I'm about 3 inches too tall for the car. I literally look down to see out the windshield. Also, of course, foam removed in seat and sunvisors removed.
  • awddreaminawddreamin Member Posts: 7
    My 1997 NA Miata does not telescope. Neither did my E36 BMW
  • thepuffthepuff Member Posts: 87
    So far we have a car with a sissy engine, lack of telescoping wheel, cramped shifter, and media dials that change things overtime you shift the car....everyone keeps telling me that the car is all about "fun." So when is the fun supposed to start if I can't get comfortable, reach the controls or pass a minivan on a grade.
  • craigo7craigo7 Member Posts: 51

thepuff said:

So far we have a car with a sissy engine, lack of telescoping wheel, cramped shifter, and media dials that change things overtime you shift the car....everyone keeps telling me that the car is all about "fun." So when is the fun supposed to start if I can't get comfortable, reach the controls or pass a minivan on a grade.

The lady doth protest too much, methinks
    Obvious troll is obvious.
  • s197gts197gt Member Posts: 486
    how fast is a go-cart? how comfortable is it? does it have a radio?

is it fun to drive?
    thepuff said:

• agentorangeagentorange Member Posts: 893
    Telescoping steering columns are essential for me. I have legs that are long relative to my arms. No, I don't look like a T-Rex, before you ask. However, there are MANY cars that I simply cannot buy because I can never get the relationship correct between where my legs need to be and steering the vehicle safely. Most Italian cars of the 80s were non-starters as they all assume the ape-like proportions, long arms and short legs. I hear folk gripe that the wheel is too close in a Mercedes, but it usually means it's bang on for me.
  • notfastnotfast Member Posts: 93
    My 1998 3 series had this issue, surprised Mazda is falling back to those old ways.
  • diigiidiigii Member Posts: 156

diigii said:

My 2000 doesn't adjust at all, so its not surprising at all. At 5' 11" I feel like I'm about 3 inches too tall for the car. I literally look down to see out the windshield. Also, of course, foam removed in seat and sunvisors removed.
    I agree with you. I have a friend who had a 2006 model and when I tried to sit in the driver's seat, I could not slide my right leg because it was against the steering wheel. So I looked for the telescoping lever and he said it does not have it. The only way I could put myself on the seat was as if I was riding a motorcycle. Kinda awkward if I own that car and had to get in like that everytime. Once seated, my legs were against the wheel and there is no way I can drive it. I'm only 5'8" by the way and the seat was already pushed all the way back.
  • stanlaurelstanlaurel Member Posts: 4
    edited February 2016
    diigii said:

diigii said:

I agree with you. I have a friend who had a 2006 model and when I tried to sit in the driver's seat, I could not slide my right leg because it was against the steering wheel. So I looked for the telescoping lever and he said it does not have it. The only way I could put myself on the seat was as if I was riding a motorcycle. Kinda awkward if I own that car and had to get in like that everytime. Once seated, my legs were against the wheel and there is no way I can drive it. I'm only 5'8" by the way and the seat was already pushed all the way back.
    Perhaps a weight loss regimen for your thunder thighs? I've never heard of someone under 5'10" who couldn't fit in a Miata. Steer clear of those cheeseburgers for a few months and try again.