Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Towing Mirrors Whistle While They Work - 2015 Ford F-150 Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited December 2015 in Ford
imageTowing Mirrors Whistle While They Work - 2015 Ford F-150 Long-Term Road Test

We equipped our long-term 2015 Ford F-150 with the optional towing mirrors and they work fairly well. But they make a pretty annoying noise when you get up to speed.

Read the full story here

Comments

• daryleasondaryleason Member Posts: 501
    Are those mirrors the ones that extend out for towing? If so, is the noise only present when the mirrors are extended, or is it there even when they're collapsed?
  • tlangnesstlangness Member Posts: 123
    Yes, these are the towing mirrors. And the sound is present in the position where they're the closest to the truck (if that's what you mean by collapsed).
  • agentorangeagentorange Member Posts: 893
    Who drives with the windows open? It's dirty (fresh air in SoCal? Let me sell you some swampland...) and (as described here) too noisy.
  • daryleasondaryleason Member Posts: 501
    @tlangness , since the sound is present when they're retracted/collapsed/closest to the truck, then I'd be curious if the sound is present when they're extended. Basically, the mirrors are whistling as the air passes through the opening between the upper and lower "arms" that hold the mirror out, I would think. Try taping a cardboard flap on the leading edge of one or both of the arms to see if it eliminates or reduces the noise. I doubt Ford would do anything about it, but if it is causes by airflow between the arms, then that means there's a possibility that with a little fine grit sandpaper, you could disrupt the flow enough to stop the whistling without marring the looks of the truck.
  • moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    Majority of the trucks that are equipped with these extendable mirrors are driven with the mirrors extended all the time unless they are towing a trailer, then they don't use them. Another far too prevalent habit of the pickup driving population is to drive either on or left of center.