Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

GMC Yukon. How long can they last?

mtngrl05mtngrl05 Member Posts: 2
edited October 2021 in GMC
Just wondering if anyone has any Yukons out there with high miles that are still going strong.

See also: The Top 20 Longest-Lasting Cars

Comments

• kimdvm1kimdvm1 Member Posts: 37
    I have a 2000 Yukon Denali (the last year that Denalis were made with a true 4WD like the Yukon) that I purchased in 1999 and it has 185,000 miles, still going strong.

My total service costs over those 8 years has been about $4000. Sure there are times where several things go wrong at once but then I might have a year without a repair bill.

I am looking to replace it now; I have a 40-mile commute to work and I am the revenue producer at my office, so I can't afford to break down on the way to work.

This vehicle used to occasionally tow a heavy camper. I also have to admit it is driven pretty hard, not conservatively, so I am thrilled with it. We use the 4WD in the winter or in wet conditions. Now that it has more miles, it might use a quart of oil between the oil changes (which I get every 5000 miles). Still no tranny leaks, no 4WD problems.
  • mtngrl05mtngrl05 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the reply. My 2002 has 118000 on it. It rides so nice though and looks pretty new. I want to get the Denali eventually, but I do not like the new Denali style (I think they changed it this year?), so I will def get one a few years old. :D
  • miffktownmiffktown Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1999 Yukon and I have cranked the torion bars and put some good tires on it and I wheel the livin hell out of it, it has 160,000 miles and runs great! I have had to spend like 1500.00 on maintenance but it was just standard stuff like fuel pump etc. you get that with any vehicle. I do want to buy a newer one though, but just cause I want a newer one.
  • el1rodel1rod Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone out there heard of a recall from GMC on the fuel pumps? Mine just went out and the parts attendant told me that GMC had done a recall on the fuel pumps, but I never received any kind of notice.
  • tigmanphiltigmanphil Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2001 denali with just over 100,000 miles. The problems I've had were minor in comparison to newer models.
    I had the steering box replaced because it was making a whining noise and an emission part not sure what it was but it has been a great car for us. We will probably keep it for a couple more years.
  • yukon_girlyukon_girl Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1995 2 door. Most mechanics say that can't believe how great of shape it's in. I don't have near the mileage of the others on here, only 130, 000 +. I have spent a couple thousand replacing old/worn parts i.e. my ac compressor and radiator lasted up until this year. Made better than the junk produced to today, I will replace and repair as long as I can before buying newer.
  • davidjandavidjan Member Posts: 1
    A co-worker of mine just sold his 2001 Denali XL with just over 307,000 miles on it. His major complaint at the time of sale was that the sunroof stopped working! He's a resident engineer driving up and down the Eastern Seaboard.
  • qnessqness Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2001 Yukon XL Denali that has just over 130,000 miles. I love the vehicle. It has taken basic maintainence--brakes, oil, tires, and a couple of years ago about $3000 in repairs. Other than that it's great.
    But just came looking for some info on starting problems. I've had it in the shop a couple of times and they can't find the problem, even when I leave it over night, for slow to start when the engine is cold. It's only getting worse. I'll keep looking here to see if I can find info. I'd like to just keep running this truck as it's such a comfortable vehicle to drive on the road!
  • EddyGEddyG Member Posts: 1
    I've got a '95, 4 door, 4x4 that has 277,000 miles on it. No major engine repair, just worn out A/C, distributor system, and one power stearing pump, and one radiator replacement. Miles have been a combination of city, highway, towing, small amount of offroad, I don't baby it, and I'd not hesitate to get in and drive across country in it. Just regular oil change and lube. It's a good one. Hoping to get another 100,000 out of it.
  • chambergojdchambergojd Member Posts: 1
    this is my first time posting anything so here goes. I am really interested in purchasing a 2004 GMC Yukon SLT 4x4 that i've been looking at. I have a family of 5, wife and three boys. I currently have a 92 Honda Accord with about 247,000 miles on it, I love it but it is really cramped for kids as they are getting bigger. My question is what is average life in mileage in a Yukon. I am expecting it to consume a lot of gas as it is large suv, but is there anything is that i should be aware of as far as cost? I understand that if you do reagular maintenance on any vehicle it will last you a long time, but should i expect it to last as long as my accord realistically or not? Any info on this would be greatly appreciated, thank you.
  • rshtrsht Member Posts: 277
    This is just my opinion... kinda long, but just want to share my experience...
    When buying an used car from an unknown source not only has to do with some luck, but also how well the vehicle has been maintained/driven by the previous owner(s) and your ability to detect any potential problems (i.e. engine/transmission/axles fluid leaks...) before deciding to buy. In this Yukon forum, I have seen several owners with 200K+ miles on their Yukons & Tahoes, and yet for some with less than 20K miles are ready for a new one (not just Yukon or Tahoe, but, also on Honda Odysseys, Toyota Siennas, Jaguas, Land Rovers.... just to name a few). I guess what I am trying to say is when shopping for an used car, expect some imperfections, regardless of brand there are always some can disappoint. As far as I can say per my experience with my Yukon Denali, its one wonderful SUV, supper smooth highway cruiser, and sure footed in snowy and icy conditions in the Chicago area. FYI, I had traded-in my 2000 Toyota Land Cruiser (TLC) for my current Yukon Denali; the Denali, in my view its much more satisfying than my TLC, only except for being a true off-road vehicle. Best wish to you in finding a reliable Yukon for your growing family. BTW, my Yukon has the 6.2L V8, its almost as highway fuel efficient as my wife's 2005 Odyssey... Best Wish!
  • crapshooter0crapshooter0 Member Posts: 1
    We have a 98 Yukon with over 200k. We have had know major problems with it at all other then normal ware and tear items :)
  • jbrew7jbrew7 Member Posts: 17
    Wife and I are looking to purchase a used 07 -10 suburban or Yukon xl. Having a hard time choosing which engine. Is there that much difference in fuel economy between engines. We
    Ike the denali, but noticed in only comes in the non fuel management engine. We are only pulling a pop up tent trailer
  • bmendbmend Member Posts: 1
    I purchase my 2001 Yukon new directly from the GMC dealer. It had less than 10 miles on the meter when I drove it off the lot, currently I still own this vehicle and the meter now reads 314,007. I have change the tires, battery, water pump, alternator, various filters and of the course the oil at every 3000 miles. It still runs strong the oil pressure reads 60psi, it does not burn or leak oil. My air stopped blowing cold last summer and the front window motors need to be replaced. When this vehicle goes I would not hesitate to buy another 2001.
  • tireguytireguy Member Posts: 200
    Did you buy it? I can't say enough about the Yukon. I just turned 100k on my 04 Yukon XL SLT 4x4. I bought it brand new. I definitely didn't "baby" it, but I did take care of it. It's a Janesville, WI truck, not Mexican. And it was always garaged (except for during the three deployments I've endured during the last seven years). It's so gigantic, it only fits in my garage if I back it in and snug it against the workbench, then pull the Envoy in straight, also against the other wall, leaving an access path between the two mighty GMCs. My wife can't do that so when I went to Iraq, then Iraq again, then Afghanistn, sadly my precious Yukon had to sleep in the driveway. But I do feel that keeping it indoors does wonders to prevent those annoying electrical glitches which pop up over time. The only electrical issue I've had is the "Service 4wd." The dealer told me the push-button selector needs to be replaced, but it works fine. I think I had a tie-rod go in the first 15k miles, but GM replaced that. The 3rd brake light went out at about 90k--that wasn't cheap. And the XM radio dumps my presets sometimes. That's it! In 100k miles, which included tons of road trips between NC and PA, towing a cargo trailer full of furniture, tractors, you name it... trips to the beach, on the beach, to the mountains, in the snow... It's been a fantastic truck. I remember one time a friend of mine was in it, looked around at the leather, the space, felt the massive presence of the vehicle, and he goes, "You know, this is the nicest vehicle I've every been in." Just when you're starting to think of it as a luxury car, flip the seats down and the thing can haul two dozen sheets of plywood. With the long body (XL, Sub) there's at least two feet of cargo space BEHIND the 3rd row seat. Plenty of room for a double stroller, soccer gear, cooler, whatever. I have three kids, might have one more before the Yukon's time is done. You can't beat the truck for those road trips between NC and PA, and it's nice to not even care if there's a blizzard in the forecast. I have the 3.73s and the tow package. I took off the Bridgestone tires at just under 20k miles, put on a set of BFG All-Terrain T/As, and just replaced them with the same at 95k. That was over $1,000 at Sam's Club. Be ready for that if you buy a used one with thin tread on the tires. Hey, but that's the price you pay to be able to drive in loose sand on the beach or 2 feet of snow in the mountains. If you don't need that, buy a minivan. The only upgrade I did was to rip off the plastic running boards and replace them with Westin stainless tubes. I also added Air Ride air bags to boost the capacity of the coil springs in the rear.
    I'm 35 years old and I don't ever see myself without this truck. It will have classic plates on it one day. They just don't build em like that anymore.
    But I guarantee you I'll always have my little economy car to run around town. While the Yukon usually gets 15-17 mpg, filling that tank up is never fun, especially in times like these. $4.00 x 32 gallons = $128.00. Regardless of the price of gas, you can't fit seven people, a black lab, and 300 lbs of luggage in a VW Jetta. . ;)
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited March 2011
    Hi Tireguy, glad to see you checking in again. Good to hear that you are getting such great service out of your Yukon. And thanks for your tours! (but I still miss your tire shop stories after all these years).
  • oldburbnewcx9oldburbnewcx9 Member Posts: 53
    I currently drive every day 1993 GMC Suburban 227,000 miles. Big issues other than wear and tear was radiator at 38 months and another 34 months later but still on the 3rd 12 years later. Ingnition control module failed at 15 years with 190,000 miles. fuel pump failed at 12 years and 160,000 miles. My kids grew up in this car. Long camping vacations with popup trailer. This car is a keeper. I recently purchased a Mazda CX-9 but kept the Suburban as a daily driver to work and Home Depot/Lowes/Home Garden vehicle. I recommend buying one.
  • chevygurl70chevygurl70 Member Posts: 1
    I just bought my 93 Yukon 4x4 last year it has 185000+ miles on it and it is still a strong good looking truck. I hope it will last as long as my favorite truck did my 80 Chevy Silverado C10 it had 397000+ miles on it before it got stolen last year.
  • gmhellmangmhellman Member Posts: 121
    I have 92,000 miles on my Yukon and it still is going strong. When I hit 100,000 miles I will be draining all fluids, replacing with a quality synthetic (transfer case will be GM fluid for the autotrac) as well as new wires, and iridium plugs. I will have the body gone over and have replaced the leather seat covers in the front. (www.theseatstore.com is a great website!!!) New Radio buttons and I replaced the steeing wheel with a new OEM (ebay is great). I tow a 26 foot travel trailer in the summers with this also......so I don't baby it.

I believe I could drive this through the 7th level of Dant'es Inferno and it would come out clean. If you have the chance to buy one do it, but make sure that it is in good repair, and garaged if possible.
  • madkatmadkat Member Posts: 1
    In reply to your question on how long a 2004 GMC Yukon XL will last? My son's 2004 Yukon XL 4x4 has just past 440,000 and is doing very well in Alberta, Canada.
    Kilometers or miles?

Either way is terrific. :-)
  • donewithgmsdonewithgms Member Posts: 24
    I would NOT recommend any suburban or Yukon XL from 07 -10.

I currently have a 2007 Yukon XL 5.3. It has had numerous problems and currently needs a new engine (170, 000 miles). The new engine issue is a result of a defect that GM is aware and will sometimes replace if your truck is still under warranty. Basicially a part that controls the oil is bad and in the end it starts fouling the plugs and the emission system. Look under the "excessive oil consumption" thread.

In addition if you look at another thread on edmunds "reduced engine power" you will see that all the model years that you are looking at have a problem with the "throttle body sensor" again, GM is aware of the issue, but no recall.

These models look good, but have lots of problems! T
  • cper25cper25 Member Posts: 1
    Hey

I am currently research and looking at getting a 2011-2012, or a possible 13 Yukon SLT 5.3L V8 with low miles at the end of this year. My biggest question is reliability. I mainly going to use this vehicle for work, which requires me to view properties, meet clients, meet with brokers, and going to closings, training, classes... pretty much on the go all the time. I am not worry about maintenance cost or gas mileage for that matter. I more worry about reliability issues, for instance I don't want to have a client riding with me to show them a property and all of sudden the Yukon dies with no warning as many in the posts/forums mention.

I have taken everything into consideration and my own concern is reliability. I have owned GM products before, but had several bad experiences with them. I figure when it comes to SUV and trucks I am willing to give GM another try, but not without feedback from other Yukon owners.

I have calculated that between work and occasional trips out of town to a neighboring state, I am planning on putting at least 45,000 - 50,000 miles a year on it (mostly highway). If I do decide to purchase a Yukon, I am planning on keeping the Yukon until whenever. So I am not planning on trading it in or selling it once I purchase one.

My biggest question is reliability on the 2011-2013 Yukons well enough to sustained the above average wear and tear in terms of daily driving?

Thanks,
    cper25 :)
  • retroguyretroguy Member Posts: 1
    Your son (and others on here) must have good luck or I must have bad luck! I have an '05 Yukon SLE which I bought brand new from the dealer in November 2005 (with year end rebates from the OLD GM I actually got $11,500 off the sticker!). It's pretty stripped with only the "sun sound entertainment package" which means it has a sunroof and bose speakers. It even has cloth seats (which I wanted). For the first year and a half, it spent a few days every other month or so at the dealer for warranty work. Many sensors went bad and had to be replaced. The CD player stopped working and they had to replace the radio unit. The best was when the truck was 4 months old and the exhaust system fell out of it 90 miles from home! Being Thursday night of easter weekend, the local dealer would not honor GM's policy and give me a free car while the problem was looked at and fixed the following Monday! The truck now has 146,000 miles on it and I would say I've spent over $5,000 on repairs (not including all the warranty work). One of my biggest issues is a constant vibration I always seem to have. You can feel it on the floor and on the steering wheel. The dealer cannot seem to be able to diagnose it. One thing I had to have done 2 years ago is to have the rear end dropped as rust was wrapped all around the axle (I live in the northeast and drive it all winter in the snow). I just had the same issue with the rust around the front ball joints and calipers taken care of last week when I had new front brakes and rotors. Tires and brakes are an issue with this vehicle and I replace them about every 3 years. Tomorrow I get my 4th set of tires put on (although I DID manage to get 56K out of the last set which were general grabbers). What drives me nuts are all the little lights that burned out on the steering wheel buttons, radio, climate control and gear shift. They are soldered on and not easily fixed. I bought new steering wheel buttons and had them installed last week. Now I am trying to find a local car stereo shop or auto repair who knows how to solder to replace all the back lights in the radio and climate control. Finally, my front grille (not the insert) started to pit and the finish is wearing off. I have to look into getting that replaced. It's a WONDERFUL truck and I want to see if I can get up to over 300K like so many guys on here. I can get through any kind of snow storm or even what hurricane Sandy did to us last fall. Maybe it's just me, but I did expect a bit better quality for a $43,000 truck. Remember, all these problems happened when it had very little mileage. Also, I've never been able to get more than 14.5 MPG on the highway (since new) with this truck despite the fact some guys can get 18 or 19. One last thing the dealer cannot seem to fix is that I constantly have a "check tire pressure sensor" light coming on and even though 3 of the 4 sensors have been replaced, they cannot figure out what makes the light come on. What I am looking into doing now is to add a denali "honeycomb" grille insert and to install one of the burl wood dash kits in mine to make it a bit fancier. I need this kind of truck for my health (severe back and hip problems) and I will say that except for the exhaust system falling out, I've never actually gotten stuck or broke down with this truck so I DO want to keep it for as long as I can, especially given the price of new ones.
  • agr8daagr8da Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1999 Yukon that we bought new and have kept up all maintenance. It currently has 170,000 miles. We are not mechanical at all so all work has to be done by a mechanic. We have put an average of $2,000 a year in repairs for the last 6 years or so. Additionally, we replaced the transmission at a cost of $5,000. In the last 2 months we have but in $400 worth and now find we need a new catalytic converter at an expense of $1800. Our 4wd no longer works so we can only drive the vehicle in 2 wd. Other than that the body and interior is in excellent condition. The question is: do we spend another $1800 for the catalytic converter so we can pass emissions or do we say a fond farewell to a truck we dearly love? What more can we expect to go wrong at this point?
  • darienr1darienr1 Member Posts: 1
    Replying to the original question: I don't like to go with stereotypes, as everyone's situation is different and you're going to hear what that particular person's experience left in their mouth in terms of an impression. However good or bad that experience was will result in what you hear when you ask this type of question on a forum. you never really hear what the mitigating circumstances were, only what that persons and result ended up being, so you really don't have very much to go on other than their opinion which of course may be clouded and does not necessarily represent the truth, if they had a bad experience. I've heard all kinds of stories both on the good and on the bad side for General Motors. Am I a GM man? Maybe. If you answer that question based on how many of their vehicles I have owned, then the answer is definitely yes. That is not to say that every GM vehicle I've owned has not given me problems. I owned a Camaro that gave me so many headaches, but I loved the car. I had a Pontiac Firebird with a huge 350 engine, but it was slow as hell compared to my 305 Camaro. I had a Buick Le Sabre that was like driving a couch on wheels, but it leaked when it rained. I had a Pontiac transport that during a snowstorm was the only vehicle that was able to not only start but stay on the road, but unfortunately the air conditioning nor did the heater ever work correctly. In 2003 I purchased and Yukon Denali XL, and I can tell you I've taken care of it, and as a result, it still runs today, same as it did when I pulled it off the lot with 5 miles on the odometer from me test driving it around the block, but now at 250000 miles plus, with original engine and original tranny, it does not stop. Has it all been a walk in the park? Hell no. I would be lying if I said otherwise. There has been a few recall items; issues with the speedometer, front differential bearings, and odd glitches from time to time. What I can say is that as long as I took care of this vehicle and maintained it regularly, it took care of me and my family, and never left us stranded(as long as we put gas in it). The truck has become literally part of our family; our kids grew up in this truck, and it has traveled 90 percent of the United States, and taken us safely back home. I don't know if this vehicle will last forever, but I can tell you this: we will move into the age of teleportation and flying vehicles, and in that age, I will still be faithfully driving this Truck. You can take that to the bank. I've owned beamers, mercs, all kinds of domestic and import vehicles. Not one has won my heart over like my 2003 GMC Yukon Denali XL. None.
  • tcaseltcasel Member Posts: 1
    edited November 2013
    I'm almost at another mile stone with my car. :) I have 274,000 miles on my truck. I must say I haven't any real issues besides a couple of water pumps replaced. Now, I'm having a oil pressure issue with my oil pressure reading low. Oil pump works, but I think it may be the lifters going bad. I want to replace the engine and just get a remanufacture one from Advance Auto. Any suggestions?
  • 3md_4ma3md_4ma Member Posts: 1
    I bought my 2003 Yukon XL 4WD new, and just turned over 203,000. Lots of highway miles, plenty of 4WD use, frequent towing of 5000+ lb boat & trailer. Lifetime mileage 15.3 mpg. In the shop now for its third major repair (broken exhaust manifold bolts - common problem for GM trucks). Replaced water pump @ 90K, front wheel bearings @160K. Rear self-leveling shocks replaced with same brand as OEM at 1/4 the cost. A few other minor repairs, and regular maintenance of engine, transmission, F&R differentials. On its third set of tires - they should be good for another 10K or so. Body and interior still in great shape - hope to keep this workhorse for another 50K miles, can't afford another new one!!
  • debtwylerdebtwyler Member Posts: 1
    Ive recently been in the search of another vehicle since I've just had my third child. My wife and I stepped into the realm of getting a larger car. We currently have a jeep compass 2007, and obviously its seating capacity and trunk space is not enough. The GMC 2001-2004 xl slt has been an attention grabber as it seems to provide strength, space and comfortability.

A buddy of mine is getting rid of his for $5000 @130k mi. Is this considerably a good buy? I'm really leaning toward on getting it, having it for at least 6years strong for daily commute and family roadtrips (beach, snow, tow, etc).

Let me know what you guys think.
    Friend of mine has been searching hard the last couple of weeks for a used SUV or truck and he doesn't want to spend over $5k. He's not having much luck finding anything decent.

Since you know the seller, and presumably have access to the maintenance records, I'd say it's probably a good deal. You didn't mention how many miles you drive a year but 60,000 miles is probably doable without too many repairs.
  • mightyzmightyz Member Posts: 1
    Hey Debtwyler, please let your buddy know that if you don't want his XL, I will by it for $5000.00 right now. I own a 2003 YUKON (200,000 miles and running awesome) right now and my kids are a little older now (around 9 yrs). We need more trunk space and I am looking for an XL and have to sell mine. That is an awesome deal!!
  • driver_tvdriver_tv Member Posts: 1
    My 2003 Yukon with 208,000 miles still has the original equipment brakes. I bought it new and have only bought tires and had them balanced and rotated and the alignment checked at each oil change. Other than that, wiper blades and an occasional bulb replacement, it has cost me only gas. Has anyone heard of brakes lasting this long?
  • StylistDaveStylistDave Member Posts: 1
    217,000 on my 99 Yukon and she is still running strong. Ugly as all hell, (like me), but the motor is strong, (like me). That 5.7 350 Vortec is one hell of a motor. I'm looking at upgrading now, but not to much newer because they screwed up when they added the AFM. I wouldn't touch one with that. Anyway, I drop a couple hundred every other month or so on worn parts to keep her running. New cats a few months ago was this years biggest buy, and the fuel spider was last years biggest buy. Other than that, just standard upkeep.
  • dominic33dominic33 Member Posts: 2
    kimdvm1 said:
    I have a 2000 Yukon Denali (the last year that Denalis were made with a true 4WD like the Yukon) that I purchased in 1999 and it has 185,000 miles, still going strong. My total service costs over those 8 years has been about $4000. Sure there are times where several things go wrong at once but then I might have a year without a repair bill. I am looking to replace it now; I have a 40-mile commute to work and I am the revenue producer at my office, so I can't afford to break down on the way to work. This vehicle used to occasionally tow a heavy camper. I also have to admit it is driven pretty hard, not conservatively, so I am thrilled with it. We use the 4WD in the winter or in wet conditions. Now that it has more miles, it might use a quart of oil between the oil changes (which I get every 5000 miles). Still no tranny leaks, no 4WD problems.

• dominic33dominic33 Member Posts: 2
    I have a,2000  Yukon  XL , 330,000 miles.  Best truck ever .
  • jmmed2008jmmed2008 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 GMC Yukon XL that has 318,000 and still going strong
  • drriga1drriga1 Member Posts: 1
    edited January 2016
    This 2002 GMC Yukon XL SLT was fully loaded, bought brand new with .2 miles on the odometer and now has over 335,000 miles! After the 2nd year, I purchased another Yukon XL Souther Comfort one, it had 110,000 on the odometer when I sold it 5 years ago. I could have had over 400,000 miles on this one! My Red Yukon XL with a 5.3 engine is is great shape, original Engine, no oil leaks but here is the kicker: I Totaled when I was hit in a MicroBurst that put me in a creek November 2011, as it had 232,000 miles and I was put under WATER! It was totaled, I bought it back for $1,300 and proceeded to clean it up! 8 hours underneath, to scrape the MUD and debris from the under carriage, sucked the water out of the engine, It Started Right UP!~ Oh My! I was excited! Water destroyed the transmission, but it ran with no issues! How is this Vehicle still going strong? Thank you GM for the best Vehicle ever Built! Call me if you wish, as I am happy to send pix or data! Scott
    [contact information removed]
  • shanaxlshanaxl Member Posts: 2
    Proud owner of a 02 yukon xl that has 300,000 miles and original motor and trans. YES I TYPED IT CORRECTLY 300,000 AND I AM JUST NOW HAVING TO PUT REAL MO NY INTO , the water pump and pullie so far but that thing still runs like a champ ....thinking maybe G M C should put in their show room or something
  • shanaxlshanaxl Member Posts: 2
    Best yet it was bought from Edmund ...
  • catfish21catfish21 Member Posts: 1
    been in a few hits from other people and power company but my Yukon keeps on going, 1999 Yukon bought on ebay back in 2005 with 60000 on it now 2017 still going 314000 and still runs good.
  • polarbear66polarbear66 Member Posts: 1
    I found a GMC Denali black in color with 250,000 miles on it. Has new tires with nice wheels & inside is nice. I have talked her down to $2400.00 dollars. She said it doesn't use any oil. Transmission shifts smoothly and properly in every gear. The motor, transmission & AWD are the original from factory. I just need to go & look at it. What does everyone think about this?
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    Coming in late here...I guess it depends on how much you're going to drive it. If it's a third car that you'll drive 5000-7500 miles a year it may last a long time. If you're a 20,000 mile/yr. driver you're pushing it.

Remember one major hiccup and it's totaled. Lose a transmission and it's off to the junkyard. 2400.00 isn't a huge amount of money to lose so just know, you're rolling the dice!

Do you feel lucky?
  • screamname69screamname69 Member Posts: 1
    My parents bought an 01 SLE brand new. 5.3L  Shes barely broke in at 391,630 miles. Only current issue is the *orginal* AC compressor is starting to wear out. Still blows cold though. Engine never been rebuilt. Never had a major breakdown. Original fuel pump just went out. The new one oughta last till around 750,000 miles. The trick?  *Proper* factory break in procedure, oil changed every 3000 miles regardless of driving conditions. She still drives like a dream. 
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    The most serious issue with high mileage vehicles is often overlooked by buyers. It doesn't matter so much if it "runs well"--the better question is---"Is It Safe"? An old truck like this can run quite well and yet have ball joints and tie rods that are ready to fall out, or structural failures like broken welds or cracks in the suspension anchor points. . When this happens the results are often disastrous.
  • mark44timemark44time Member Posts: 1
    Have a 2003 Yukon SLT with 5.3 engine, was thinking about trading it in but it runs so good, has 104,000 miles with original brakes, love the room, just moved my son to college, got 17 miles a gallon and so comfortable to drive and pass other cars. Was looking at the 2016 450 Mercedes SUV for $50,000. But decided against it and just got a service changed plugs and wires and finally changed the coolant, it still looked good. Replaced the brake fluid too.
    After reading these other reviews, I’ve decided to keep it.
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    Is the 5.3 GM engine the inline six?
  • sharonyambaskysharonyambasky Member Posts: 2
    mtngrl05 said:

Just wondering if anyone has any Yukons out there with high miles that are still going strong.

mtngrl05 said:

kimdvm1 said:

I have a 2000 Yukon Denali (the last year that Denalis were made with a true 4WD like the Yukon) that I purchased in 1999 and it has 185,000 miles, still going strong.

My total service costs over those 8 years has been about $4000. Sure there are times where several things go wrong at once but then I might have a year without a repair bill.

I am looking to replace it now; I have a 40-mile commute to work and I am the revenue producer at my office, so I can't afford to break down on the way to work.

This vehicle used to occasionally tow a heavy camper. I also have to admit it is driven pretty hard, not conservatively, so I am thrilled with it. We use the 4WD in the winter or in wet conditions. Now that it has more miles, it might use a quart of oil between the oil changes (which I get every 5000 miles). Still no tranny leaks, no 4WD problems.

• sharonyambaskysharonyambasky Member Posts: 2
    edited December 2017
    I have a 2001 GMC Yukon. It was my 22nd wedding anniversary gift from my husband. I love my Yukon. It now has 150,000 miles. My husband passed away and I will keep it as long as I can for both reasons.
    We have done brakes,Tires, left and right front axle seals, catalytic converter. Drivers window motor…AC tensioner belt ,Four-wheel-drive stopped working, repaired. Was told it was the module. Oil every 4000 miles, Coolant flush. Don’t know what else to expect. There is rust on the engine.
    My answer to everything was “ hey honey” so how do I stop the engine rust? Also had the truck painted. Rust in the tailgate and behind each tire on the panel between the rear tire and the bumper Replaced drivers door hinge this year now making a popping noise.
    I have pretty much been the sole driver of this truck since day one. Pull the boat with that up north couple weeks a year, and jet skis here at home, to play in Lake Erie .
    As a widow ,should I keep this truck, or do something different. I was hoping for another 200,000 miles… But I can’t afford thousand in repairs. What should I do? Come on guys help a girl out, and tell me what to do. I live in Southeast Michigan, and we get snow and salt so that’s probably the Result, as far as the rust goes. Completely repainted and OK now
  • ken4fun2ken4fun2 Member Posts: 1
    2001 Yukon XL 208,000 Miles. Normal maintenance,  tires, plugs etc. Fuel pump and water pump. Runs great 
  • Yukon2007QueYukon2007Que Member Posts: 1
    Hello fello Yukon owners. I currently own or have purchased an 2007 GMC Yukon 4x4... I bought with 223,000 miles on it.. Runs great. All highway miles.. I drive up and down I-95, 495. I live in the DMV area. My truck is clean does it work.. Question? Can I get 100k miles on her....