Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,333
    carnaught said:

28ff: that's very cool. Need to get it framed and displayed prominently, like in your man-cave.

That's the plan! Though no man-cave for me - urban living these days gives me a small office and that's about it!
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,852
    qbrozen said:

so far so good with the Landy. Did already have our first Brit car glitch, though. The next morning after bringing it home, we were driving around and the "Bonnet Open" message kept flashing on the dash. I pulled over and checked it out. Nope, its secure. A couple of days later, while sitting at home, the alarm started sounding. Searching the interwebs told me it is a problem several people have had and replacing the sensor is the answer, but it will likely go bad again. I don't see the reason for the sensor; I've gotten along without one my entire life; so after learning that a closed circuit is OFF in this instance, I just cut the wires and nutted them together. Problem solved. :)

Sounds like my Power Pedal fix in my car. Manually adjusted to where they need to be and pulled the wiring to the switch!

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,236
    The sensor is there so it can display the endearing British term "bonnet." That actually kind of makes me want a Land Rover. 
  • MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,103

carnaught said:

28ff: that's very cool. Need to get it framed and displayed prominently, like in your man-cave.

That's the plan! Though no man-cave for me - urban living these days gives me a small office and that's about it!
    Speaking of which, perhaps I can prevail upon everyone here for some suggestions. My home office is in need of some artwork, and the wife has allowed me to "choose" (with her approval) something suitable.

I'd like to find some sort of automotive related art, but the one item I chose - a map of the Laguna Seca raceway - was shot down as being "boring".

If you can find something cool and art-y, post the link and I'll review it. The color scheme in our house is blue and grey, with some wood accents to warm things up.

Thanks in advance!

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    I love the old art deco racing posters from pre-war Europe, if you can find any reproductions.
  • suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    There are a lot of reproductions of vintage automobile posters available on Amazon and other places. Gorgeous cars.
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,759

My wife finally appreciates my obsession with my GTI. She gave me this tonight as an early Hanukkah present. I'm a lucky guy!

Funny enough, my Dad drove a MkI GTI when he was my age, about 30 years ago. 

It's almost shocking how little the car looks to have changed by way of that poster!
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,435
    Michael, if only you knew a famous cartoonist who could send you a cool signed print. That would look great on the wall.

B)

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

I bet my wife could whip up something cool for you, Michael, but she hates it when I volunteer her for stuff (especially art-related), so....

I'll just have to leave it at that. LOL
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,103
    stickguy said:

Michael, if only you knew a famous cartoonist who could send you a cool signed print. That would look great on the wall.

B)

Maybe I'll send a PM to that certain someone ... great idea!

I love the old art deco racing posters from pre-war Europe, if you can find any reproductions.

I wouldn't mind something from Monaco ...
    suydam said:

There are a lot of reproductions of vintage automobile posters available on Amazon and other places. Gorgeous cars.

I'll have to take a look.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• breldbreld Member Posts: 6,698
    qbrozen said:

so far so good with the Landy. Did already have our first Brit car glitch, though. The next morning after bringing it home, we were driving around and the "Bonnet Open" message kept flashing on the dash. I pulled over and checked it out. Nope, its secure. A couple of days later, while sitting at home, the alarm started sounding. Searching the interwebs told me it is a problem several people have had and replacing the sensor is the answer, but it will likely go bad again. I don't see the reason for the sensor; I've gotten along without one my entire life; so after learning that a closed circuit is OFF in this instance, I just cut the wires and nutted them together. Problem solved. :)

And your ability and willingness to do those kind of things is exactly why you're a great buyer for such a car. Me? I'd probably be at the dealership/repair shop and end up paying a couple hundred to get it addressed.

By the way, congrats on the punch!

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,889
    breld said:

And your ability and willingness to do those kind of things is exactly why you're a great buyer for such a car. Me? I'd probably be at the dealership/repair shop and end up paying a couple hundred to get it addressed.

By the way, congrats on the punch!

Thanks. And, yes, its kind of funny that I rarely suggest people buy what I buy. So when someone asks me what I might recommend, I might say Hyundai or Mazda or something similar. Then they'll say "well you drive a xxxx. You don't like it?" Then I have to explain what a great car I think it is but that I could never recommend it to someone who is going to pay a mechanic to take care of it.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372

Mankind has been changing flat tires for at least 110 years prior to run flats. We seemed to have survived okay.

Learning to change a tire was second on the list for the kids right after they learned how to get the car moving with a manual transmission ;)

Of course, they never learned about using this old standard from the days of real bumpers!

Oh, are you in a museum?
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Some people think I SHOULD be in a museum...LOL

It's not my fault that there's STUFF in my basement
    edited December 2015
    PF_Flyer said:

Mankind has been changing flat tires for at least 110 years prior to run flats. We seemed to have survived okay.

Learning to change a tire was second on the list for the kids right after they learned how to get the car moving with a manual transmission ;)

Of course, they never learned about using this old standard from the days of real bumpers!

That's pretty funny, PF. I just used one of those jacks (well, one very similar to it) a couple nights ago. My poor plow truck is in need of some serious TLC..... :(
  • nelsonfnelsonf Member Posts: 104
    My very first car was a '72 Ford Torino. It came with a bumper jack similar to that. Tough bumpers in those days!

Currently own: 2017 BMW M4, 2011 Nissan Frontier Pro-4X Used to own: 2008 VW R32, 1998 Jeep Cherokee Sport, 1987 BMW 325IS

That looks like it should be on American Pickers!
  • ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,029
    Michaell said:

I'd like to find some sort of automotive related art, but the one item I chose - a map of the Laguna Seca raceway - was shot down as being "boring".

If you can find something cool and art-y, post the link and I'll review it. The color scheme in our house is blue and grey, with some wood accents to warm things up.

Thanks in advance!

I've always been partial to this. My buddy has one that is clear-mounted hanging on his wall. They seem to be out of print now.

Not boring, but your wife may still not approve.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    My very first car was a '72 Ford Torino. It came with a bumper jack similar to that. Tough bumpers in those days!

What version of the Torino? I always kind of liked the 2 door fastback coupe in 72.
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312
    Here are a couple of posters I display in my basement HT/Game Room:

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    I'm checking out 'Fast and Furious 7' now - but I fell asleep watching it! Stay tuned for a more comprehensive report soon, though. :D

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

I like the franchise; sure, it's OTT, but it's sole purpose is to entertain, and each entry has some high and low points. As for F7, several of the set pieces are dynamite; I use the sequence where the team intercepts the bus carrying Ramsey to showcase my primary HT.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

This is pretty hilarious if you buy into any of the stereotypes about Camry drivers:

"You drive the most vanilla of vehicular appliances, oblivious to everyone and everything you float past. And when backing up, your oblivion extends to those immovable objects that will put a big dent in the corner of your bumper. Of course, you would never bother to get it fixed as it would just happen again. Yes, you are a Camry driver!"

https://www.facebook.com/CamryCorners/

just spent 5 minutes cruising through posts there. great stuff.

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,029
    berri said:

What version of the Torino? I always kind of liked the 2 door fastback coupe in 72.

The '72 Torino GT was my absolute favorite version of that model, even if it is rather big and bulky. Just a great-looking car.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

My dad had a bright yellow 1970 Torino- complete with "Laser Stripes" and the shaker hood. The 351C 4V was a nice motor, but it was a bit puny for the Torino. Pretty much the twin of this car- only with a black shaker scoop:

Definitely a chest-beater, like the early 442s.
  • henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289
    Ah, bumper jacks! Everytime I think about bumper jacks, I remember a story from my misspent youth.

The summer of 1965, I was 14 years old, and had my first regular paying job. I worked in a Gulf Service Station, from 6 p.m. to 6 a.m., 6 nights a week. For 72 hours work, I was paid the princely sum of $45 (minus withholding, of course). The service station was owned / operated by a friend of my fathers. From around 7 or 8 p.m., until relieved the next morning at 6 a.m., I ran the station by myself.

This was in a small town in East Texas, about 75 miles north of Houston. This was not a one-light town, we had two red lights (although one defaulted to blinking red after 9 p.m.) The one and only convenience store closed at 8 p.m., after that my station was the only thing open in town. There was a truck stop / diner about 6 miles south of town that was open 24 hours. As I recall, the sign at the city limits proudly proclaimed our population as 3,280.

One of the local characters, I’ll call him Blackie (not his real name), was a young man in his mid 20’s. He had a girl friend who lived in Houston, a very attractive young woman, with a good job, and a nice car (a Thunderbird). Having an attractive girlfriend, from the big city, with a good job and a nice car, really elevated Blackie’s status, as you might imagine. Most of the time, Blackie would travel down to Houston to see her, but on this one occasion Blackie’s car was out of commission and she came up to see him.

The entire county we lived in was “dry” (no alcohol sales), so on Saturday night everyone drove across the river to Hoyt’s Tavern to party. A real old fashioned hell hole, country and western music, dance floor, beer and setups. So late on this particular Saturday night, around 2:30 or 3:00 a.m., the Thunderbird pulls into my station, rolling on a flat tire. The girl friend is driving, Blackie is in the passenger seat, bleeding like a stuck pig.

It seems they had a blowout on the highway heading back from the tavern after closing time. He tries to use the bumper jack, but he is so blind drunk he can’t find the slot in the bumper that the jack slips into. So he sticks the bumper jack in front of the flat tire, and tries to jack up the car using the fender skirt. (I never said Blackie was smart, everyone envied him the attractive girlfriend and not much else.) Of course, this doesn’t work, the sheet metal fender skirt rips, and Blackie cuts his hand wide open on the jagged sheet metal.

My first thought was to get Blackie some medical attention before he bled to death, but he was adamant that he was not going to the hospital. So the girl friend and I manage to stop the bleeding, using a pressure bandage. All we had there at the station was friction tape (think black electrical tape, only thicker) and the common red grease rags. I used the cleanest grease rag I could find, and about half a roll of friction tape, and actually did stop the bleeding.

As soon as the bleeding was stopped, the girl friend wanted her car fixed so she could go home. I put the spare on the ground for her, and she took off for Houston and home. She was a bit miffed, the damage to the fender skirt, and blood all over the inside of her nice new Thunderbird. Meanwhile I have Blackie on my hands, he is asleep in a chair in the middle of the station. I just left him there, for the day shift to take care of.
    2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    lol, what a mess.

My story is taking the family Falcon (66ish, never can remember) out for a drive soon after I got my license.

Just like now, I always liked tooling down little dirt roads to see where they went. I wound up crusing by an old farm house and wound up driving a field road. It was a bit slick out so I started looking for a good solid place to turn around. I found it on the GM&O railroad track, the main line between Memphis and Birmingham.

Didn't take long to get crossways on the tracks and the Falcon wasn't budging. So I jacked up the rear of the car and pushed it off the jack, moving the car a foot, and did that again. That got me back straight so I could back down the crossing and back to the field road.

Going back home I heard a freight passing through. :)
    Getting those jacks to release was real fun, too. You sort of jack it up one notch with one hand, flipped a lever with the other, and let go and ran for your life as the car slammed down.
  • nelsonfnelsonf Member Posts: 104
    berri said:

That's the one I had. Dark blue fastback with a vinyl roof, 351 Cleveland, auto trans.

I always liked the front end of the '72 over the '73-'74 "Starsky and Hutch" front end. Mine looked like this, only not so nice:

http://onscreencars.com/content/uploads/2010/01/552.jpg

Currently own: 2017 BMW M4, 2011 Nissan Frontier Pro-4X Used to own: 2008 VW R32, 1998 Jeep Cherokee Sport, 1987 BMW 325IS

My 89 Grand Marquis and Town Car both had bumper jacks.  I don't remember having any problems with them but the scissor jacks are better.  

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188
    tjc78 said:

My 89 Grand Marquis and Town Car both had bumper jacks.  I don't remember having any problems with them but the scissor jacks are better.  

A lot of the bumpers had a nice slot for the bumper jack, especially back when we had metal bumpers. They worked a lot better and were quicker than the scissor jack, though maybe a little less stable.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Nelson, that's a sharp looking car. I'm not sure, but I believe in 72 you could also get the Torino GT package on the notchback, but the fast back looked much sleeker to me. However, the notchback could have also been a GT look alike instead. I remember the Heavy Chevy cheap version of a Malibu SS back around then, and I think Pontiac did that as well.

I also thought Ford Torino styling took a step backwards in 73, just like the Plymouth Satellite Sebring did. But IIRC I think that the 72 Torino fastback wasn't a huge seller for whatever reasons. Also, I suspect new safety regs caused some of the front end changes.
    Roadburner, one of the guys I was in college with suffered his father's unexpected passing away. But he was a fireman with a good survivor's pension for his wife and a decent life insurance policy. So his mother bought him a 69 Torino in a similar shade of yellow. Nice car.
  • Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,952
    We had a '72 Ford Torino GT, black vinyl top over white with black stripes. Worst car we ever owned, bar none!! Dad let me & a friend drive it home from the Ford store but halfway there, the engine died and had to be towed back to Ford. They gave us a new Mustang loaner for the next week!! The engine was so fine tuned that they couldn't get it right for a few months and it was in the shop at least once every 10 days or so! Always gave us nice loaners though and think they were quite embarrassed that it took months to get it fixed correctly. Made a great sound when nailing the accelerator but jeez, what a mess of an automobile! I wanted him to get the Pontiac GTO instead but my brother wanted the Ford and since it was our first Ford vehicle, Lincoln's don't really count, he went for it. What an f'ing mistake though!! Our '66 and '72 Lincoln's were flawless vehicles...almost as good as the previous 7 or so Caddy's we had.
    Went to Pontiac's after the Ford and after he died, my mother went with Mercury Grand Marquis as her broom of choice, a few of them all blue vinyl 1/2 top over white with a blue interior and that fake tire holder on the rear bumper...very big in their retirement country club. Those brooms were totally hideous actually!!!

The Sandman :)B)

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

Nelsonf, our car exactly but black vinyl top over white with black stripes. My brother ended up with it at college after my dad had had enough with it. Sold it to him for a nominal fee since he didn't want to give the four of us our own vehicles. Never understood why since the man was loaded, totally loaded!
    Was very cheap, I mean, frugal!!

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

Drove a 2015 Chevy Trax at work yesterday and it was actually not that bad. Size wise, pretty perfect...seems a bit smaller than the Tucson. Prefer an Encore since it looks better inside and out...Buick just seemed to get this one right honestly. Nicer dash and seats as well as rest of interior...Buicks just are so much nicer than their Chevy cousins. Almost bought one back in 2013but settled on the Tucson as there were more of a selection. Again, think if I had gone with the Encore, I'd still have it. Think the Tucson was just too plain for my liking, the way a vehicle speaks to me in the looks department has a lot to do with how much I actually want it. Nice alloys really turn my head as well as being the top model since I really want all the goodies I can get to be honest. Definitely prefer the top lux models of most vehicles...has to have nice alloys, leather or pleather if possible. Just seem to prefer the high line models with all the bells and whistles...I want what I want, period! Guess I have spoiled myself a bit and personally, would like a newer model every other year if possible.
    My kid was raggin' at me earlier about how it was a waste to turn in that Tucson after just a year and tried to explain that I like nicer vehicles with a lot of bling. She just doesn't understand it and was tired of trying to explain it to her. Just told her to skip it and not worry about my vehicular purchases since I can afford what I buy. And I would never buy if I didn't have the funds which is the plain truth. Won't buy if the cash ain't there. Would finance for 0% interest, maybe 0.9% if that was the lowest available. And to get a rebate, but would pay off the balance as soon as the rules permitted like we did with our kids Versa. The discount was just too good to pass up with using their financing for the short period we were obligated to. The rebate was just too good to pass up we figured.

Has anyone driven a Cruze diesel?
    I don't think I have ever ssen one in person.

Has anyone driven a Cruze diesel?

No. I hear VW is considering rebadging them as the Jetta Honestly We Promise Clean Diesel.
    Hey Stick not a bad marketing angle: "Chevy Cruze Diesel--it cannot tell a lie".
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373
    @Mr_Shiftright - there is a poster on the diesel thread who has one and seems to be seriously knowledgeable about it, not just a diesel fanboy. @socal_eric

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

Good idea! I'll check him out. I'm thinking of a three vehicle line up here. A beater  work truck, a work and commuting car, & a totally fun car. 
  • graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    Didn't realize GM was making a passenger diesel anything anymore.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373
    @graphicguy - yes.  The Cruze Diesel is a nice little car. Fantastic range.  Like most diesels, if you are "looking to save money," you won't.  A Cruze 1LT will be a lot cheaper out the door, but if you compare it to the Cruze LTZ, there is no comparison.  GM didn't just drop a diesel up front & call it a day.  They tweaked the suspension & added extra sound deadening material like in the Platform Twin Buick Verano.  If you can find a dealer's "lot queen" it is a nice car that will sell with a healthy discount from MSRP.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,889
    surprisingly, I don't believe I have ever had a car with a bumper jack. Or, if I did, I never used it.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188
    qbrozen said:

surprisingly, I don't believe I have ever had a car with a bumper jack. Or, if I did, I never used it.

Died out in the mid-'70s, I think

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

kyfdx said:

qbrozen said:

Died out in the mid-'70s, I think
    Ran through until 1991 with the Crown Vic and Grand Marquis. That same basic car dated back to 1979, so that's really no surprise.