Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Working a bumper jack is kind of like placing a piece of cheese on a rat trap.
  • slorenzenslorenzen Member Posts: 694

Working a bumper jack is kind of like placing a piece of cheese on a rat trap.

Had a couple close calls with those bumper jacks!

A tire block can be your friend!

Remember the Citroen DS series? THAT was a cool way to change a tire(or tyre)...

:D
    Yep, just flip a switch...of course, being French, on the rear tire you had to remove the entire fender first.
  • ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,085
    But it was only held on with one or two bolts!

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,790
    Guys, thank you very much for such a great read after the weekend!

I had a fun time this weekend working (periodically, anyway) on the plow truck in the driveway. It was a few degrees below zero on Saturday, and about -10 yesterday.

The problem seems to be something in the "pumpkin" (aka, differential) on the front axle housing. These Fords have a Dana 44 front axle and a Dana 60 rear. Anyhow, I was trying to get to the point where I could start turning stuff to see where my problem likely lay, and I couldn't help but praise the simplicity of tearing apart the front (disc) brakes. Those calipers are a real snap to remove, and replacing the pads is incredibly easy as well. If that was the job, I'd say maybe thirty minutes for both (including tire removal and install) is about all you'd be in for.

Then, I decide that since I'm working on the truck this extensively, I might as well do a little more to shore up nagging issues. One of those is lack of rear brakes. I haven't had them for years now due to a suspected blown wheel cylinder, but it never bothered me much until the front axle tore itself apart. Without the front wheels being bound to the drivetrain, stopping the truck does not stop the rear wheels from turning. Talk about interesting.....!

So, I figure rear drums... how hard can this be? The answer? Not too hard, save for the fact that they were designed by the spawn of Satan! I had to remove the half-shafts (e.g., axles), followed by the wheel bearings, in order to even remove the drum! I can't imagine who thought this was a great design, but after all that effort to get in there, I not only replaced the wheel cylinders, but also replaced the pads (shoes) at the same time. I don't think any of them were that bad (maybe 50-80% of new), but there's no way I ever want to get in there again. LOL

So, about six hours of work total and I have "new" rear brakes that will, hopefully, work now. I think I'm going to put new shocks on it today since those are God-only-knows how old (I think thirty years is a good guess) and completely worthless, as well as attempting to open up the front differential and drain the syrup (75W-90 diff fluid) in preparation for my next operation....

I sure hope I can get it sorted out before the next big snow! The temps are supposed to get down to below -20F by mid week, so probably no danger of snow in the short-term, anyway. The going is slow at these temperatures, though.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    edited December 2015
    Hahah! Oh, dear. We do get off-topic in this thread, don't we? For some reason, I thought this was the Project Cars topic I had read just before CCBA. Oh, well. The appreciation expressed did apply to this thread! :o
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    That's true...one bolt I think. It was pretty easy to do.
    ab348 said:

But it was only held on with one or two bolts!

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,518
    No way I am ever moving to Alaska. That is for sure.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,518
    Should finish your garage. A heated space would make the work easier!

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

edited December 2015
    I worked there for a year. If you're the outdoorsy type and you can also manage to get out of there for a trip to Hawaii in the dead of winter, you'd probably enjoy the lifestyle. But if you're just up there working 24/7 on some ghastly pipeline or some such, it can be grim. Hopefully you've got the right vehicle, right house, right job, and a girlfriend!
    stickguy said:

Should finish your garage. A heated space would make the work easier!

Very true. I have pretty much given up on ever being able to use that space for anything workshop-related, but I still hope to some day be able to park a car or two in it! We lost a portion of the space to a "bedroom" for our son over the summer. My wife insisted he have his own space, and that was that. The good news is that it is only an 8x8 space we carved out for him, yet it is a pillar of space efficiency and is actually pretty roomy.

Still I briefly regretted selling my Fiesta, as anything longer than that will not fit on that side of the garage any more. Hmm.... that Elise might fit, or maybe I should start looking for a nice motorcycle. :D
    I really like the looks of the Triumph Thruxton. It's not a fast bike at all, but very sexy in a traditional Triumph way (if it's good enough for Brando it's good enough for me) and pretty light in weight. I don't care for bikes you have to pick up with a crane. Ducati just came out with a Scrambler if you want more of the high-tech look/design.
  • ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,085
    xwesx said:

Guys, thank you very much for such a great read after the weekend!

So, I figure rear drums... how hard can this be? The answer? Not too hard, save for the fact that they were designed by the spawn of Satan! I had to remove the half-shafts (e.g., axles), followed by the wheel bearings, in order to even remove the drum! I can't imagine who thought this was a great design, but after all that effort to get in there, I not only replaced the wheel cylinders, but also replaced the pads (shoes) at the same time. I don't think any of them were that bad (maybe 50-80% of new), but there's no way I ever want to get in there again. LOL

Ford engineering is often very odd. My brother told me his Ranger has a "power steering cooler" that is a pipe carrying the fluid around the perimeter of the front subframe or engine compartment? Seems an odd solution.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

Sometimes I think that the reason some of these things are so odd is because they take something they created for an entirely different application, put it on a new application, then add a couple extra bits in order to make it "work." All seems perfectly fine until you have to fix it!
  • MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,042
     OK folks, quiz time. 

I saw a vanity plate the other day while delivering. I am wondering if one of you can figure out what type of car it was on. 

The plate read GOZIRA

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,907
    ab348 said:
    Guys, thank you very much for such a great read after the weekend! So, I figure rear drums... how hard can this be? The answer? Not too hard, save for the fact that they were designed by the spawn of Satan! I had to remove the half-shafts (e.g., axles), followed by the wheel bearings, in order to even remove the drum! I can't imagine who thought this was a great design, but after all that effort to get in there, I not only replaced the wheel cylinders, but also replaced the pads (shoes) at the same time. I don't think any of them were that bad (maybe 50-80% of new), but there's no way I ever want to get in there again. LOL
    Ford engineering is often very odd. My brother told me his Ranger has a "power steering cooler" that is a pipe carrying the fluid around the perimeter of the front subframe or engine compartment? Seems an odd solution.
    They did the same thing back in the 80s on the police cruisers.  The "cooler" was literally a length of tubing bent into a loop that ran in front of the radiator. 

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited December 2015

I worked there for a year.... Hopefully you've got the right vehicle, right house, right job, and a girlfriend!

Just had two different sets of Anchorage houseguests visit this past week. If you want to retire up there, just wait about two years for the bottom to really drop out. With the oil bust the state is pretty much broke but the housing market hasn't quite heard the news yet.

Note that I said retire; either that or bring your own job with you.

If you missed the Road Trip thread (speaking of cars....), I'm in a rental 2014 Prius for ~11 days. So far so good, in spite of only having one USB port and a lack of cupholders.

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,143
    GTR?
    Michaell said:

OK folks, quiz time. 

I saw a vanity plate the other day while delivering. I am wondering if one of you can figure out what type of car it was on. 

The plate read GOZIRA

I have been receiving banner ads for special year end Ducati offers - low to zero rates depending on where you look. I don't know if I would call the Scrambler modern looking - it seems like a retro thing for hipster manchildren for me, but it looks cool for that. No doubt better tech than an underbraked carbureted old thing.

The Hypermotard offers are almost tempting, I like those.

I really like the looks of the Triumph Thruxton. It's not a fast bike at all, but very sexy in a traditional Triumph way (if it's good enough for Brando it's good enough for me) and pretty light in weight. I don't care for bikes you have to pick up with a crane. Ducati just came out with a Scrambler if you want more of the high-tech look/design.

• berriberri Member Posts: 10,165

Nah, probably the cheapest way to solve something B)
    fintail said:

GTR?

Michaell said:

OK folks, quiz time. 

The plate read GOZIRA

Exactly.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,421
    @Michaell - Happy Birthday!

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

nyccarguy said:

Thanks!

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

edited December 2015
    Regarding the F250 plow truck project (for anyone interested), I posted an update over in Project Cars. I thought I would get myself back on track regarding discussion differentiation before I got in too deep!

The summary: Not good. LOL

• tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,604
    xwesx said:

Hmm.... that Elise might fit, or maybe I should start looking for a nice motorcycle. :D

@xwesx and you can fit a few bikes in the same footprint as an Elise and get 2 or 3 punches. Shoot, maybe I need a new bike...

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

• graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    Michaell said:

nyccarguy said:

Thanks!
    Your birthday, Brother? Happy....Happy!
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
    tifighter said:

xwesx said:

Hmm.... that Elise might fit, or maybe I should start looking for a nice motorcycle. :D

@xwesx and you can fit a few bikes in the same footprint as an Elise and get 2 or 3 punches. Shoot, maybe I need a new bike...

Yeah, but it's darn cold and slippery to be riding bikes. Not that I would take an Elise out during the winter, but it sure would be a lot more stimulating to look at it all winter long.... B)
    Thanks!
    Your birthday, Brother? Happy....Happy!
    Yeppers. Comes around once a year, whether I want it to or not. 

Thanks for the well wishes. 

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,349
    xwesx said:

Yeah, but it's darn cold and slippery to be riding bikes. Not that I would take an Elise out during the winter, but it sure would be a lot more stimulating to look at it all winter long.... B)

I actually talked to a couple of guys who drive their Elises year-round and they said that with the proper tires they can get around fine- as long as the snow isn't real deep.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,388
    Happy Birthday, Michaell!
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,604
    xwesx said:

tifighter said:

xwesx said:

Fair point. I got caught in a snow and ice storm once on my old V-Strom and it was not the most fun thing I've ever done. In your neck of the woods, that would be an average Tuesday.

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

Happy Birthday, Michaell!

Thanks!

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• breldbreld Member Posts: 6,710
    Happy (one day belated) birthday Michael!

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

breld said:

Ditto!

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

breld said:

Thanks!

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

breld said:

Ditto!
    Thanks!

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

xwesx said:

I actually talked to a couple of guys who drive their Elises year-round and they said that with the proper tires they can get around fine- as long as the snow isn't real deep.

Tires make or break traction, that's for sure! Still, though, I would NOT take something like an Elise out in the winter time. It's too easy to have winter fun in other cars to risk such a fine automobile.

ti, I have a few coworkers who ride their bicycles to work year-round up here. They're far heartier souls than I (plus their locations relative to work make that a much more practical, and less dangerous, option).
    I wouldn't take one out in the winter weather either- even though the body is fiberglass and the chassis is aluminum...

Don't see the harm if there isn't snow on the ground though. In Calif., it's a car one could drive everyday.
  • nelsonfnelsonf Member Posts: 104
    Michaell said:

OK folks, quiz time. 

The plate read GOZIRA

GTR was my guess too. That's actually pretty clever, slightly offensive, and really funny all at the same time.

I wish I could could come up with something clever like that for an M4...

Currently own: 2017 BMW M4, 2011 Nissan Frontier Pro-4X Used to own: 2008 VW R32, 1998 Jeep Cherokee Sport, 1987 BMW 325IS

• kxc2622kxc2622 Member Posts: 46
    Thinking about picking up a new car, but no room on the driveway!
    Also happy belated birthday Michael!
  • carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497
    A excuse me, but I don't get it....wah??
    edited December 2015
    I am surprised the PC police keeping us safe from injustice let it through. Maybe I need to get "".

M4...hmmm..."1PT5PSI"?

image:)

nelsonf said:

Michaell said:

OK folks, quiz time. 

The plate read GOZIRA

GTR was my guess too. That's actually pretty clever, slightly offensive, and really funny all at the same time.

I wish I could could come up with something clever like that for an M4...
  • corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,262
    carnaught said:

A excuse me, but I don't get it....wah??

I don't get it either.
  • 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,388
    I was thinking of a vanity plate for the GTI.  Some ideas:

NOT TDI
    NOTATDI
    NOCHEAT
    TSTPASS
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited December 2015
    I sort of get the Zilla connection but Fin's variation was a bit much for here I think. Even though most would have had to Google it.
  • corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,262
    I'm shopping my insurance, feel free to post experiences and recommendations here:
    http://forums.edmunds.com/discussion/comment/5159198/#Comment_5159198

One of the things that stinks about auto insurance is that, with home insurance, if you have a claim, you end up with a house that is worth more than before and possibly more energy efficient (new roof, new siding, new windows, new deck). If you have an auto claim, you end up with a car that is worth far less, often has poor paint quality or panel gaps, and may be less safe in a subsequent crash.
    edited December 2015
    Ah there's a PC warden protecting us ;)

Some have given the GTR the "Godzilla" nickname, as it is hugely capable. A beast.

It can also refer to its size:

kxc2622 said:
    Also happy belated birthday Michael!
    Thanks!

I too was surprised the GTR vanity plate was allowed by the motor vehicle department here. 

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    Except that the slang term for Godzilla is Gojira. So that's why I dont get it.
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere