Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Behind the Scenes at the Body Shop - 2015 Jeep Renegade Trailhawk Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited December 2015 in Jeep

imageBehind the Scenes at the Body Shop - 2015 Jeep Renegade Trailhawk Long-Term Road Test

This is what it looked like behind the scenes at the body shop, where our 2015 Jeep Renegade spent some time after getting pranged at a stoplight.

Read the full story here

Comments

• daryleasondaryleason Member Posts: 501
    Other than the small dents in the muffler, it doesn't look compromised or any worse than what you'd get from a rock ding. If it were me, and depending on what shoebox of a rental car I was stuck in, there's a good possibility I'd have told the body shop to just give me the value of the muffler replacement and installation, leave the existing one in place, and get everything wrapped up.
  • desmoliciousdesmolicious Member Posts: 671
    Was the alignment corrected? I think Dan mentioned it was not out of whack before the whack back out.
  • longtimelurkerlongtimelurker Member Posts: 455

Other than the small dents in the muffler, it doesn't look compromised or any worse than what you'd get from a rock ding. If it were me, and depending on what shoebox of a rental car I was stuck in, there's a good possibility I'd have told the body shop to just give me the value of the muffler replacement and installation, leave the existing one in place, and get everything wrapped up.

I wouldn't go around in a new car with body damage on it any more than I'd go around with no pants on. It's damaged. Get it fixed.
  • bankerdannybankerdanny Member Posts: 1,021
    He was talking about the invisible unless looking close up on a lift damage to the muffler, not body.

I agree, I would take the cash, particularly since by the time the muffler actually needs replacement the cost is likely to be much lower.

It isn't visible cosmetic damage, it doesn't impact safety, comfort, or performance, I wouldn't have had it fixed.
  • daryleasondaryleason Member Posts: 501
    No, I'm all for having your vehicle in as good of a condition as possible. But to me, there's some things that just aren't a big deal. And there's some times, where going with something other than stock makes sense. So to the muffler, it it damaged the baffles, caused a leak, increased the restriction of flow, or damaged the mounts, then absolutely, I would wait for it to be fixed. If I was driving around in a better vehicle as a rental than what I owned, provided I wasn't paying for it, I'd be fine with them keeping it for as long as they wanted.

But I will give an example of how some insurance and car manufacturers don't make a lot of sense. I recently had to send my 2013 F-150 in to the shop after a deer committed suicide. To make it worse, the deer didn't have insurance. I checked. No insurance. The deer didn't even have any ID on it. So I had to file it on my insurance (the jerk). The inspector gave me the report, and I noticed that the price of the factory XLT Plus Package Grill was almost $1,100.00. I couldn't believe it. It was a horrible style. So instead of getting a Ford Replacement Grill, I purchased an extremely nice Billet Grill (Something I'd been wanting), and ended up making about $600.00 in the process.
  • actualsizeactualsize Member Posts: 451
    The alignment was fine. No problems there. And it makes sense: looking at the utter lack of damage to the structure behind the bumper, there's no reason to suspect that the wheels would have been knocked out of alignment.

Twitter: @Edmunds_Test

• schen72schen72 Member Posts: 433
    edited December 2015
    These type of minor accidents can be very beneficial to you, the victim. I was rear-ended in my Acura RDX some years ago, and being obviously the other guy's fault, their insurance took full responsibility. Immediately, I got a check for $250 for the toddler seat, which I didn't actually replace because I know it's fine -- it was a <5 MPH impact. Just because the other guy was an [non-permissible content removed] about taking responsibility, I took my daughter to a doctor for a checkup, all on his insurance's dime. A previous scratch on the rear bumper got fixed since they had to repaint the entire bumper cover. The entire job took about a week, and I had use of a BMW 328i loaner the entire time. So I had no problem. I pay $28/year for the extra rental car coverage, which guarantees me a rental car of at least $50/day. So I made sure the rental car office had a good car waiting for me.