Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Taurus/Sable Maintenance & Repair

Comments

• mtc6222mtc6222 Member Posts: 2
    I bought a used 99 taurus with 3.0 duratec a while back...have put many trouble free miles on it...but lately when taking off from a stop or while moving slow in traffic, once I give it some gas...the trans slips. This only happens at low speeds...a friend tells me this could be a shift modulator...ford dealers computer can't find or reproduce the problem...any one know what this problem could be?? Should I continue to take it back to the dealer and make them find the problem??
  • snowmansnowman Member Posts: 540
    If you make your email visible, I'll send you a link. I can't post it here.
  • mtc6222mtc6222 Member Posts: 2
    mtc6222@aol.com is my e-mail address....
  • cvcbirdcvcbird Member Posts: 2
    We have a previous 1 owner 96 Ford Taurus,we purchased in March 2003 for our son. Was kept in very good condition. It has 101k miles. So far, we replaced brakes & transmission. Now we have the entire steering assembly to replace for $800 The only thing left is the engine, which is the 3.0. The Mechanic thinks the engine's in good shape & thinks it might be worth it. What do you think the chances are that as soon as we sink the $800, the engine goes? I know, goes w/ the territory in buying a high mileage car. Anyone had specific info w/ this engine at high mileage?
    Thanks-Robin
  • danielj6danielj6 Member Posts: 285
    What is wrong with the steering assembly that needs to be replaced?
  • av10sguyav10sguy Member Posts: 5
    Does any taurus owners notice a change in gas millage, i cant belive it but i am averagin not even 17 MPG! I have a 2000 Ford taurus, my first car, my dads company car with 64K miles and i have had no problem at all with the car, not one solitary one, robably due to the fact that i got free maintence on it, but the MPG is horrible, and i am not punching it at all! Its like having a SUV millage but driving a car...any one know what might be wrong, i am selling it soon bc i can smell some future problems with her, i notice that the engine sounds bad when i start it and when i was on the freeway the other day i lost all elecrtical power to my radio,seats,lights, ect, but the car was still on, maybe a bad fuse, i dunno but it came back 3 min later
  • cvcbirdcvcbird Member Posts: 2
    The power steering fluid was leaking. Took it in and the mechanic said it completely fell apart & I need a new rack & pinion system. He's a friend, so I don't doubt him.
    av10sguy: My gas mileage is horrendous. I'm getting a dismal 16 mpg up to my latest fill up which was yesterday. I suppose that it is cold weather related. Starting an engine in the morning with sub zero temps and having the heat on are probably the culprits. However, this drop in gas mileage never happened to me before during my 3+ years I've had my 2000 Sable.

cvcbird: I was asking because I'll soon have to replace the power steering pump in my S.W. You may have seen my ranting and raving about it either here or in the other thread. Don't want to spend a dime on this car, though.
    Do you guys aware that Taurus has different climate control mechanism. If you turn the knob to righ AC compressor will kick in automatically. The air conditioning compressor will operate in all modes except(Panel)
    and (Floor). However, the air conditioning will only function if the outside temperature is about
    10°C (50°F) or higher. I am not sure where you guys are located but your gas milage might be related to that. If not, then get your O2 sensors checked.
    But recently, my milage dropped too. I was having 21.4 in city. I filled up my tank last night and only drove 30 miles and today realized, it was in the middle of first quarter tank.
  • tmatteotmatteo Member Posts: 2
    On Dec 30th 2003, I dropped my 1997 Taurus off at the Ford service dept. for a regular maintenance. They recommended a "power flush" of the trans. and power steering (transmissions problems are looming over the horizon it seems.)
    I said ok and picked it up the next day, The "check engine soon" light was on after I made a stop some miles away, so I returned it to the dealer.
    Next day they called and said it needed some sort of "sensor" and they happened to have one on hand (about 450 bucks!) I said OK.
    Next day I picked up the car and before I drove it out of the lot the "check engine soon" light came on and the car stalled.
    Needless to say I was rather disturbed at this point so I complained to high heaven in the dealership about how service had been good in recent years but has suddenly taken a dramatic down turn. (I said a lot more than this but its something I cannot repeat in this forum.)
    In short, I now have a "free" loaner Sable while they are trying to locate the problem. It will be two weeks soon and all they can tell me is they cannot get the information from the computer because the "incident" does not last long enough to download!
    Could they have damaged something with this initial Power Flush or sensor replacement that they will not live up too? Should I believe them when they say its a coincidence?
    Do you know what sensor they replaced?
  • tmatteotmatteo Member Posts: 2
    They replaced the camsensor and synchronizer assembly.
    I own a taurus 2000 and it currently has 63k miles on it. My gas millage is horrible averaging 16 MPG. Also i notice that when i turn my steering wheel to the right it kinda seems like it sticks almost and makes a funny air sound, i dont know its kinda hard to explain, but i do not want to run into future problems with this auto although i have had none yet, (knock on wood) i am debating whether or not to get a newer car. Maybe a Acura or honda something practical for my city driving needs, however i need some advice on whether to sell my car or buy a newer one. what do you think.......??
    That sticking feel is not a actual sticking. Steering is losing power assist for a moment.
    Have you ever get your power stering system flushed? May be you don't know but that system needs to be flushed as regular maintenance. I think you need to get your pump replaced.

I am curious, what type of maintenance you have performed on the car so far? If you haven't done anything like brake system flush, radiator flush, transmission flush, decarbonization, filters (gas + air + trany) you might want to sell your car. It will create a problem for you. Taurus is a car that needs more attention than other makes. But if you have done everything according to book, then there is no need to worry, it will serve you.
    As a former Honda customer, If I needed to decide to select either one, I would pick Taurus again. For the money you pay and the options you get along with ride and built quality (you have to have better than OEM tires), I think Taurus is better. Of course, people have different taste and expectations.
    Well i acquired the car at 61K miles, it was my dads company car..He got free maintence on the car and has always has tune ups and oil changes, i replaced the air filters, new tires this year, regular oil changes. The car has never had any flushes, or any new pumps in the car. Do you know about how much a new pump and the flushes will cost me? I spent 5K on the car, got a killer deal on it from his company, but as i said, i have never had any flushes or ne thing replaced in the car except the air filter, tires, stero system... I was actually looking at the acura rsx just due to the fact that it gets great gas millage and its practical for my needs of city driving...but again thats another 13k that i do not have, but the bank will! snowman what do you sugguest that i do? Any one else have any imput, Sorry to plob this post in repain and maincence!! Thanks~
    You are over due, get your trany flushed ~$120 and filter changed as well, this should be asap. Brake system flush ~$50-$60, PWsteering flush ~$90. I am not sure how much is a pump. But once you get [non-permissible content removed] replaced it includes new pw steering oil too so you don't need a flush. Cooling system flush ~$70. These are dealer prices.

You can change spark plugs yourself if it is Vulcan, if it duratec then it's kind of pain.

But, just get the flushes and drive.

For your car selection, it is up to you but I feel that you are after an image rather than gas milage. If this is the case I go with Acura but it's not then drive your Taurus. My opinion, don't waste your money, car is a car, drive your Taurus, if it is broken get it fixed.
  • gheimurgheimur Member Posts: 88
    I am the original owner of this car. Besides the oil changes every 4k before 100k and every 5k after, regular maint and tranny flush every 30k, the rack and pinion($760) also had to be replaced 2 years ago at around 112k, Since than my daughtershave used it through college/H.S. and the car is now in Washington DC making regular trips to NJ every couple of weeks. The Plugs were changed at 101k and the engine runs fine. Should keep going until.......... Also the Oil pan gasket($425) was replaced at 117k as it was pushing out. Cost for repairs not including maint, for 2001/$122 and $50 ded for a turn signal level repl, 2002/$960 2003/$575
  • kizer4kizer4 Member Posts: 12
    I'm having 2 problems with my car.
    1) for the past 2 weeks when the weather has gotten really cold (western NY) the only way to start the car is the put the gas pedal to the floor.

2)about a week ago, I put gas line antifreeze before filling up my gas tank. From there on I have heard a loud sound (almost sounds like 2 discs rubbing together) whenever I give the car gas, either in park or drive. I cannot hear the sound when I open the hood, only when I am inside the car.

I read through the other posts and some seemed related. However I am not very proficient when it comes to cars so I would appreciate the help. The car had a tune up about 5,000 miles ago. Any suggestions before I have to take it to a Ford mechanic?

Thanks
  • elemintelemint Member Posts: 79
    I consider myself lucky. My 92 taurass has 135k on it. I dont fix anything that goes wrong if it still runs because i know it will be never ending. A/c went at 60k about the same time the front end VIBRATION started. THe vibration has never really stopped. Now i know most of you know what i am talking about, but take the taurass to a deal and tell them and they will say, "we never heard of that problem"... and they can never fix it!!! THEY MUST KNOW!!!! THEY HAVE COMPUTERS to look up TSB etc!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Rear windows dont work, break lights go out sometimes. radio dead. HERE IS A GOOD ONE! My front wheel fell off after i got off the expressway! All the lug bolts broke off!!!! I guess that vibration finally weakend them. I am lucky to be alive. I wonder how many have not had my "luck"....
  • badgerfanbadgerfan Member Posts: 1,565
    Now wasn't that the most informative post I have ever read.
    Ignore him. He is just bsing our clean civil forum. He doesn't even have a Taurus. He can't even spell Taurus...
    Well i dont consider it civil when my life is almost taken! Yeah i just go around posting about cars a dont have. Sheesh...
  • alcanalcan Member Posts: 2,550
    "I dont fix anything that goes wrong if it still runs because i know it will be never ending."

You reap what you sow. Did you consider that if you had done preventive maintenance and repairs as required, it's probable that the wheel wouldn't have fallen off? Please don't target any specific vehicle for repairs caused by your lack of upkeep.
  • dako_tiandako_tian Member Posts: 298
    then it was "venting" and not to be taken as a logical nor chronological description of what happened.

elemint: If you are finished venting, then it would be more helpful to catalog, in a more reasoned and organized manner, just exactly what happened. For now, I give you a qualified reasonable doubt. Ok, then....?
    Did you consider that if you had done preventive maintenance?... Yes, always do maintenance. 5k oil changes, new tires and rotate every 15k, new plugs every 30k even though ford says 100k. THe things i dont fix are things that do not effect the driving, like windows and radio etc. Why people here are so defensive is odd. Tell me you have never heard of tauras vibrations and bad transmissions??? It is a fact that the the tauras was a lemen up until at least late 90's.
    OK, so you got a lemon from the pre-late-90s? So, you want to tell people that? Personally, I am looking at a 2001 or newer, so I would appreciate the distinction. Interestingly, the quality of some of the imports has suffered a bit of late, but they can ride on their reputations for awhile. I suppose that Taurus "sinks" on its reputation. That's actually OK by me as it makes a used one more affordable for me! ;-)
  • ohio7ohio7 Member Posts: 67
    I'm just now catching up on all of the posts since I was off for almost 4 weeks for the holidays - don't have a home computer.

I have a 2000 Taurus SEL with 21,000+ miles and I have periodically smelt the oil smell only after I have parked it in my garage and walked around the front to go into the house. I never asked the dealer about it but kept checking the dipstick between changes. There was no loss of oil from what I could determine. I crawled under it once when it was outside to see if oil was dripping anywhere and still could find nothing. I'm hoping for the best on this car. I only buy cars every 16 years (My only other cars were Mustangs - that's no error all you foreign car lovers!) so I'm "bookmarking" a lot of posts in both discussions and then copying them to put into my car file.

Was wondering - spark plugs are SUPPOSED to last for 100,000 miles but have any of you changed them on your 2000+ Tauruses or Sables before then? I'm following the maintenance guide to a T for this car because I don't want any premature repair bills. I got the message loud and clear about having the transmission fluid/filter changed at 30,000 miles even though in the past I only had it changed in my two other Mustangs about every 60,000 miles. Fluid is cheaper then a repair/replacement!

Thanks for any input.
    With platinum plugs I truly believe they will go 100k without changing. On my old 90 Taurus which had platinums, I changed the plugs at about 45K because I was skeptical as you may be. But after looking at the old plugs, I really wouldn't have needed to change them as the old ones were still clean, the gaps were OK and so I think I wasted my time. I changed them myself so all it cost me was the price of the plugs.

I am now at 35K on my 2000 Taurus and plan on leaving them in there till 100k, assuming I do not have any performance or mileage issues.

We also have a 96 Caravan with platinum plugs and it is now at 75K miles with the original plugs. It is still starting fine and running well and I plan on not changing them until 100K if we keep the van that long.

It is also getting to be quite a pain to change the rear bank of plugs what with the ever steeper sloped windshields hanging over the engine bay and all the hardware in the way, so I think my do it myself plug changing days have come to an end.
  • fdthirdfdthird Member Posts: 352
    My mechanic Mike says that yes, the plugs will last 100,000 but he thinks the real problem is getting them out at that point. He's dealt with several customers who have not changed plugs till the 100,000 mile mark and who then go through hell to get them out!

Makes you wonder if the guys who said "go 100,000 miles" are the same folks who decided that to change the tail lights on my wife's 2001 SEL you have to take half the trunk apart and remove the entire tail light housing (same thing on my 2000 Mustang)and that to change the license plate lights on my son's 2001 Focus you need to take the lining of the trunk lid off and then remove the entire license light assembly?

I'd love to see the designers and engineers at the factory try and really work on these cars!

Oh and elemint, if that front end vibration you are talking about is the out of round rotor condition that causes the front wheels to shimmy under hard braking...if you had that problem and did not get new rotors then I don't think you have much concern for your life! A very well known Ford (and other domestic) problem with many alleged causes.
    Yes I have heard that statement about leaving plugs in for 100K. If I leave it up to the mechanics to do it, it might not be my problem, however! With the inaccessibility issue to the rear plugs, I don't think I want to tackle them myself anyways.

Access to bulb replacement is an issue, but I don't know that any manufacturer has thought a lot about designing for serviceability.

On the other hand, we have yet to have any bulb go out on our 1996 Caravan, and on my 1990 Taurus, the only bulbs I ever had to replace were two headlights, this in ten years. Current Taurus hasn't lost any bulbs either at 3.5 years and counting.

Somewhat off topic, I seem to notice that most prevalent of all the vehicles of recent model years I see with a burned out headlight seem to be VW's. Anyone else notice this?
    changing the plugs are very easy. It took me 30 minutes @ 40K miles. They were clean, but I put colder copper plugs instead of platinum due to high combustion heat which is causing pinging summer time if I use 87 octane. I am thinking running 180 degree t-stat from spring to autumn and changing back to 195 degree for winter. Apparently, it is very easy to change it.
    Quick tip on any model. If a bulb which requires a lot of disassembly to replace burns out, replace them all while you're in there. They're all the same age and bulbs are cheap.
  • sorpasorpa Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 SE with 165,000 Miles (264,000 KM). It has been a fantastic car from the day I drove it off the dealer lot. Only three parts have needed replacement aside from regular maintenance items and light bulbs: 1. Brake rotors warped- replaced two times 2. Front sway bar link clicking - replaced 2 times (aftermarket links lasted only 20,000 miles). 3. Windshield washer hose cracked. The maintenance schedule has been followed throughout the car's life. Everything else is working perfectly. No repairs have been needed except for those mentioned above.

I would like to continue using this vehicle, but have been advised that it would be risky, considering the mileage.

Have there been any common catastrophic failures at this mileage that have left people stranded-fuel pump, engine, transmission etc. What major parts commonly fail at or above 100,000 mi? Top 5 or 10?
    The transaxle is probably number one, and it could end up with a repair bill in the $2,000.00 range. Aside from that, expect the typical expenses for any higher mileage car; starter, alternator, battery, hoses, belts, brakes, CV joints, exhaust system, etc. These are all pretty much consumable items which will eventually have to be replaced.
  • lelandllelandl Member Posts: 11
    Hello, all:

My 97 protege was totaled from an accident several days ago. The other (probably drunk) driver ran away from the site. Fortunately I was not injured, well, now I am in the market for a used Taurus.

I will need you guys' opinion on this buy:
    99 Taurus SE
    100K miles
    cruise, ABS, alloy wheels
    power window, power door lock, power sear ,power mirrors
    Radio cassette
    It's a company car driven by an employee, started driving in May 1999
    when the mileage hit 55K
    the company sold this car to that employee in Oct 2001
    then he has been driven this car as his private car till now
    One of the backseat power window doesn't work
    some blet squeeze noise which is normal for taurus/sable according to a
    mechanic,
    One BIG problem is the transmission got rebuilt at mileage 52K
    as a whole, this car has been maintained well
    all records kepts for oil change every 3K-5K miles
    tranny flush and coolant flush done in 2003 at 80K miles
    SELLER asked for $4000
    I had thought maybe I could knock it down to $3000
    now he is firm at $3500
    what is your guys opinion? Does it worth that price?
    Is 100K miles TOO high for a taurus?
    Does the transmission rebuilt matter much?
    (The rebuilt was done at FORD dealer, FORD dealer changed the non-working
    parts in the transmission which costed labor+part around $2000)

really need your guys' opinion here on buying this Taurus
    bow :-)
    I would stay away from Gen-3 Taurus. You can find Gen-4 (2000 and above) within that range, milage wise. If I were you, I would spend little more and get Gen-4.
    Transmission and other built quality related materials are greatly improved by 2000 and above.
    It's difficult to give advice not knowing how much you are able to spend at this time after your car was totaled.

I'd however stay away from a car that has 100K miles, any car. If I was looking for a second car for short trips then I'd consider it. Try to find a newer Taurus/Sable with fewer miles on the odometer. Watch out for odometer scams.
  • ohio7ohio7 Member Posts: 67
    Thanks for spark plug comments (and all others, too). Do we have the platinum plugs as originals or did you replace yours early on?
    Both my 1990 Taurus Vulcan and 2000 Taurus Duratech have had platinum plugs as original equipment. With current stringent emissions requirements, I doubt if many if any new cars these days have conventional plugs, but I could be wrong.
    Soon the conventional plug lobby will be up in arms! I can see quotas and anti-discrimination lawsuits coming already. "Down with elitist platinum plugs!" ;-)
  • wafordwaford Member Posts: 1
    I just recently bought a certified 2002 Ford Taurus SES for $9200 at my local Ford dealership. They threw in aftermarket leather (made the sale of the car dependant on it..) and free oil changes until I am out of the original manufacturer's warranty (23K miles on it when I gotit). I have been very pleased with the vehicle overall, but colleagues and friends think it was too much money for a Taurus! I was unable to produce a similarily equipped, full-size sedan that fit me (6'7", 300lbs) as well as the Taurus did - physically as well as budget-wise. What do you guys think? Did I overpay on it, or did I get a smoking-hot deal? :-) Thanks for any insights you folks may have...
    As I have been shopping for a similar deal to purchase when my tax refund relieves the budget a bit, it looks like a pretty reasonable deal to me.
    Tell your friends it was your money not thiers...in the future stay away from Monday morning quarterbacks!

A number of years ago we bought a house for what a lot of people thought was way too much. They hadn't been shopping and didn't know the market at all. 5 years later we sold the house for $100,000 more than we paid.

Since then, I listen to no one but my own inner voice and once I make a deal walk away mentally. Suggest you do the same as you have already purchased the vehicle and really can do nothing about the price.
    It sounds like those that told you you paid too much money for a Taurus were either putting you down or the car.

I believe you made a very good deal. Enjoy the car and best of luck!
  • hansiennahansienna Member Posts: 2,312
    Did you get an extended warranty on the automatic transmission?
        Taurus/Sable are the only vehicles with more dismal automatic transmission reliability than Dodge/Chrysler minivans.
    Old news....not applicable anymore
  • riswamiriswami Member Posts: 192
    I think it is too early to say if Ford has solved transmission problems in the last generation Taurus. I have a 97 and just had mine rebuilt at 103k. The car had been throwing codes since 71k.I did fluid changes at 30, 60 and 90 thou. So mine was maintained properly.

Overall I've enjoyed the car. But until the last generation start racking up a lot of miles you won't know if this problem has been fixed.These are not the only cars on the road with tranny problems. But it is definately a weakness.
    I am very reluctant to follow up Ford's 30K tranmission service interval. I am sticking with 20K interval. Ford transmissions run hotter compare to other makes and models. Many people installs aux. coolers. I think visually inspecting the oil (color and smell) is the way to go. If it smells like gasoline (contaminated) or looks burnt, it is time to change.
  • riswamiriswami Member Posts: 192
    Good points snowman. Everytime I checked my fluid it was fine.Nice and red, no burnt smell. Plus I did total exchanges at 30 and 60 thousand. I don't think fluid changes at 20k intervals would have saved it. I just think they are not a durable transmision.
  • imjcleckeyimjcleckey Member Posts: 7
    I have a 2000 Sable with the basic engine - Vulcan I think - 71000 miles. There is a clunk in the passenger front which has resisted efforts to fix. Struts, strut mounts, sway bars, inner tie rod, ball joint, and wheel bearing have not fixed the clunk (it's a long story). Now I hear that it may be control arm bushings. Does anyone else have experience with this? The clunk happens mostly over small bumps - washboard brings it out the best. Doesn't matter if you are turning or going straight, accelerating, etc.

Also, the car gets poor mileage - around 22 for mostly highway, occasionally as high as 25. The motor also seems to like to rev up. When starting up cold, it revs up to ~2200 rpm. It takes a couple minutes to get to normal idle - 800 rpms. As an experiment, I have tried shifting the car into neutral while going down the highway at normal speed - the motor revs up to about 2500 rpm. Is this normal? Does it need a tuneup? New plugs? Thanks