Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

The display says my trunk is open, but it's not.

carnival1carnival1 Member Posts: 3
edited December 2015 in Lexus
The display on my Lexus indicates that my trunk is open, but it's not. It's draining my battery. What could this be? How to resolve

Comments

• thecardoc3thecardoc3 Member Posts: 5,747
    edited December 2015
    That suggests you have a problem with the trunk ajar switch or its circuit. That switch also controls the cargo lamp in the trunk.
  • carnival1carnival1 Member Posts: 3
    thanks. what's involved in repairing it?
  • thecardoc3thecardoc3 Member Posts: 5,747
    It doesn't work that way, one can't just automatically say how to fix something from the symptom alone. Diagnosing and repairing any vehicle fault essentially follows a fundamental routine. Confirm the issue, gather service information, including wiring diagrams and component locations. This also includes the use of a scan tool that accesses the system with the fault when required. Then perform the steps to prove what is wrong this time. It doesn't matter whether it is a switch failure, or some other type of a circuit or even a mechanical issue, with the right approach it can be proven the first time. You are going to have to test and prove what is wrong with your car, or have someone do that for you.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited December 2015
    Looks like there's a wiring harness back there you could disconnect and reconnect. Sometimes connections get flaky - judging by the pics at clublexus.com, it should be easy enough to play with and rule out.

If your ES 350 was subject to but never had the trunk release recall done, maybe doing that would help, even though the recall is for the emergency release handle.
  • carnival1carnival1 Member Posts: 3
    Thank you for your responses. I appreciate your time.