Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2016 Honda Civic Arrives at Dealerships This Fall, Targeting Audi A3, VW Golf | Edmunds.com

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2015 in Honda
image2016 Honda Civic Arrives at Dealerships This Fall, Targeting Audi A3, VW Golf | Edmunds.com

The redesigned 2016 Honda Civic sedan will arrive at Honda dealerships this fall with an ambitious lineup that takes aim at the Audi A3 and Volkswagen Golf.

Read the full story here

Comments

• sdiegosdiego Member Posts: 19
    At a quick glance, looks like an Acura
  • schen72schen72 Member Posts: 433
    I love how all cars are slowly getting all the fancy and expensive options previously available only on "luxury" models. I think this new Civic looks great.
  • darthbimmerdarthbimmer Member Posts: 606
    After seeing so many Japanese automaker redesigns that seem to involve hitting their car repeatedly with the ugly stick, THIS is a good one! Broad, chiseled looks in the front. Flowing curves and creases on the side. The only part I feel is a little weak is the way the fastback rear flows into the trunk, giving the car a "fat butt" appearance.
  • hondafaaanatichondafaaanatic Member Posts: 19
    I really dislike the current Civic (no offense to anyone who likes it), but this 2016 redesign really cranks my motor, if you get my drift.

I had been thinking of splurging on an Accord Sport as my midlife crisis fun car, but this Civic looks like it'll do just fine. But let's wait to see what the pricing is like....
  • DebunkerDebunker Member Posts: 49
    Whatever the merits of the new Civic, it takes a giant leap of imagination to argue that the prospective Audi A3 buyer is considering this as an alternative. More likely the Golf, but I doubt even that.
  • cdlp1962cdlp1962 Member Posts: 1
    HATCHBACK pics please!
  • henry4hirehenry4hire Member Posts: 106
    @ Darthbimmer - I like big butts! No but really...it kinda looks like an Accord Crosstour in the back a bit.
  • schen72schen72 Member Posts: 433
    Debunker said:

Whatever the merits of the new Civic, it takes a giant leap of imagination to argue that the prospective Audi A3 buyer is considering this as an alternative. More likely the Golf, but I doubt even that.

If you remove brand status from the equation, I think a top trim Civic competes decently with an A3. It'll certainly be much cheaper.
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    schen72 said:

Debunker said:

If you remove brand status from the equation, I think a top trim Civic competes decently with an A3. It'll certainly be much cheaper.
    I totally agree!

WOW is all I can say! Almost enough for me to come out of retirement......almost.

• any1thereany1there Member Posts: 21
    edited September 2015
    I'd say it's a bit of a stretch too think that this over-styled Civic, with the abundant creases, heavy-handed grill and over-sized tail lights is competing with the tastefully-restrained A3 or Golf. It looks to me more like this is Honda's overdue response to the current Mazda 3 (while a new 3 arrives for 2017).
    But it won't be troublesome like Audis and VW's can be.

Civics have sure come a long way from when I first sold them and the prices reflect this too!
  • hondaretailerhondaretailer Member Posts: 33
    IMHO, I think Honda is overkilling with all the trim levels and motor selection. Although, we've been craving a turbo for some time.
  • zigster38zigster38 Member Posts: 117
    The new civic will be bigger than the last generation 3 series - may cut into accord sales. Might trade mine in for the 1.5 ex-t or ex-l. Hard not to like 173 hp in a lighter car and 40mpg on the freeway.

IMHO, I think Honda is overkilling with all the trim levels and motor selection. Although, we've been craving a turbo for some time.

I can't imagine doing a delivery with all of the things to explain. It would take two hours!

We had an old timer in our store that would hand them the keys and the Owner's Manual and say " If you have any questions, read the Owner's Manual"
  • hondafaaanatichondafaaanatic Member Posts: 19
    Anyone know when these will start showing up at dealers?
  • andre1969andre1969 Member Posts: 25,655
    I kind of like it. The front-end makes me think of the 2010 refresh that was done to the Ford Fusion, and I mean that as a compliment. With the increase in size though, I wonder if it's going to start competing too much with the Accord? The Accord pretty much got about as big as it was going to get in 2003, when it finally felt like a midsized car to me. True, the '08-12 style was actually bigger, but to me it felt more like the car bloated up, mid-70's style, without offering any real increase in interior room. And then, for '13 the Accord shrunk a bit.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    If you are a parent of young children (at least one under 12 years old) who owns a 2016 Honda Civic, a reporter would like for you to fill out a survey, due by December 22, 2015, for use in a print publication. Click here for the survey http://bit.ly/1M6rOvA
  • JSkylineJSkyline Member Posts: 2
    This 16' civic coupe could have been a great looking car with athletic dimensions and a luxurious front end...EXCEPT that THE BACK looks so hideously mismatched that I dread to see any new civic driving in front of me. I can even deal with the rear-side view which hints at what atrocity awaits in the rear. Honda, please fix only the back and the rest of this car will look exceptional.
    Looks are so subjective that I doubt if many people will feel as you do.

I saw my first 2016 Civic EX last week and I thought it was a new Accord. I thought that Honda has REALLY knocked the vall out of the park!
  • rlinwcrlinwc Member Posts: 3

I can't imagine doing a delivery with all of the things to explain. It would take two hours!

We had an old timer in our store that would hand them the keys and the Owner's Manual and say " If you have any questions, read the Owner's Manual"
    There is no owners manual. It's an owners DVD. I'm serious.
  • anythngbutgmanythngbutgm Member Posts: 4,277
    Honda did a great job on the new Civic, it really looks more expensive than the previous model IMO. I've been seeing a ton of them in the N.E. and the styling is distinctive, really looking forward to the Coupe
  • MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,121

Honda did a great job on the new Civic, it really looks more expensive than the previous model IMO. I've been seeing a ton of them in the N.E. and the styling is distinctive, really looking forward to the Coupe

And I'm looking forward to the 5-door hatch.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• slorenzenslorenzen Member Posts: 694
    Guy I know just bought the 2016 Civic EX with turbo motor.

It's a well designed and put together car in my opinion. They've gotten bigger too. Looks like accord-sized now.

Not sure if it's up to Audi comparo on the interior, but it's much nicer than the previous version.