Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Might be Too Nice - 2016 Honda Pilot Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited December 2015 in Honda
imageMight be Too Nice - 2016 Honda Pilot Long-Term Road Test

Going with the Elite trim of the 2016 Honda Pilot gets you numerous features, but it also might make the Pilot too nice.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    daryleasondaryleason Member Posts: 501
    You've actually hit a point that I agree with. When friends and I discuss vehicles, particularly four wheel drives, I've always made the comment that while I'd like to buy a new 4x4, I'll never do it. Here's why. Especially with today's new car prices, I would never drop that much coin on a vehicle and then take it off road. It's even worse if you're still paying for it. Every time you drag it through brush, you'll be thinking of the loss in value due to the scratches in the paint. The redeeming part of a new 4x4 is the factory warranty, but if they decide that it broke because you "exceeded its design capability" then the warranty is null & void. I have a 1989 Chevy Suburban V1500. I bought it used back in 2008/2009. I LOVE that truck. It's my favorite vehicle. It's got dents, surface rust, peeling paint. The AC doesn't work. Everything rattles. I've done everything from the careful "crawl" off-roading to the "Oh My God, Baja here I come" off-road runs and jumps. The truck takes punishment, shakes off the mud, laughs at the "Cute-Utility-Vehicle" guys stuck in the mud, and continues its run. My wife and son know they can hop in the truck and if the 44 oz Coke from the gas station spills in the floorboard, it's okay, because I can open the doors and blast the interior (all vinyl) with the high pressure washer and everything is clean again in 30 minutes. There's nothing in that truck that isn't for function. It's not dressed up to go to the Opera. It's suited up to go brawling.

Vehicles have gotten over-complicated with features, style, etc. It's part of why the base price of vehicles has climbed so high. What used t be a "top of the line" vehicle 20 years ago wouldn't even match the base-line car nowadays. This is both a good thing and a bad thing.
  • Options
    longtimelurkerlongtimelurker Member Posts: 455
    "...Looking like a luxury car is rarely a bad thing, but in this car I would rather just live with the lack of wood and not feel bad about spilling some coffee now and again."

You're not going to spend $45k instead of $50k on a vehicle and all of a sudden it's OK to spill coffee in it. Doesn't work that way.

Get a spill-proof mug and save your eating for restaurants and your home.
  • Options
    nagantnagant Member Posts: 176
    Gee and you guys wonder why some of us would like you to LT test the model of car or truck that a majority of people actually buy? Why do you only test vehicles equipped like few buy? I have heard the answer before and it is still silly.
  • Options
    schen72schen72 Member Posts: 433
    The fact that this car is a 4x4 is irrelevant. It's a near luxury car that just happens to in a tall wagon format and has all wheel drive. The percentage of people who actually go true off-roading is miniscule and they will buy someone more purpose built, such as a Wrangler or 4Runner, probably an older model that has already plateaued in depreciation. People who buy these top trim Pilots are cross shopping with actual luxury brands and probably just decided to save some coin and get the non-luxury brand but they want all the niceness and goodies.
  • Options
    thepuffthepuff Member Posts: 87
    Agree with everyone...though it's nice to have a few comfort items (heated steering wheel and seats, etc) in my 4x4 living in the Rockies I always question the sanity of people buying Mercedes, SRT Jeeps, and Land Rovers to go "off road". Don't get me started on Bentley's new SUV. I was behind a brand new MB G65 AMG (about $200k) yesterday and it was the slowest driving vehicle due to a little brushing of snow...the lady inside looked scared to death..oh, and she was putting on mascara while driving (always love that).
  • Options
    farvyfarvy Member Posts: 34
    Edmunds did not buy this truck off a lot. Honda loaned it to them. Not sure if Edmunds had a choice in what they got.
  • Options
    kirkhilles1kirkhilles1 Member Posts: 863
    Looking at this picture, I can see that it IS missing something that was a silly, but selling point for our 2013. That little shelf separated into 3 areas above the glove compartment with grippy stuff. My wife uses that all the time to put stuff there. Agreed that I'd take that over this fancy wood anyday for real world family use.
  • Options
    For those that focused on my 4x4 comment, what you're saying is true. I think though that I didn't really do well at conveying what I was thinking. It was more along the lines of the second paragraph where i was talking about vehicles being overly-complicated with features and content. Look at the newer Edmunds vehicles, where they discuss the "cool feature" that's inconvenient, such as the transmission buttons being in the center-console, where it's hard to reach. Too gimmicky. Older vehicles, for the most part, tried to be responsive to what the customers were actually going to use them for. You couldn't find a factory decked out Suburban. Aftermarket companies would out-fit them for you. Now, SUVs are more car-like in features and content. If you wanted luxury, you went and got a Cadillac, Lincoln, Mercedes, BMW, etc. It was expected to have a leather interior. That's more what I meant.
  • Options
    7driver7driver Member Posts: 145
    This thing is a kid hauler, a minivan with swing out doors. It's going to get messed up and stuff spilled in it.
  • Options
    allthingshondaallthingshonda Member Posts: 878
    Leather seats and rubber floor mats make for easy cleaning. But like others have said and I agree with; why test a trim level that few people will buy. Should have gotten (well asked Honda to give you) the EX version that will be the best selling trim level.
  • Options
    schen72schen72 Member Posts: 433

Leather seats and rubber floor mats make for easy cleaning. But like others have said and I agree with; why test a trim level that few people will buy. Should have gotten (well asked Honda to give you) the EX version that will be the best selling trim level.

I personally like having the top trim tested. It's the only trim I ever consider for any car I buy.
  • Options
    @allthingshonda : I've actually said I'd like to see Edmunds do car reviews on some of the "base" model vehicles. I know the idea of "let's test a vehicle with every feature" which will let people know what its like in the car with everything, but I'd also like to see reviews on a car every now and then that discusses what it's like living with a model of a car that doesn't have everything. Is it still comfortable? Do you need the upgraded seats, really? How's it handle without spending another 4 grand for a track package? What's the fuel economy like for the base engine? Is it really worth going from the base V-6 up to an EcoBoost 4 cylinder?
  • Options
    iamthestigiamthestig Member Posts: 85
    I, too, have noticed that cars are getting more expensive at a fast pace, and at the same time coming with much more standard equipment than many of us would want (especially at the base level). My theory is that base cars themselves are getting much more expensive before any options are added. By the time manufacturers cover the costs of developing ultra fuel-efficient engines and transmissions to meet EPA rules, and designing ultra injury-proof safety designs to meet strict guidelines from the IIHS and NHSTA, a base car like this Pilot might already be priced quite high. If a manufacturer has to charge that much, they then load up features to help justify the cost to the customer. There are other factors as well, but to me this is a big contributing factor.