Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

****Anyone have a 2001 Jimmy that actually starts normally??****

jimmy01yikesjimmy01yikes Member Posts: 3
edited December 2015 in GMC
Hi,

I just bought a 2001 Jimmy with only 21K miles. Now after reading all these threads I am scared to death. It seems like just about every owner has issues with the truck starting up and spend $1000's on potential repairs (fuel pump, coils, sensors, wire harnesses, oil pressure... etc) without permanent solution.

Does anyone out there have a 2001 Jimmy 2dr (non 4X4) that hasn't had any start up problems? Should I just turn around and sell this thing before crap hits the fan? Just looking for some piece of mind. Thanks!!

Comments

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    People without problems don't tend to post that their vehicle is running okay.

That said, low miles on an old car isn't necessarily a good thing. If you didn't get a pre-purchase inspection done, now would be a good time to have the Jimmy checked out. The shop can tell you what to expect for needed maintenance and repairs.
  • jimmy01yikesjimmy01yikes Member Posts: 3
    Thanks Steve. Very true about people only post problems. But if I had a nickle for every Jimmy owner that said they have had to replace the fuel pump multiple times I could afford a new car. I bought this car from a GMC dealership that got it on a trade-in and they claim its had a 170-point and in great condition. They did have to replace the ignition switch that they said was causing the battery to die. But seems to be running great the last 2 days I have had it (but its only 2 days). Just wondering if this car is worth the risk or if I should just turn around a sell it and get something else.

I know every used car is a risk but the more I read it seems like spending $1000's in repairs on this model is a very high probability. So I was just hoping to hear from a few owners with good experiences.
  • thecardoc3thecardoc3 Member Posts: 5,747
    There are no perfect cars that never need repairs. There is a trade off inside of the idea that if you buy a new car, the frequency of the repairs would be lower than an older one. But that comes with the expense of the monthly payment for most people, and if you compare dollar for dollar that makes repair costs look insignificant in the majority of cases.

The best you can do is budget, and plan for the vehicle expenses when they do occur. Then, save what you don't actually spend for the day that a major expense does occur, or until the day that replacing your present car makes the most sense.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Those 170 point inspections often miss stuff. I've read reports where the dealer "inspected" the psi in the tires (that's 4 points) and still managed to miss that one of the tires didn't match.

It helps if you have a relationship with a mechanic. It sounds like you are happy with the dealer so that's fine. If you don't have a indy shop and don't want to use the dealer in the future, this would be a good time to find one. A good going-over could give you a road map of potential issues to address and should help you decide whether to keep it. Otherwise, just rely on the inspection and maybe spot check a couple of items.

And like Doc says, an $800 brake job or a new throttle body or fuel pump is still just three or four car payments.
  • jimmy01yikesjimmy01yikes Member Posts: 3
    That's good advise from both of you. I really do appreciate it. Thanks!