Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Low tire pressure warning issue

microrepairmicrorepair Member Posts: 508
edited December 2015 in Hyundai
I have 2800 miles on a 2015 Sonata Limited and the tire pressure warning just came on a few days ago when the weather dropped to temperatures below freezing. I assumed that the low temps lowered the pressure. However, the warning shows the two front tires as being about 27-28 psi while the rear tires are OK at 30 psi. Seems strange that the below freezing temps would affect the front tires more than the rear..
So I added pressure to the two front tires to bring them up to 32 psi and when I restarted the engine, the low pressure warning was still on. So I drove about 1/2 mile and the warning wouldn't go away. Parked it, turned off the engine, restarted and drove into my garage and the warning is still on..
So, is there a requirement to do a re-set to get rid of the warning?
I would not like to have this feature keep crying WOLF in case the actual tire pressure should really drop and not give me a real warning..

Comments

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,289

I have 2800 miles on a 2015 Sonata Limited and the tire pressure warning just came on a few days ago when the weather dropped to temperatures below freezing. I assumed that the low temps lowered the pressure. However, the warning shows the two front tires as being about 27-28 psi while the rear tires are OK at 30 psi. Seems strange that the below freezing temps would affect the front tires more than the rear..
    So I added pressure to the two front tires to bring them up to 32 psi and when I restarted the engine, the low pressure warning was still on. So I drove about 1/2 mile and the warning wouldn't go away. Parked it, turned off the engine, restarted and drove into my garage and the warning is still on..
    So, is there a requirement to do a re-set to get rid of the warning?
    I would not like to have this feature keep crying WOLF in case the actual tire pressure should really drop and not give me a real warning..

I, too, own a Hyundai (2013 Elantra GT). I, too, get TPMS warnings in cold weather. Living at altitude (5900 ft), my local tire shop has overinflated my tires to 38 PSI (should be 32) to avoid the warning.

I've also had to have the TPMS warning reset through the OBD-II port inside my car. You might want to check with a local tire shop to see if that can clear the warning for you.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    I was under the impression that once you corrected the tire pressure and drove for a while, the system would reset, and that a special tool was only necessary if you changed out a sensor for a new one.

What does your owner's manual say about this?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    That's the way my van works. Got cold here, the tpms light came on, aired up and the light went off within a mile of driving.