Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Three Ways to Brake - 2016 Chevrolet Volt

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited December 2015 in Chevrolet
imageThree Ways to Brake - 2016 Chevrolet Volt

There are three ways to brake the 2016 Chevrolet Volt. You don't have to use them all, but using them makes sitting in traffic easier, creates a pleasant challenge and improves battery charge life.

Read the full story here

Comments

• desmoliciousdesmolicious Member Posts: 671
    But can you use the electronic parking brake when the car is moving?....
  • longtimelurkerlongtimelurker Member Posts: 455
    "The first would be the old-fashioned way: push down on the big fat middle pedal."

This car doesn't have a manual transmission, and it has an electronic parking brake switch...so it just has a left pedal and a right pedal...there is no middle pedal.
  • gslippygslippy Member Posts: 514
    I like those braking options. The newer BEVs seem to be getting similar options also.
  • tlangnesstlangness Member Posts: 123
    edited December 2015
    If you count the rest pedal, the brake is the middle pedal. It's also in the middle of the pedal box.
  • daryleasondaryleason Member Posts: 501
    That is an interesting question about the parking brake, since most cars use the parking brake as an emergency brake in the pedal brakes fail. On the cars that have a push button brake, what do they recommend if your normal brakes fail?
  • thecardoc3thecardoc3 Member Posts: 5,747
    edited December 2015
    From page 187 of the owners manual.

If the EPB is applied while the vehicle is moving, the vehicle will
    decelerate as long as the switch is held up. If the switch is held up until
    the vehicle comes to a stop, the EPB will remain applied
  • longtimelurkerlongtimelurker Member Posts: 455
    tlangness said:

If you count the rest pedal, the brake is the middle pedal. It's also in the middle of the pedal box.

Yeah, I don't really count a dead pedal as an actual pedal. I have never heard of anyone calling an automatic-tranny car a three-pedal car, nor a manual-tranny one a four-pedal car.
  • mfennellmfennell Member Posts: 91
    I posted this earlier but: I think the e-golf has the best mechanism for managing regen. When in "D", rocking the lever to the left summons more regen, right reduces regen. There are 4 standard settings from zero to almost-the-most. Pulling the lever back brings up B (brake?) which is one-foot driving. Since the e-golf weighs more, it's probably not as aggressive as an i3 but it's been so long since I drove one I can't say for sure.

Since regen is blended seamlessly with the brake pedal already, it probably makes almost no difference. I recall that Dan Edmunds though there was a tiny improvement in effiicency with L in the 1st gen Volt, simply from the reduced delay to engage it in stop-n-go traffic vs. applying the brake. I never saw any difference myself.