Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2011 Chevrolet Equinox problems.

dubadub14dubadub14 Member Posts: 2
edited December 2015 in Chevrolet
I've had several problems of late with my Chevrolet Equinox. It has 111,000 miles on it but the oil has been changed with dexos oil every 3-5k miles. Of late the check engine light has come on, my car will not idle in most cases once the gas is let of the engine just turns off. Once restarting the engine will have a card in bicycle stoke sound to the engine. I've read online about a recall on the cam shaf sensor on the 2011 Equinox. But when I look on GM website nothing is listed. Can anyone help me please? I need this fixed ASAP

Comments

• thecardoc3thecardoc3 Member Posts: 5,747
    First step. What code is setting?
  • dubadub14dubadub14 Member Posts: 2
    When I get it checked at like oriely's they just tell me it's the timing belt. Then today the reduced engine power light came on
  • thecardoc3thecardoc3 Member Posts: 5,747
    The Equinox does not use a timing belt, both engines use chains. If the code is for camshaft / crankshaft synchronization. Someone needs to find out of it is out if time all of the time or if it starts with the camshaft in time and then loses the ability to control the camshaft timing after the variable valve timing system turns on.

The exact code number(s) would be a help along with the freeze frame data, and then a live data capture of the failure.
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    dubadub14 said:

I've had several problems of late with my Chevrolet Equinox. It has 111,000 miles on it but the oil has been changed with dexos oil every 3-5k miles. Of late the check engine light has come on, my car will not idle in most cases once the gas is let of the engine just turns off. Once restarting the engine will have a card in bicycle stoke sound to the engine. I've read online about a recall on the cam shaf sensor on the 2011 Equinox. But when I look on GM website nothing is listed. Can anyone help me please? I need this fixed ASAP

Hello dubadub14,

We would be glad to look into this for you. Recalls are VIN specific, but we would be more than happy to check to see if there are any open service announcements associated with your vehicle. We can also help you schedule an appointment with a dealership to get this concern diagnosed.
    Please send a private message with your VIN, contact information, current mileage, and preferred certified Chevrolet dealership.
    We are looking forward to your message.

Cecil J.
    Chevrolet Customer Care
  • keno123keno123 Member Posts: 1
    I'm having the exact same problem with 2011 Equinox. The light cane on about a week ago. I've had the card in spoke sound since it was purchased.  Dealer could never find anything wrong. Not sure what to do.  Don't want the problem to get any worse. 
  • concerned48concerned48 Member Posts: 1
    Ive got the same problem with my 2011 equinox 173k on it and just spent 1500 dollars to have the timing chain replaced but i still makes a horrible sound on start up... i cant afford to pay for more repairs is there anyone who knows if GM is responsible for this or not... cant find a recall number for it. Any help would be appre
  • gtx1209gtx1209 Member Posts: 2
    I've been having problems with my 2011 Equinox the past few days. Every morning when I come out to start the car, there is barely enough juice for the engine to turn over and my windshield wipers and emergency flashers are on. Now I know for a FACT that they were not on when I turned the car off the night before. What is causing my car to turn these things on and drain my battery like this? I have loved everything about the car since I've had it but this is driving me nuts. I don't feel like I can depend on the vehicle anymore.
  • ray80ray80 Member Posts: 1,655
    gtx1209 said:

I've been having problems with my 2011 Equinox the past few days. Every morning when I come out to start the car, there is barely enough juice for the engine to turn over and my windshield wipers and emergency flashers are on. Now I know for a FACT that they were not on when I turned the car off the night before. What is causing my car to turn these things on and drain my battery like this? I have loved everything about the car since I've had it but this is driving me nuts. I don't feel like I can depend on the vehicle anymore.

Perhaps the battery is drained (weak) and causing crazy stuff with electrical systems. Original battery? Is it cold where you are and does it get driven far enough after start in cold to fully charge the battery back up?
  • gtx1209gtx1209 Member Posts: 2
    Yeah it gets driven every day and I live in a rural area so just about every place I have to go is a distance. It is the original battery and I have considered that that may be the problem. But why would would that turn on the four ways? I think the computer is kicking in and draining the battery not the other way around because my phone lights up in the middle of the night and asks if I want to connect to the car.

• ray80ray80 Member Posts: 1,655
    gtx1209 said:

Yeah it gets driven every day and I live in a rural area so just about every place I have to go is a distance. It is the original battery and I have considered that that may be the problem. But why would would that turn on the four ways? I think the computer is kicking in and draining the battery not the other way around because my phone lights up in the middle of the night and asks if I want to connect to the car.

The electrical stuff can do strange things at times when the proper power is not presented to them. There are quite a few things that retain power even when vehicle is shut off (radio favorites, radio security thing, vehicle security, etc). Many/most of these things communicate with BCM (Body Control Module) so if that is getting questionable power things could happen (Then again it could be something else entirely :) )