Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2015 i3 BEV for $219/mo - how does the math work.

ng_bimmerng_bimmer Member Posts: 2
edited January 2016 in BMW
Hi,

I am seeing an online ad http://www.bmwusa.com/bmw/special-offers/lease/2015-BMW-i3 advertising a $219 / mo lease deal for i3 for 30 months , 10,000 miles and $3000 down. This includes the $7500 federal credit and an additional $2000 happier holiday promotion. The fine print says that this is based on MSRP assumption of $44,695 and end lease buy out price of $26,370 which I am guessing is the residual value.

I am trying to figure out what that means in terms of residual value % and money factor so I can talk to the dealers when I am negotiating an actual car. But plugging in the numbers in any reverse lease calculator is giving ridiculous numbers. The money factor comes out negative! The residual value % seems to be in excess of 60%. Something is not making sense! Please help explain the numbers. How do I translate this online promotion into something I can use to negotiate in real life?

thanks,
NG

Answers

• Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,185
    ng_bimmer said:

Hi,

I am seeing an online ad http://www.bmwusa.com/bmw/special-offers/lease/2015-BMW-i3 advertising a $219 / mo lease deal for i3 for 30 months , 10,000 miles and $3000 down. This includes the $7500 federal credit and an additional $2000 happier holiday promotion. The fine print says that this is based on MSRP assumption of $44,695 and end lease buy out price of $26,370 which I am guessing is the residual value.

I am trying to figure out what that means in terms of residual value % and money factor so I can talk to the dealers when I am negotiating an actual car. But plugging in the numbers in any reverse lease calculator is giving ridiculous numbers. The money factor comes out negative! The residual value % seems to be in excess of 60%. Something is not making sense! Please help explain the numbers. How do I translate this online promotion into something I can use to negotiate in real life?

thanks,
    NG

.00131 MF and 59% residual for 30/10.

The information you don't have from the ad: The dealer discount, in addition to the rebates and incentives.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator