Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Returns Best MPG on the Road to Joshua Tree - 2015 Volkswagen Golf GTI Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited May 2015 in Volkswagen
imageReturns Best MPG on the Road to Joshua Tree - 2015 Volkswagen Golf GTI Long-Term Road Test

Our video producer daily-drives a midsize SUV, so he was skeptical that the compact 2015 Volkswagen GTI was big enough for a weekend road trip. Not only is this hot hatch spacious inside, it also returns impressive road trip fuel economy.

Read the full story here

Comments

• prndlolprndlol Member Posts: 140
    Sounds like a surprisingly adept long-haul cruiser, something I wouldn't associate with a Golf , GTI or not.
  • DebunkerDebunker Member Posts: 49
    Totally adept on the highway. Having a 2015, I can say that it's as relaxed at 80 as most anything on the road. It's quiet and tracks dead straight. No darting whatever. About like an Audi A4.
  • zr1diotzr1diot Member Posts: 1
    "As a video producer, I wanted to video the experience, but she would have none of it."

My wife had the same reaction the last time I wanted to video our experience.
  • diondidiondi Member Posts: 71
    edited May 2015
    prndlol said:

Sounds like a surprisingly adept long-haul cruiser, something I wouldn't associate with a Golf , GTI or not.

I've done many a road-trip in my 2010 GTI, and it is a very confident car for long distances. The seats are great, ample passing power, cabin is relatively quiet, fuel economy is VERY good if you set up cruise control. Very good car for eating up long distances on the highway.

Lots of these trips were fully loaded with 4 passengers + luggage as well, and no one complained of discomfort either sitting in the front or rear. The rear A/C vents help a lot with that.
  • fordson1fordson1 Unconfirmed Posts: 1,512
    Have to chuckle at the modern American millenial's realization that a mid-size SUV (read: 4500 lbs.) is not required to transport him and his girlfriend on a weekend trip.
  • djd352djd352 Member Posts: 31
    I recently drove a 2015 VW Golf wagon with the 2.0TDI (150 hp) and DSG across Germany. I was completely blown away, by far the best driving non-luxury brand I have ever driven, with the exception of its bigger brother the new Passat, not available in the U.S. The Golf felt perfect at 180 kmh (112mph) and only needed a finger on the wheel. So linear, comfortable, and quiet. Even at these speeds and stuck in traffic in Berlin, I averaged 37 mpg on the trip! This new Golf may not look that different, but it made a huge leap forward and I will definitely consider one when I'm in the market.
  • desmoliciousdesmolicious Member Posts: 671
    "leaving Santa Monica at 11:30 on a Friday afternoon "

wait, what?
  • veedubber86veedubber86 Member Posts: 57
    prndlol said:

They're actually quite nice. I like driving my dad's TDI on road trips.

• ducky10ducky10 Member Posts: 27
    We drove our mark 6 GTI from Seattle to Atlanta (7000 miles). We used 2 lane roads and interstates. The VWs top speed was reach in remote Montana. The air con was on as soon as we reached the other side of the mountains east of Puget Sound. Despite spirited driving, we enjoyed a comfortable trip averaging 32 mpg over two weeks.
  • nedturnernedturner Member Posts: 32
    Seattle to Atlanta. Try 2637 miles, not 7000.
  • nedturnernedturner Member Posts: 32
    You realize 7000 miles would get you to China, right?
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,681
    nedturner said:

Seattle to Atlanta. Try 2637 miles, not 7000.

Maybe it was a round-trip?

With detours for sight-seeing, 7000 wouldn't be that hard to achieve

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator