Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

A Friendly Group - 2015 Ford Mustang GT Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited January 2016 in Ford
imageA Friendly Group - 2015 Ford Mustang GT Long-Term Road Test

Certain cars get you a lot of attention, but our long-term 2015 Ford Mustang GT gets more attention than some competitors.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    jakek66jakek66 Member Posts: 60
    Could you imagine if Ford went all-out and put a Audi-grade interior in the thing? It would be unstoppable. The current interior isn't bad, just some cost cutting is inevitable on many parts to keep the cost in the mid 20's for base models.
  • Options
    sxty8stangsxty8stang Member Posts: 58
    jakek66 said:

Could you imagine if Ford went all-out and put a Audi-grade interior in the thing? It would be unstoppable. The current interior isn't bad, just some cost cutting is inevitable on many parts to keep the cost in the mid 20's for base models.

Personally, the '15+ interior is already darn nice and I have no interest in the price getting any higher. A loaded GT coupe is now well over 40K and a convertible near 50K. That's a lot for a car that has always been about affordability.
  • Options
    bankerdannybankerdanny Member Posts: 1,021
    I agree with sxty8stang, the Mustang is already too expensive in my opinion. I was easily able to afford a 1 year old '87 LX 5.0 one a year after college. Now I am a late career professional making almost $100k and wouldn't feel comfortable spending what it costs to buy even a moderately optioned GT.

Fortunately the base V6 makes more power than my old 5.0 did, so that is likely the route I would go.
  • Options
    daryleasondaryleason Member Posts: 501
    edited January 2016
    Everyone else is commenting about a nicer interior...meanwhile I'm the guy going "how much cheaper could the GT be if they'd cut out everything except for A/C and an AM/FM stereo with Bluetooth? I don't even need the console. Give me cheap cloth seats, a manual, hand-crank windows, manual door locks, etc. Now, ABS, Power brakes & steering, I won't argue with. But there's a lot of creature comforts I would be willing to pass up to get more go and less show, while still saving some dough.

As for the friendliness of other drivers, I've noticed it with my vehicles. My 2013 F-150, not so much, since they're really common and fairly new. But when I roll around in my 89 Suburban (the Square Body from 73-90), I get plenty of "Car Guy" nods from fellow 4x4 and older SUV/Truck enthusiasts. With the 4x4/SUV/Truck crowd, it doesn't seem to be as brand specific. We might make jokes about Ford/Chevy/Dodge/Jeep/Toyota/Whatever, but you rarely see a brand specific off-road club.
  • Options
    dm7279dm7279 Member Posts: 63

Everyone else is commenting about a nicer interior...meanwhile I'm the guy going "how much cheaper could the GT be if they'd cut out everything except for A/C and an AM/FM stereo with Bluetooth? I don't even need the console. Give me cheap cloth seats, a manual, hand-crank windows, manual door locks, etc. Now, ABS, Power brakes & steering, I won't argue with. But there's a lot of creature comforts I would be willing to pass up to get more go and less show, while still saving some dough.

Ford would unfortunately make it a special "track" model, and charge more than a base GT, since this is what Porsche and other Euro makes have done. Really baffling as it would be a cool option to get a light weight, stripped out GT for $30K or so.
  • Options
    cobrysoncobryson Member Posts: 110
    @bankerdanny A late career professional making almost $100k, that drives for Uber full time? Color me confused.
  • Options
    desmoliciousdesmolicious Member Posts: 671
    I know what the car guy thumbs up is (Fonzie saying 'ayyyy!', right?) but what is the Mustang car guy head nod?
    Is it this?

• Options
    edited January 2016

As for the friendliness of other drivers, I've noticed it with my vehicles. My 2013 F-150, not so much, since they're really common and fairly new. But when I roll around in my 89 Suburban (the Square Body from 73-90), I get plenty of "Car Guy" nods from fellow 4x4 and older SUV/Truck enthusiasts. With the 4x4/SUV/Truck crowd, it doesn't seem to be as brand specific. We might make jokes about Ford/Chevy/Dodge/Jeep/Toyota/Whatever, but you rarely see a brand specific off-road club.

That was my '87. Obviously it was pre-airbag, ABS and electronic safety stuff. But it was bare bones: 5 speed, A/C, AM-FM Cassette. No leather or sport seats, no power windows or locks. I think the only other option it had was a 3.55 LSD.

Honestly though, when I drive my "72 MG I do miss the power windows (and the A/C, I have a GT, which is a hardtop, and 90 degrees in traffic with no AC sucks).
  • Options
    sxty8stangsxty8stang Member Posts: 58

I agree with sxty8stang, the Mustang is already too expensive in my opinion. I was easily able to afford a 1 year old '87 LX 5.0 one a year after college. Now I am a late career professional making almost $100k and wouldn't feel comfortable spending what it costs to buy even a moderately optioned GT.

Fortunately the base V6 makes more power than my old 5.0 did, so that is likely the route I would go.

And that's why I bought a used '11 GT in late '11 for 30K instead of a new one for 40.
  • Options
    natschampnatschamp Member Posts: 22
    The GT 350 with the wider front fenders , unique hood and front bumper looks real good. The regular GT front, much, much less so.
    I'm happy with the style and performance of my 08 Bullitt that I bought new . Haven't even given a minutes thought to moving to the new style . The Bullitt , IMO, among the very best for appearance out of all Mustangs .
  • Options
    cobryson said:

@bankerdanny A late career professional making almost $100k, that drives for Uber full time? Color me confused.

Part-time (Friday nights and all day Saturdays generally). I spent almost 6 months of last year unemployed so I am making up for lost income.
  • Options
    cobrysoncobryson Member Posts: 110

cobryson said:

Part-time (Friday nights and all day Saturdays generally). I spent almost 6 months of last year unemployed so I am making up for lost income.
    Fair enough-I realize now I came off as a bit of a dick, didn't mean it that way. Glad to hear you're gainfully employed again.
  • Options
    kain77kain77 Member Posts: 6
    Must be regional. I pass by Mustangs all the time and can count on one hand the times I was acknowledged, and I see a lot of GTs and special editions. I get more car-guy nods from Camaro owners.

Like just about any mass-produced vehicle, it's best to wait for the inevitable price drop when buying new. I got my new '14 GT Premium for $27.5k right after the '15s were announced. I enjoy my car, but would never have paid mid-30s for it.