Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

GMC Envoy "service stabilitrack" light

problem_envoyproblem_envoy Member Posts: 4
edited September 2015 in GMC
Has anyone else had problems with the "stabilitrack" system on an '08 Envoy. They had a recall on it - I took it in for the recall. They did "whatever" and it's been back 4 more times. The light comes on anyway the system is pressed into operation. And stays on!!!! I take it in - the shop checks it out and changes some parts here and there and proclaims it "fixed!!!" until 24 hrs later when the light is back on!!! Anyone else???

See Also
Edmunds Answers: Stabilitrak Light Questions

Comments

• jojo19jojo19 Member Posts: 3
    Yes, I have!!! I own a GMC Denali Xl 2006 and I have taken the car back to the dealership at least 4 times for that same problem. As of today teh problem is not fixed and I have given up on it. They tell me that it does not interfere with the driving performance or car longevity . All I can do is just hope that they are right!!! :(
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    Hello Jojo19,
    Can you please email me more information about your situation so I can look into it further? You can get my email by clicking on my name. Thank you,
    Mariah GM Customer Service
  • gerrybeargerrybear Member Posts: 3
    i have a problem with the light that stays on ..from the day i bought it ...they have change the master computer under the truck, which did not help..one thing that worked is by changing ..the key barell..it worked for a few months then it came back..when it does come on ,i shut the engine and start over again and the light goes out...till the next time..i give up..gerry
    the problem is in the sterring wheel collum THE SENSOR..
    STERRING WHEEL SENSOR
  • alfredgalfredg Member Posts: 1
    I have the same vehicle same year and everything and my stabilititrack came on and when it does come on the check engine light and the reduced engine power loght comes on as well and the denali seems like it is loosing dower what do i need to do hooked it up to machine and all it said was throttle issues so idk
    Alfredg,

Have you considered getting this diagnosed at your servicing dealership? Is there anyway we can help? Let us know – email Christina here with more information (name, VIN, contact info, dealership).

Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • chyna40chyna40 Member Posts: 2
    As the owner of a 2006 GMC Denali, it is horrifying to drive in a car, that while driving in the middle of traffic, the stabilitrak and engine light comes on and power is reduced at a quick rate. I was told to have the throttle body changed because that would fix the problem. It was changed and 5 months later the same thing. Now it has been recommended to change the E.M.C. and the ignition switch (cost over $1300) and no guarantee that will fix it. Why make these sophisticated cars if no one from the GMC place I go to can guarantee how to fix them?
  • gmcustsvcsarahgmcustsvcsarah Member Posts: 1,964
    Chyna40,

I am so very sorry to hear that you are feeling unsafe in your Envoy as a result of the Stabilitrak concern you've described in your post. Customer Assistance is available to help you work with your dealership towards diagnosing what is behind the Stabilitrak and engine light systems. Please send us an email with more information, including your name and contact information, the last 8 digits of your vehicle's VIN, the name of your involved dealership, and information on your visits to the dealership.

Regards,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • futzyfutzy Member Posts: 2
    My 2006 Envoy, 66k miles, has recently had intermitent problems with both the StabiliTrak Service Light and the Stabilitrak indicator light coming on while driving. I must turn off the engine, then restart and both lights go out. Is this a potential computer error, or just a loose wire problem. I do not have the DIC on this vehicle. Will these intermitent issues appear on any computer check?
    Looking at the manual, if the lights were to remain on after you restarted your vehicle then there is a potential issue with your Stabilitrak system. I was unable to find additional information behind what may cause the Service StabiliTrak Light and the StabiliTrak Light to come on.

If you were to decide to visit a GM Dealership to have this further evaluated, please let us know in an email and we'd be happy to follow up with your dealership.

Regards,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • futzyfutzy Member Posts: 2
    Thanks Sarah. I will be checking with my dealer next week to have this issue looked at. Dealer is Boucher GMC & Cadillac, Waukesha Wisconsin
  • kishia1kishia1 Member Posts: 3
    Hi I have an Envoy Denali and my service stabilitrak light stays on all the time. Is their a recall or can i have it fixed at the dealership at no or discounted cost.?
  • rottieloverrottielover Member Posts: 2
    Well it looks like I'm not alone, my 2007 Envoy dash is starting to look like a Christmas tree. This is one of the strangest vehicles I have ever owned.
    1. the gas guage died, got repaired under warranty thank goodness it was expensive, along with the driver side window motor.
    2. the left and right - front and rear speakers come and go when they want to
    3. the tire pressure light comes and goes thru out the day year round, tires have correct pressure
    4. the check engine light comes and goes, my mechanic is confused can't get a code & he's good!
    5. the seatbelt/door bell is loud then soft, then quiet then loud etc....
    6. the dash light at the heat and a/c temp control knobs comes and goes
    7.. the stab. track lights have now come on and stay on, the button on the side of the gear shift has no effect. I'm waiting for one of us to get stranded before we can get rid of this piece of junk.
    Now I am not an individual that neglects a vehicle, the Chev car my wife drove before the GMC Envoy had 206,000 miles. My current Chev. Silverodo work truck has 337,000 miles we take care of our cars.
    This Envoy has 75,000 on it now and really started having problems at about 20,000 miles.
    I figure it will cost a chunk of cash just to figure out what all the lights mean and no telling what it will cost to repair.. I've got to get the damn lights off the dash so I can sell it. NO MORE GMC'S FOR THIS CONSUMER!
  • vfd323vfd323 Member Posts: 2
    hi i have my 2006 gmc envoy slt model, i love the vehicle but every 800 miles or so my service stability light comes on and when you turn the key off and back on the code is gone and is not stored in the computer, comes up as a steering wheel position sensor issue?
    vfd323,

Per page 3-57 of your manual, there is a potential issue with Stabilitrak if the message remains in the DIC after restarting the vehicle. As in your situation it is going away after a restart, there may not be any issue. Were you planning on getting this checked out?
    Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • koolcarjxikoolcarjxi Member Posts: 2
    I just bought a used 2006 envoy xl denali, second day I have it the "service stabilitrak" light comes on. I've had the car for42 days now and my car has been back to the dealers 4 times now and I've only driven it for 21 days now and the light is on again. The dealer, ray Chevrolet-fox lake il tells me a new code comes up every time. Steering wheel sensor, three other codes I don't remember. Is there a recall yet or anybody know the real reason. Also getting service engine light and reduced power light. I'm starting to wonder why the envoy was a trade in. I have a 2002 envoy slt with 350,000 miles and never had a problem like this. Somebody please help before I make my second car payment.
  • chyna40chyna40 Member Posts: 2
    This vehicle is completely computerized...I have had the same problem for over a year. I have spent close to $1700 getting it fixed snd still same problems as you to the tee and was told no recall and it really needs to be. If you could get out of keeping the vehicle....get out while you can....I have had the throttle body changed, the ignition switch, and some module...the last thing changed were the wires...the engine was rewired some time near August and now my check engine light is on and stablitrack warning comes on once again but no powerloss yet...keep in touch
    koolcarjxi,
    If you would like for us to check into this further with your dealership, please email us at socialmedia@gm.com (include your name and contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN and mileage, and a summary of the situation so far).

Sarah, GM Customer Service
  • idladytigeridladytiger Member Posts: 2
    Our 06 Envoy does the same thing. It's the least of the miseries with this vehicle, so we just 'reboot' it. We're more concerned about spewing fuel.
  • koolcarjxikoolcarjxi Member Posts: 2
    how do you "re-boot" the system? and can you do it yourself or do you have to take it to the dealer every time?
  • jbk4jbk4 Member Posts: 1
    I really wish I had read this forum prior to buying my 2008 Envoy Denali. I love the truck it only has 45,000 mile clean carfax but had the truck less than 2 months and my light comes on periodically. It started this past week with the heavy rains and now it happens at random but once I turn the truck off and back on it goes away. This is very scary because I bought this vehicle for the long haul and I have years of payments ahead of me. Can someone tell me if this is damaging the truck?
  • schoolboyschoolboy Member Posts: 1
    Hello! I purchased my GMC Envoy Denali from Fremont, California GMC in 2006. I am the original owner! The Envoy Denali has 108,088 miles. I have enjoyed the vehicle and traveled a lot with my family. Luckily, I was able to repair the gas gauge when the dealership agreed to share the repair costa few years prior. Now the check engine light continues to appear and disappear. The Stabilizer light also continues to appear and disappear. More importantly, the Envoy Denali looses power and shuts. Several mechanics have not been able to fix the aforementioned repairs, and I spent and wasted hundreds of dollars trying to turn off the check engine light, stabilizer light, and keeping the motor running. Presently, the Envoy Denali collects dust, parked in my drive way. I need your help and support fixing my Envoy Denali because I will not sell a lemon to another person. Please, send me any advice!

Vin: 62225608
    Dealership Name: GMC Fremont California (closed, out of business due to economy)
  • nleonardnleonard Member Posts: 1
    Hello. I also am having issues with my Envoy, the stabilizer lights are on and also the ABS and break light. But along with the lights being on I have no control of my heat or air conditioner, oh and no cruise control either. But the truck runs fine. there is no issues with the way it runs. Can anyone please tell me what to do to fix this besides paying all kinds of money to garage?
  • lineman265lineman265 Member Posts: 1

So was anything ever decided about how to fix the issue with the "service stability-track" light being on intermittently?

Hi lineman265,

I understand that you have a concern with your Service Stability-Track light being on. I'm not properly trained to offer technical advice, but I will be glad to take a further look into this. Please send us an email to socialmedia@gm.com including your full contact information, VIN, current mileage, and preferred dealership if our assistance is needed. We look forward to your reply!

Kristen A. (Assisting Amber)
    GM Customer Care

• fwhaleyfwhaley Member Posts: 1

I wish I would have read this forum before purchasing my '06 GMC Envoy Denali almost 2 months ago. My service stabilitrak sensor keeps coming on and is going to take $$$ to fix it and by reading the comments I'm not sure if it will actually be "fixed". In the 2 months I've had it, it has broke down with me and my babies numerous times and has already cost more money than I have ever put into any vehicle I have owned. I have also noticed while driving it that it appears to be losing power and it seems to be very common in this vehicle. Regretting my purchase!

• sodonewithcar3sodonewithcar3 Member Posts: 1

I'm having the same stabilitrak problem. 06 Envoy with 120K miles. Had to replace the engine twice now and the stabilitrak light is on constantly. Started coming on after 5 minutes of driving (could sit in the car and would stay off as long as not moving). Had a sensor in the steering column replaced and that worked for about a week. I think the car is possessed - any new ideas on how to fix this thing?

• shady11shady11 Member Posts: 1

I have 2008 envoy with 68000 miles and have been having this problem for 3 years. Have spent and spent at a dealership to have this problem fixed but nothing has helped. Last week was my latest. All should be taken care of they say, well it is not! Seriously, I need a fix for this. And on that isn't going to cost me another 3000 dollars.

@shady11 said:
    I have 2008 envoy with 68000 miles and have been having this problem for 3 years. Have spent and spent at a dealership to have this problem fixed but nothing has helped. Last week was my latest. All should be taken care of they say, well it is not! Seriously, I need a fix for this. And on that isn't going to cost me another 3000 dollars.

Hi shady11,

Sorry for your frustrations with unresolved repair visits. Please private message me if I can be of any assistance. Thanks.

Kenneth M.
    GM Customer Care

• thesaylerthesayler Member Posts: 1
    When I had this problem, (SERVICE STABILITRAK and TRACTION CONTROL OFF kept coming on) it ended up being the FUEL PUMP.
  • ray80ray80 Member Posts: 1,655
    thesayler said:

When I had this problem, (SERVICE STABILITRAK and TRACTION CONTROL OFF kept coming on) it ended up being the FUEL PUMP.

One of the troubles with the SERVICE STABILITRAK /TRACK OFF lights is they very often come on as a result of something else (SES/CEL light) and there isn't one thing that causes it, just the stabilitrak thing is common. The item that really needs fixing is whatever caused the SES/CEL light

• sheila31sheila31 Member Posts: 1
    edited March 2015
    My 2007 Envoy same thing on again off again, had it looked at they adjusted something now it is still doing it along with check engine light UGGHHHHHHHHHHH,
  • johnnycolemajohnnycolema Member Posts: 1
    It seems obvious to me that GMC needs to step up and take responsibility for the SERVICE STABILITRAK and TRACTION CONTROL OFF lights coming on. What ever happened to just doing the right thing?

Signed - Another Envoy owner.
  • mbordesmbordes Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2007 envoy Denali XL. THIS CAR IS SO DANGEROUS!! I have had all of the problems previously mentioned. Dash lit up like a Xmas tree, Windows failed, tire light always on (even after brand new tires), check engine on and off randomly, electrical problems galore. Brake lights out after all bulbs have been changed. Now the current problem is that my headlights aren't working. Add to that the fact that I was driving with my 3 year old and the abs failed and I had to use the emergency break to stop!!! Took it to pep boys (bc gmc was too busy to look at my car after my near death experience) and they ran a diagnostics test and it said there's a problem with ABS. After the stabilitrack problems, BEWARE!!!! You're abs can possibly fail!! I almost crashed and now the hunk of crap is sitting in my driveway because my local gmc sh*t dealership refuses to take it before July 6th bc they are backed up. I WONDER WHY!!! I cannot wait to get rid of this crap car   I will never buy another GM vehicle as long as I live! There has to be a recall on this! Any idea where I can go and who I can call? This should NOT be happening. Has this happened to anyone else? Ps. I have brand new brakes!!!!

• mbordesmbordes Member Posts: 2
    Also have been having problems since 20,000 miles. Only at 67,000 miles now. I am completely beside myself. There has to be something we can do. This isn't right. This car is a death trap!!! There needs to be a recall. Someone from GMC has to remedy this. Where do I start? Who do I call? 
  • jcrossingjcrossing Member Posts: 1
    I join my fellow commenters in their frustration regarding the "Service Stabilitrak" light. I have a 2006 Envoy XL Denali, which now has roughly 118,000 miles on it. I have had the stabilitrak light come on intermittently since I have had the vehicle. The dealership, Fairborn Buick/GMC (now under the name Valentine Buick) has never been able to specifically identify the reason for the light. They have reset the light but it just continued to intermittently come back. It came on again yesterday but this time it came on at the same time that the load leveling system appeared to have failed because the rear end of the car has squatted and want auto-level itself. The light came on another time when the truck appeared to have been leaning on one side but the dealer said the two problems were unrelated. So, tomorrow I will visit the dealer again for good on VIN number .....66134282 and see what they CAN'T discover as the problem this time.
  • ladyl3oladyl3o Member Posts: 1
    We currently own a 2006 Envoy Denali XL and the check engine light is staying on constantly. We have experienced the Stabilizer Bar Off indicator light which caused the power to decrease in the car during traffic. This was a dangerous situation with my vehicle load being 5 children as passengers. I noticed that when I turned the vehicle off and back on the indicator light went off but there was no heat. I am contacting our GM service professionals today at McKenney Chev/Cad/Buick/GMC 831 S Main St Lowell, NC (Ryan) who has handled various issues with this vehicle since purchased almost 5 yrs ago for an appointment. I'm not looking to continue to spend tons of $ on a vehicle with issues that is obviously been a problem for some time with this model of car. If there's any suggestions of help I'm open to hear them! - clear
  • sharebear1sharebear1 Member Posts: 1
    I have recently purchased a 2006 Envoy which I love. However after purchasing it from a no name dealership my stabilitrac off light came on. Just like another post it lost power while on the interstate doing 70 mph in traffic. I took it to Auto Zone and was told that the following codes were what showed up: left front wheel speed sensor, steering wheel angle sensor, way rate sensor, pulse width sensor modulation, throtle pedel position a b volt sensor, random something misfire, and internal C M T P. Anyways, I love this vehicle however it scared the crap out of me and my son on our way back from Paris Island. I can not afford to pay a ton of money to fix this vehicle. I do however believe that these codes have went off before and the computer was reset and now I am stuck with a vehicle that to me seems UNSAFE. Please tell me what to do, that won't cost a fortune!!!!
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Welcome to what seems to be becoming the world's largest GM vehicle club.

The only real solution is to get the car into the hands of a truly expert technician, who can spend the time (and alas, some of your money) to patiently track this down. The cause of these Stabilitrak messages seems to be multiple, so there's no one component to point to. It could be anything on that list of yours. Hopefully the error can occur while in the hands of the tech who has diagnostic equipment hooked up and can stream real time data from the various sensors and modules. Once some unusual value shows up, he's on the track of it.

So you need to find someone who understands this situation, has dealt with it successfully before and who can look you in the eye and tell you "I can fix this problem, I've done it many times before". You don't want people playing guessing games with your wallet.
  • Bekkabrat71Bekkabrat71 Member Posts: 2
    edited September 2018
    Xx

• Bekkabrat71Bekkabrat71 Member Posts: 2
    Just  FYI there is currently a recall on the headlight issue so you just need to call your local GMC dealer and schedule an appointment to get that fixed for free.  😉😉 As far as the ABS failure I too am having issues with mine... it’s actually in the shop at the moment getting fixed and I believe they said it’s the ABS sensor and the axel tone ring (TONE) which I guess communicates with that ABS sensor. I will let you know if they’re able to fix my problem. 🤞🤞
  • pjp144pjp144 Member Posts: 1
    I had a 2006 SLT with 141000 miles I bought it 5 years ago with 86000 miles and had the same problem soon after , but it only came on in the morning , after restart it didn't come on anymore and never lost power had it check many times no one could fix it ?? so I just lived with it, had to change ABS sensor and normal maintenance.. loved the truck , I had a head on collision 2 weeks ago and the truck saved my life , Its a total loss , if I can find another one I would buy it,
  • YolieYolie Member Posts: 3

Has anyone else had problems with the "stabilitrack" system on an '08 Envoy. They had a recall on it - I took it in for the recall. They did "whatever" and it's been back 4 more times. The light comes on anyway the system is pressed into operation. And stays on!!!! I take it in - the shop checks it out and changes some parts here and there and proclaims it "fixed!!!" until 24 hrs later when the light is back on!!! Anyone else???

See Also
    Edmunds Answers: Stabilitrak Light Questions

Yes I'm having the same problem. I have taken it to three mechanics. The last mechanic quiz about two weeks ago they said it was my fuse box so they replaced it with a used fuse box I ended up paying them $442 within five days the stability track light came on again and the car just stopped and won't drive anymore I've been having this problem for 12 months now the car has just been parked off and on this past year I don't know what else to do it's back at the shop again help me somebody

ladyl3o said:

We currently own a 2006 Envoy Denali XL and the check engine light is staying on constantly. We have experienced the Stabilizer Bar Off indicator light which caused the power to decrease in the car during traffic. This was a dangerous situation with my vehicle load being 5 children as passengers. I noticed that when I turned the vehicle off and back on the indicator light went off but there was no heat. I am contacting our GM service professionals today at McKenney Chev/Cad/Buick/GMC 831 S Main St Lowell, NC (Ryan) who has handled various issues with this vehicle since purchased almost 5 yrs ago for an appointment. I'm not looking to continue to spend tons of $ on a vehicle with issues that is obviously been a problem for some time with this model of car. If there's any suggestions of help I'm open to hear them! - clear

I have the same kind of vehicle and the stability track keeps coming on and when it comes on the car won't drive I am so sick of it
    I am having the same problem with my 2006 Envoy Denali the stability track light keeps going on the car is immobile because of it I already spent $442 try to fix it but to no avail the car is sitting now I've had it towed like about 5 times already I am so sick of it
  • MP12345MP12345 Member Posts: 1
    I'm an engineer. I own a 2006 Saab 97-x, with the Vortec 4200 I6 engine and 200K miles. It is the same as the 2006 GMC Envoy. Over the past five years, it seems like everything has broke on it. As a result, I have been through every inch of that car and fixed it when the GM dealerships could not figure it out. Many problems are very complex, like the sudden loss of power problem but can be fixed cheaply if you know how. I've had to fix just about everything on it and I mean everything. At times it was very frustrating. I also spent some money I did not need to spend. Let me know if you are still having problems. ABS, throttle control, loss of power, EVAP, steering, suspension, engine, power steering, wiring, lights, brakes, and the list goes on and on.
    Mark
  • FixitorscrapitFixitorscrapit Member Posts: 1
    MP12345 I have had my 2006 Envoy Denali for many years and would buy another if they still made anything similar. Had problems caused by the ABS sensors and suspension which my mechanics were familiar with. I'm still experiencing the occaisional Traction Control message but the vehicle is hard on the front end Drive/Steering components that get regular service and is not as much of a concern.
    I am still puzzled by the momentary loss of power which seems to occur mostly at about 1200 rpm and is accompanied by the check engine light illuminating briefly. It took me a while to figure out that once the brake pedal is depressed, that I could activate the cruise control again.
    Any insight on this particular issue would be appreciated.
  • NaiveGMCOwnerNaiveGMCOwner Member Posts: 1
    Currently own a 2006 Envoy XL Denali and have all sorts of crazy electrical issues. Currently the DIC light comes on and goes off intermittently but has been in the off mode for days. I can't tell mileage or use it change any features because the DIC light panel does not come on. I also have the same issues with stabilitrak/abs lights coming on and going off. My speakers buzz on and off with engine sounds for no reason. Sometimes I can't get the gearshift knob to go in so I can put the car in gear. When you put your foot on the brake to put in gear sometimes there is no click sound with the gear knob to indicate a connection. My husband bought this car last year for me, everything worked great until now and I feel bad that I have to keep telling him all these things that seem to be electrically wrong with it. Any ideas on where to begin the search to fix these issues would be most appreciated.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,780

Currently own a 2006 Envoy XL Denali and have all sorts of crazy electrical issues. Currently the DIC light comes on and goes off intermittently but has been in the off mode for days. I can't tell mileage or use it change any features because the DIC light panel does not come on. I also have the same issues with stabilitrak/abs lights coming on and going off. My speakers buzz on and off with engine sounds for no reason. Sometimes I can't get the gearshift knob to go in so I can put the car in gear. When you put your foot on the brake to put in gear sometimes there is no click sound with the gear knob to indicate a connection. My husband bought this car last year for me, everything worked great until now and I feel bad that I have to keep telling him all these things that seem to be electrically wrong with it. Any ideas on where to begin the search to fix these issues would be most appreciated.

I think you are on the right track. it seems electrical in nature. I'd have someone check the battery and/or the alternator, to make sure they are operating properly

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator