Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy HHR suddenly not starting, cranks fine, runs great.

clayman999clayman999 Member Posts: 1
edited October 2016 in Chevrolet
Yesterday my wife filled up with gas on the way to the airport. She said they when she got back in the car she had to turn the key twice before it would start.

Last night I would get in the car (2007 HHR 2.2 LT) and the car would crank like normal but never fire.

I messed with the gas peddle a bit while trying to start it and got it to start a couple of times. Also I tried to hook jumpers up to my truck even though the battery seems fine and it did not seem to make a difference.

Once running it ran great. I noticed that the check engine light did come on after I got it started that first time. When I would turn the engine off if I tried to restart imediately there was not a problem but if I wait a few minutes it was like starting the whole process over again.

Its a mystery to me as to why it can be so hard to start and require me to try 5 or 10 times but then run great once it actually starts.

Some other info is that it has not had a problem before, the gas was down to about 40 miles left when my wife filled it up, and the gas cap had not been put back on correctly.

From scouring the internet I see that if the gas cap is not securely tightened with alreast 3 clicks it can cause the engine light to come on.

I checked the fuses as well to make sure they were all plugged in well.

Also it seems like it might be the fuel pump in that it might not be priming the engine correctly. (that is my uneducated guess)

I do normally hear a little hum when I try to start the car and believe I was hearing it last night as well.

If the fuel pump was out would the car start at all and if so run so well? I added fuel cleaner to the gas last night and drove about 30 miles without any problems.

Just wont start. I appreciate any ideas??

Comments

• huffmanshhr1huffmanshhr1 Member Posts: 14
    I am just as stumped . I did learn something in your post that I dont even think the dealer knows....
    i had a problem with my engine light coming on periodically and then just going off....I told the dealer ,twice, exactly what happened(because we are currently under bumper to bumper warranty-so I dont miss ANYTHING that may be wrong lol) and I missed the appointments because it went back off and didnt feel like sitting there half the day for nothing. Point being that if they knew about the gas cap causing it if not put back on correctly , dont you think they would have mentioned it??
    We did associate it with getting gas, or running low....but didnt know what the deal was.

Thanks for the information!!!:) I know now that we were right and it really wasnt a big deal.
  • jcarle1jcarle1 Member Posts: 1
    I own 2008 Chevy HHR. It has been a great car until recently. On a very hot day after I had been driving and restarting without problems the car would not restart. I even added gas thinking the gas gauge had a problem. Still no restart. GMC roadside took the car to a dealer and naturally it ran fine and restarted multiple times for them. Picked up car and drove for a day then it happened again. Back to dealer. Hooked up to scanner and still no codes showed a problem. Dealer had car for 4 days. Since we were on vacation, we got the car started and drove the 250 miles to home. Stopped at a Chevy dealer (where I had prchased the car) and after the car failed to start for them they took it in. Called and said the problem was solved and that it was the computer module. Covered under warranty. Drove for one day then the problem resurfaced. Had it towed again (GMC Roadside) back to the dealer. Now they say it is the fuse block uner the hood with a short. Whole thing has to be changed. This time the part has to be ordered from Lansing and is not covered. (Car has 53000 miles on it). Now I will be out 500 dollars and they still are not positive it will be fixed.
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    jcarle1,

i apologize for the problems you are experiencing with your vehicle. Please keep me posted if the fuse block does not fix the problem.

Thank you,
    Caron, GM Customer Service
  • gfryargfryar Member Posts: 1
    I filled the car up when it was still running. After leaving the station the car had a bad missing problem, is now hard to start and has a surge problem. My husband unpluged the battery to reset the computer and that seamed to help some. Still have a starting problem and some problem getting it up to a good speed when going up a big hill.
  • lisamoore4872lisamoore4872 Member Posts: 2
    same prob here---ill make this short n sweet.....its the POWER STEERING fuse #60 under the hood....mine keeps blowing, and car wont start-----cant figure it out either, so i keep the YELLOW #60 fuses in my glove box :(
  • greghallgreghall Member Posts: 2
    Our 07 hhr just started this problem, keeps cranking, i turn the key back to off.
    then the next time i try it might start normally, but it might also do the same keep on cranking issue.
    once it starts it runs fine, really starting to worry my wife as she drives almost daily early in the morning.
  • laserbluelaserblue Member Posts: 313
    Have you thought about changing the gas filter and geting your fuel injectors cleaned?

Might be the problem.
  • greghallgreghall Member Posts: 2
    Thanks, will try that.
  • bparker4bparker4 Member Posts: 2
    We recently had the same type issue with my wife 2008 HHR. After going through all the normal things I checked the fuel rail with the key on as you should have pressure there with the key in the on position. Was not getting any fuel there. Lucky me the fuel pump was covered and once replaced have not had an issue. This seems to be a common problem with the HHR as I have found a ton of other sites with people talking about the same issue.
  • asechris1asechris1 Member Posts: 1
    I bought used with 30k on it.
    thank god that i am a ase certified master mechanic that has own shop.
    i has now been a year that i owned this junk pile.
    so far besides the noises,clanking,i replaced,brakes,rotors,tires,ignition switch,turnsignal switch,air bag light on and off,rear drums,other misc problems.
    called gm corperat and they basicly told me to get lost!!!!
    I will never buy or any of my customers or friend,family,to buy a gm product !!
    no wonder why they are bankrupt,with service like this!!!
  • leomosleomos Member Posts: 2
    Ive been having the same issues for 2 weeks now but the only time it does'nt crank is when it get below 45 degree's outside. If its close to 50 or above it cranks up great. I have talked to several GM mechanics and they are all stumped. The computer checks have all been without errors.
    I have gone over my wife's 07 HHR with a fine tooth comb and can not find any reason for the problem .... until tonight.
    I was looking thru a forum not in here and have found the same issue with a person who might have figured it out. He has an 07 as well and his mechanic installed a second ground wire from the engine block to a shock tower. His mechanic had found a ground drop in the system and once he added the extra, it went away and the car started.
    This makes sense due to my checking. I was checking my current from the battery to the relay box, I was getting maximum voltage to the relays but had a slight flux in power that I blew off has a poor meter connection. Tomorrow I will be checking all the ground connections again and looking at adding an additional ground cable off the block.
  • lesa0120alesa0120a Member Posts: 1
    I am having the same issues and the dealership can't seem to find a problem because it starts for them did this fix your problem?
  • leomosleomos Member Posts: 2
    No, it didn't fix the problem, I gave it back to the dealership. If yours is a burgundy 07 HHR standard shift it might be the same car....
  • oncloud9oncloud9 Member Posts: 1
    Have you considered the posibility of Vapor Lock? Sometimes, when a car is driven in hot weather, then shut off for a short time, it will not restart for a period of time. Usually removing the gas cap will help resolve the vapor lock.

My story, if you are interested...
    My first experience with vapor lock was when I was driving long distance on a highway. I stopped for gas, then a little later stopped at a rest stop, turned off the car, took care of the necessary bathroom needs, came out and got nothing when I turned the key. I called for a tow right away so I would not have to wait too long, and then I checked a number of things - yes, the battery cables were tightly connected and not corroded, all fuses were good, but it still was silent when I turned the key. I then removed the gas cap, and the car started right up. I called and cancelled the tow, and then drove the rest of the way home, problem solved.
  • kbalcomkbalcom Member Posts: 3

@clayman999 said:
    Yesterday my wife filled up with gas on the way to the airport. She said they when she got back in the car she had to turn the key twice before it would start.

Last night I would get in the car (2207 HHR 2.2 LT) and the car would crank like normal but never fire.

I messed with the gas peddle a bit while trying to start it and got it to start a couple of times. Also I tried to hook jumpers up to my truck even though the battery seems fine and it did not seem to make a difference.

Once running it ran great. I noticed that the check engine light did come on after I got it started that first time. When I would turn the engine off if I tried to restart imediately there was not a problem but if I wait a few minutes it was like starting the whole process over again.

Its a mystery to me as to why it can be so hard to start and require me to try 5 or 10 times but then run great once it actually starts.

Some other info is that it has not had a problem before, the gas was down to about 40 miles left when my wife filled it up, and the gas cap had not been put back on correctly.

From scouring the internet I see that if the gas cap is not securely tightened with alreast 3 clicks it can cause the engine light to come on.

Also it seems like it might be the fuel pump in that it might not be priming the engine correctly. (that is my uneducated guess)

I do normally hear a little hum when I try to start the car and believe I was hearing it last night as well.

If the fuel pump was out would the car start at all and if so run so well? I added fuel cleaner to the gas last night and drove about 30 miles without any problems.

Almost the same with my car. Take it to work, on really hot days, I come out and the car won't start. I have it towed to the dealership, by the time they look at it, it starts. Has happened 3 times already, the garage can't fix it because the car starts for them so they can't get any codes. I hate this car, I can't go anywhere with it because it may not start.

2010 HHR

• gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252

@kbalcom said:
    Almost the same with my car. Take it to work, on really hot days, I come out and the car won't start. I have it towed to the dealership, by the time they look at it, it starts. Has happened 3 times already, the garage can't fix it because the car starts for them so they can't get any codes. I hate this car, I can't go anywhere with it because it may not start.

Hello kbalcom,

I'm sorry you've experienced several occurrences of your HHR not starting. If you would send your full name, address, phone, VIN and the name of the dealership you wish to work with to socialmedia@gm.com (Attn: Marlea), I‘ll do my best to look into your concern further.

Marlea W.
    GM Customer Care

• jkp81187jkp81187 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2008 that is giving me the same problems. I keep bringing it to the dealership service center and getting the same answers. They always tell me it starts for them. They did a cleaning.r.thinking maybe it was clogged...no improvement. Now the l check engine light has come on a second time. You would think the dealership would give you answers.
  • bigpapa480bigpapa480 Member Posts: 1
    I HAVE A 2008 HHR AND AFTER FUELING IT FLOODS IT DOESN'T MATTER IF YOU FILL UP OR PUT 10 BUCKS IN HAS ANYONE ELSE HAD THIS PROBLEM?
  • meengine06meengine06 Member Posts: 1
    I have the double start problem with strong smell of gas after the engine is turned off.
    Not experiencing any electrical problems.
    Just now need to crack the key twice as though I am pumping fuel.
    Anyone research the cracked fuel pump problem?
  • captaintomcaptaintom Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a used 2008 HHR. Owner explained that he has had the double key starting procedure for a couple of years and hasn't figured out how to fix it. The car eventually starts and runs well.
    I'm very interested in how to fix this problem. So far answers have ranged from complete fuel system replacement to add a wire to the ground. There's got to be a common reason with a common solution.
    Help !
  • socal_ericsocal_eric Member Posts: 189
    For future reference to anyone reading this, it is a somewhat common problem on the Ecotec engines used in that generation of cars and is normally an easy and inexpensive fix. If you have hard starting where it cranks forever after refilling the fuel tank, it stumbles a little and dies, but eventually start and runs normally after that point it's likely a bad evaporative purge solenoid (valve) in the emission system.

When filling the gas tank it is letting fuel or fuel vapor into the intake manifold and the car is essentially doing the same thing as what would happen decades ago with vapor lock on a carbureted vehicle. When you have this issue the fuel gauge may also read incorrectly as the tank may start to collapse as it can't properly vent with change in fuel volume and air temperature. Since displaced air pressure can't get out of the tank when you're at the gas station refilling (as the emission system is redesigned to be a closed system and capture any fuel vapor) it can also cause a problem where the gas station pump keeps shutting off (i.e. overflow shutoff keeps kicking in).

There are two evaporative emission solenoid/valves that can cause similar issues, the one connected to the intake manifold which is the most common as well as one on the charcoal vapor recovery/capture canister at the rear of the car near the fuel tank/rear axle area. It may or may not set an emission systems check engine code, but if set and you had a good dealer tech and were still under the extended emission system warranty was normally covered (the emission warranty can vary by state requirements so check with your dealer).

If you have a simple socket set and can remove one bolt and disconnect/reconnect the electrical connect and a vacuum line, both parts are very easy to install and fairly cheap. As of the date of this post the canister vent valve (rear of car) is ~$30 and canister purge valve (intake manifold) is around $25 at AutoZone and the last time I purchased one of these their house-brand (Duralast) solenoid/valve is was using the same supplier as GM and even had the GM part number on it.

They're a common part used on many GM vehicles and most part stores should carry them. If you search for Cobalt, HHR or Ecotec "hard start after filling gas" you should find more info and pictures/videos on how to change them.
  • cmsandovalcmsandoval Member Posts: 1
    socal_eric  thanks! You just save my vacations, I'm going to change both valves, meanwhile I'm purging manually on the connector that is located on the sick or flute where the injectors are while other person starts the engine. 
    Once again, thank you very much
  • novakatnovakat Member Posts: 1
    I have a  2008 HHR with 109k miles.  The first major repairs we had to do was the rotors @ 10k. Then this year I went ahead and replaced the timing chain and water pump for normal maintenance. Shortly thereafter I had to replace a thermostat, a month later another thermostat and repeated this until I replaced 4 thermostats and the sensor in 6 months. The last two weeks my car has not wanted to start in the early morning and late evening. I believed this was due to a possible faulty battery (and it being cold as hell). After having the battery tested the CCA's (cold cranking amps) on the battery read normal (601 CCA's) however this CCA's on the battery connection in the engine compartment read lower 220 CCA's. I had the  Alternator and starter tested and they came out fine. After doing more testing on the battery itself it showed to be faulty and I replaced it, unfortunately the very next day I had the same exact problem.  I just ordered the alternator last night and I'm going to see if that correct the problems. *fingers crossed*

Nova
  • kittyyrenkittyyren Member Posts: 1
    I just got a Chevy hhr  lt 2010 it ran fine and now it won't start  can anyone help please  we jump the battery and it fires all it does is cranks   after we shut it off. It comes up with esc on the display 
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Get yourself a cheap spark tester at Autozone and start with that. It's a handy tool to have anyway.

Also, turn the key to "on" (don't crank it) and have someone stand by the gas filler cap and listen for the noise of the fuel pump going on for a few seconds. If no noise at all, start there, checking fuses and relays for the fuel pump.

If you have spark and the fuel pump is working, you still might have a low fuel pressure problem. For this, you'll need a fuel pressure gauge hooked up to the fuel rail. Low fuel pressure could be a clogged fuel filter or a bad fuel pressure regulator.

If you have good spark and good fuel pressure, then you have to check for injector pulse using a NOID light. On some cars, you can check for a bad crankshaft position sensor by watching your tachometer when you crank the engine. If the tachometer doesn't register anything, then you might have a bad CKP or something related to it (bad ground on the ECM for isntance).

Careful diagnosis, step by step, is the only way to get the problem solved. Guessing and parts tossing is expensive and often frustrating.

Good luck !

• heavychevy83heavychevy83 Member Posts: 2
    Running into the same problem this morning. Car ran fine last night, wouldn't start today. Engine cranks over, belts are moving when it does. 60 amp fuse looks fine as well. I hear the hum from the fuel pump prior to cranking. Connections to the fuse box look alright but will snug them up just to be sure. Will check the fuse with a multimeter too. Currently the battery is disconnected to reset the computer. Once I get it running am going to a car dealership to trade it in. Way too many problems on an engineering level to have payments. Any other suggestions would be helpful.
  • heavychevy83heavychevy83 Member Posts: 2
    Nevermind. Found the problem
  • wcox71774wcox71774 Member Posts: 1
    2008 HHR 2.2 car ran great in the morning. 3 hours later started, ran kinda rough. engine light came on during my drive, 15 minutes. Shut car off now it wont start, If i hold the gas to the floor, it will try to start but wont. tach reads while cranking. any ideas before i rip everything apart? still need to get it towed.
  • bradley17bradley17 Member Posts: 1
    Just wanted to add my 2 cents worth here. I read this forum because I was having trouble with my dad's HHR (100,000 mile)cranking multiple times before starting. There are a lot of "could be" in this forum, but nobody came back and said they had found a solution. Well, I decided to change the fuel pump, because car would run fine after cranking two or three key cycles, so I deduced a check valve in the fuel pump bleeding off.
    Well, what the actual problem was, is that the fuel module (pump) in the tank is spring loaded. When this is compressed (installed in tank) there is a hose that runs from the check valve to the outlet nipple to the fuel line. This rubber hose had actually worn a hole into it in the tank, letting the fuel pressure bleed off. The "leak" occurred in the tank and could not be seen until I changed out the pump module.
    The car now starts fine on the first key try, like it is supposed to. Hope this is helpful to someone out there, and saves a lot of frustration and headaches. Good luck!
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Well you could try spraying some starting fluid in the air intake and if it kicks right off then you know you have a fuel delivery problem---but with a CEL light on, you really want to pull those codes before working on the car.
  • crzygpacrzygpa Member Posts: 2
    jcarle1 said:

I own 2008 Chevy HHR. It has been a great car until recently. On a very hot day after I had been driving and restarting without problems the car would not restart. I even added gas thinking the gas gauge had a problem. Still no restart. GMC roadside took the car to a dealer and naturally it ran fine and restarted multiple times for them. Picked up car and drove for a day then it happened again. Back to dealer. Hooked up to scanner and still no codes showed a problem. Dealer had car for 4 days. Since we were on vacation, we got the car started and drove the 250 miles to home. Stopped at a Chevy dealer (where I had prchased the car) and after the car failed to start for them they took it in. Called and said the problem was solved and that it was the computer module. Covered under warranty. Drove for one day then the problem resurfaced. Had it towed again (GMC Roadside) back to the dealer. Now they say it is the fuse block uner the hood with a short. Whole thing has to be changed. This time the part has to be ordered from Lansing and is not covered. (Car has 53000 miles on it). Now I will be out 500 dollars and they still are not positive it will be fixed.

• crzygpacrzygpa Member Posts: 2
    Did replacing the fuse box by the dealer fix your problem??
  • TomzyTomzy Member Posts: 1

@clayman999 said:

Last night I would get in the car (2007 HHR 2.2 LT) and the car would crank like normal but never fire.

I know this is an old post I ran into a problem with an 09 hhr that had a hard start problem Iv done everything to this car from fuel pressure test to evap sensor new injectors I plugged my scanner back into this thing for the tenth time and I happened to notice the alcohol level in the fuel was high over 60 percent I reset the fuel trim back to zero and guess what car runs fine I even tested the fuel in the car it and it was only 10 percent alcohol hope this helps anyone that has this problem