Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Opinion on potential purchase...

forensicbpforensicbp Member Posts: 1
edited January 2016 in Lexus
Hey everyone. I own a 2013 Chevy Malibu with around 44K miles. I bought it brand new. It's in excellent condition and I've had no issues with it. A few vehicles back, I owned a 2006 Lexus GS430 and I have to say, it was the best vehicle I've ever owned. I loved...I've been kicking myself for years for getting rid of it.

With that said, I'm inclined to get back in a Lexus GS. I don't want to pay much, if any over the value of my trade in and would prefer to do a clean swap or even swap with money back to me. From what I can gather, my car is worth between $10k-$12K. I have found several GS' in that price range but of course they are older (2006-2008) and typically have 100K+ miles.

I'd like your opinions on trading in a low mileage 2013 Malibu for a high mileage older GS.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    4sallypat4sallypat Member Posts: 49
    Go to Carmax and get a true estimate of how much your car is worth.
    Then once you get the Carmax certificate, go to the dealer you found a GS at and negotiate on the GS itself.
    Do not negotiate with the dealer on the Chevy.
    The dealer should have no problem taking in your trade at the Carmax price because they can just drive it over to them and get cash out.
    Important:
    Negotiate a warranty on the used GS as a car with that many miles will need a lot of repairs soon.
  • Options
    texasestexases Member Posts: 10,708
    I wouldn't do it, you'll be getting somebody else's high mile GS, not the one you owned years ago.
  • Options
    PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    texases said:

I wouldn't do it, you'll be getting somebody else's high mile GS, not the one you owned years ago.

I'm inclined to agree. Trying to recapture something you had may not turn out to be a happy trip down memory lane.
  • Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Whoever owned that GS before you got the better part of it.