Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Does the Bike Fit? - 2016 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited January 2016 in Mazda

imageDoes the Bike Fit? - 2016 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible Long-Term Road Test

Bike + 2016 Mazda MX-5 Miata = ?

Read the full story here

Comments

• yellowbalyellowbal Member Posts: 234
    ... are you hungover?
  • thepuffthepuff Member Posts: 87
    The bike probably has more power than the Miata anyhow.
  • kirkhilles1kirkhilles1 Member Posts: 863
    What a waste of an article. What's your point? Oh wow, the Miata is small. Thanks!
  • subatomicsubatomic Member Posts: 140
    Amusing long-term entry. Perhaps there is a a bicycle carrier/trailer and hitch arrangement available for the MX-5.
  • miata52miata52 Member Posts: 114
    I use to carry my bike around in my MGB. Stick it in the passenger seat with the top down, no problems. Haven't tried it with the Miata...
  • misterfusionmisterfusion Member Posts: 471
    @miata52 - A bike is always a good accessory for a British roadster, as you will certainly need the alternate transport at some point. :P
  • desmoliciousdesmolicious Member Posts: 671
    subatomic said:

Amusing long-term entry. Perhaps there is a a bicycle carrier/trailer and hitch arrangement available for the MX-5.

Akshully I think I've seen a bike with a Miata carrier attached to it.
  • desmoliciousdesmolicious Member Posts: 671
    "And for good measure I threw out the Miata keys too, and took the Viper home."

Interesting that you first picked the Miata over the Viper...
  • g_k1g_k1 Member Posts: 14
    I carried my 54cm fixie in my Lotus Elise with the top installed. I removed both wheels, (you can buy a dummy axle or quick-release device to hold the chain in place), placed the frame upside down with the fork in the passenger footwell, then placed the wheels upright between the frame and the passenger door. I put socks over the fork legs to protect the paint where they rubbed against the dash and used a strap to hold the frame and wheels together, and it worked just fine.
  • allthingshondaallthingshonda Member Posts: 878
    edited January 2016
    More concerning is that you seem to have parked the Miata with the top down under what appears to be a restaurant kitchen exhaust fan.

Going completely off topic, I just think that if any car was made to have a small turbocharged 4 cylinder engine it's the Miata. Mazda really dropped the ball on the engine. They're going to have to come up with a small turbo 4 to keep up with the competition. Honda is going to start phasing in their new 174 HP 1.5 turbo engine to replace the 2.4 4 cylinder workhorse they currently use. Toyota and Honda are ditching the V6 in the redesigned Camry and Accord for 2.0 turbocharged engines. Why not use the low volume Miata to introduce the new turbo engine. This will give them time to increase production to phase into other Mazda products.
  • wheelmccoywheelmccoy Member Posts: 97

More concerning is that you seem to have parked the Miata with the top down under what appears to be a restaurant kitchen exhaust fan.

Going completely off topic, I just think that if any car was made to have a small turbocharged 4 cylinder engine it's the Miata. Mazda really dropped the ball on the engine. ...

I think the exhaust fan is to provide ventilation to the indoor/underground garage.

Mazda has left the turbo engine for its sister/cousin/partner vehicle, the Fiat 124 Spider. Naturally aspirated has its fans. So do turbos. Now there's choice. But I wouldn't rule out future MazdaSpeed turbo versions of the Mazda3.