Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2016 Toyota Tacoma - Edmunds Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited January 2016 in Toyota
2016 Toyota Tacoma - Edmunds Road Test

What Did We Get?
The Toyota Tacoma has history. It's a workhorse with a reputation for reliability and durability that's known the world over. And it earned that reputation with the easygoing nature offered only in a smaller pickup. As midsize trucks go, it is the standard-bearer.

Read the full story here

Comments

• daryleasondaryleason Member Posts: 501
    I like the Taco, but it's got the same problem that all trucks have. They've gotten too big & too expensive. A new mid-size truck is almost as large as a 90s full-size truck. For the price they paid, they could have spent a bit more and gotten a full size.
  • redgeminiparedgeminipa Member Posts: 74

I like the Taco, but it's got the same problem that all trucks have. They've gotten too big & too expensive. A new mid-size truck is almost as large as a 90s full-size truck. For the price they paid, they could have spent a bit more and gotten a full size.

Most people buy a smaller truck because they want a smaller truck. It's not always about being able to step up to a big truck for not much more money.
  • jakek66jakek66 Member Posts: 60
    A whole $500 off? Woah, real negotiators your are! Gonna make the dealership bankrupt! ;-)
  • tacomamudpittacomamudpit Member Posts: 65
    I have been holding out on a new Tacoma so far: Can your team confirm a few things: If you have not already noticed and I will bet to your surprise? Can you please confirm the rear chrome bumper is actually a "PLASTIC" chrome looking bumper cover, NOT real chrome steel? Can your team finally confirm if the rear brake lights are LED? Or did Toyota go back in time to standard light bulbs? Can you confirm rumors about the new 6-speed auto doing allot of erratic searching for the right gear? I'm curious if MPG will be close to advertised, I have heard rumors it's just border line improved with a soft right foot? Too bad the Power sunroof is only offered on 4DR and select 4DR trims (This is almost a deal breaker for me). Finally, I have not seen but 1 new Tacoma on the road as of Jan 16? Are these slow selling? Or are people holding out?
  • daryleasondaryleason Member Posts: 501
    @redgeminipa : that was one of my points about size.
    @jakek66 : it's the beginning of 2016, with the first remodel. I'm surprised they have any rebates right now.
  • ebeaudoinebeaudoin Member Posts: 509
    I'm sure at the end of your test you'll get at least $30,000 for this truck. The resale value on any Tacoma is out of this world. I noticed you mentioned keyless entry as first-in-class; I assume you are referring to a Smart Key system? Keyless entry has been used to refer to door unlocking via key fob/remote as long as I can remember (in that you don't have to insert the key into the door to enter, just push the unlock button.)
  • willin58willin58 Member Posts: 38
    I hope the sentiment about the truck isn't influenced by the 7,000 Tacoma ads I see on this site every day.
  • rm2008rm2008 Member Posts: 31
    jakek66 said:

A whole $500 off? Woah, real negotiators your are! Gonna make the dealership bankrupt! ;-)

At the time, the market value was sticker price. The demand was high and there weren't enough trucks on the lots. Could we have bought it for less? Yes, but then you'd be reading about this few months from now. Our price reflects a balance of getting this report to our readers first and still paying less than sticker.

-Ron Montoya, Senior Consumer Advice Editor
  • metalmaniametalmania Member Posts: 167
    I'm interested in reading about a long term Tacoma, since I'm pretty interested in the Colorado, but I would have preferred something other than the TRD off road version. I'm far more interested in a daily driver (on pavement) that'll do some mixed work and play on the weekends, and I suspect that's also what the bigger slice of the market does too. I think it's pretty obvious that the Tacoma, especially in this configuration, is going to blow the Colorado away off road if for no other reason than the Colorado's stupid low front air dam. Or at least stupid that it can't be easily removed (despite what GM claims about "easy removal"). I read a comparison test on another site between a new Taco TRD off road and a Colorado 4wd LT (not even Z71), and one of the declarations was how superior the Colorado's on-road ride and handling were. Well, duh, of course it did because the Taco was riding on big fluffy bear feet off road tires!

As a side note, and not really too big of a deal, why wasn't there a wrap-up article written for the end of the Colorado long term test?
  • longtimelurkerlongtimelurker Member Posts: 455
    Why do I get the feeling that Toyota is mostly phoning it in on this vehicle? Much is made of the fact that they went from the 4.0 to the 3.5L engine that is a newer design - what they did is go from an engine that no other vehicle in the lineup uses to one that all but two of the other vehicles in the lineup use.

They are riding on the reliability rep here - this is incremental income, not building a class leader.
  • kirkhilles1kirkhilles1 Member Posts: 863
    Wow, seeing that you haven't gotten a Tacoma before means that it was definitely needed. I'm not a truck guy, but to me, you get one to be a workhorse and so (unless you can write it off business wise) you get it stripped down and make it earn its living. Starting at $23k would be where I'd be looking at.
  • 5vzfe5vzfe Member Posts: 161

Why do I get the feeling that Toyota is mostly phoning it in on this vehicle? Much is made of the fact that they went from the 4.0 to the 3.5L engine that is a newer design - what they did is go from an engine that no other vehicle in the lineup uses to one that all but two of the other vehicles in the lineup use.

They are riding on the reliability rep here - this is incremental income, not building a class leader.

Actually all current Toyota V6 engines are from the GR family, the current 4Runner still uses the 4.0L 1GR-FE, and the new Tacoma uses the 3.5L 2GR-FKS which only the new Lexus GS 350 and RX 350 currently use.
  • actualsizeactualsize Member Posts: 451
    edited January 2016

I'm interested in reading about a long term Tacoma, since I'm pretty interested in the Colorado, but I would have preferred something other than the TRD off road version. I'm far more interested in a daily driver (on pavement) that'll do some mixed work and play on the weekends, and I suspect that's also what the bigger slice of the market does too.

The TRD versions are very popular. They make up 40% of the volume. They are not low volume niche specials. In fact, this year their status has been raised from option packages to full-fledged trim levels.

As for on-road considerations, the TRD Off-Road does not stand any higher, and the ride is potentially better on account of two factors: the 17-inch tires have more sidewall than other offerings and the Bilstein monotube shocks are better able to react to small bumps and tiny pavement ripples that might otherwise cause shake and jiggle - that's how it was with the initial Tacoma TRD off-road package in 1998. Also, I attended the Seattle launch of this new Tacoma and drove the TRD ORP versus a TRD Sport and a Limited and preferred the TRD ORP's on-road ride to both.

Finally, Our Colorado had the Z71 package. This Tacoma is spec'ed out similarly. We had hoped to get it early enough so the two would overlap, but for various reasons that didn't work out.

Twitter: @Edmunds_Test

• misterfusionmisterfusion Member Posts: 471
    What's interesting to me is that reviews are saying the new Taco is good, but not the out-of-the-park home run that I had been expecting. MT did a comparo and they literally said, "This was the Tacoma's game to lose" -- and it lost (to the Colorado).

I think Toyota was very smart to raise the ground clearance across the line. But in what is increasingly typical fashion for Toyota, they barely moved the needle in many other areas. They could have tried a little harder and had an unbeatable smash hit, but then again, they know people will buy these things no matter what.
  • desmoliciousdesmolicious Member Posts: 671
    Really looking forward to this LT test. The Taco is my kind of size truck. And for me the off road package is a must, so thank you!
  • s197gts197gt Member Posts: 486
    at these gas prices the taco should one of the best resale values of any recent vehicle when you are done. there is no arguing how popular these trucks are and how they hold their value.
  • allthingshondaallthingshonda Member Posts: 878
    If Toyota dealers are insisting on selling Tacomas for full sticker price they might be in trouble. Ford, Ram, and Chevy will all knock $10,000 off the sticker price of a full size truck. Why get a Tacoma for 35 grand when you could get a F-150?
  • darthbimmerdarthbimmer Member Posts: 606
    I'm glad you bought this truck for a LT test and I agree with your choice of package. A lot of people who buy trucks in this class want the increased offroad capability. We also want to know how much it compromises-- or enhances!-- road manners. It will be interesting to see how much this seemingly modest refresh puts the Tacoma ahead of Nissan's ancient Frontier design (it's what, 10 years old now?) and GM's recently redone Canyon/Colorado twins.

Oh, and be sure to tell us how that optional $90 exhaust tip on your spec sheet works out! ;)
  • dougnutsdougnuts Member Posts: 26
    Excellent choice, I'm very interested in hearing your thoughts on this truck. FYI, there are seat spacers available via the aftermarket if you all determine that the (non-adjustable) driver's seat sits too low.
  • danny111danny111 Member Posts: 8
    Glad to know you guys are driving this Taco. Sadly my 2006 trd off road is getting a re built trans. Only 85,000 miles. We aren't thrilled, but looking forward to your long term ride.
  • metalmaniametalmania Member Posts: 167
    I really hope we're almost done with the "why would you buy a mid-sized truck for this price when you could get a full sized" posts. The answer is because not all of us want to drive a full size truck every day or need their level of capability. In some cases, like mine, a full size in the configuration I would want won't fit in my garage, and I greatly prefer to park my vehicle in the garage most of the time. A mid size will also handle all of the "truck stuff" that I want it to do. Also, those incentive priced full sizers for the "same price" often don't have the same level of options. Whether that's important is subjective to the individual buyer. Would I prefer the current mid-size trucks to be less expensive? Yes, but they're not. I'd still rather buy what I would actually prefer to drive and live with than something I don't because it's a "better deal" on paper. It's not about "more", but what's the right fit for some people.