Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2016 Subaru Forester Prices Paid

Comments

• t0pher1t0pher1 Member Posts: 5
    Is this $1500 under invoice a Texas thing? Best I'm seeing in PA is $500 under invoice for a 2.5i Limited
  • jiminyintxjiminyintx Member Posts: 49
    Most likely a supply and demand thing. Subarus are not as popular down here in Texas, so maybe the dealers just price them to move and keep their sales volume high. They are obviously getting some good kickbacks from Subaru. The Internet sales manager I worked with told me he does many deals with out of state customers who buy over the phone or Internet and have their cars shipped. It must be cheaper or folks wouldn't be doing it.

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,012

Most likely a supply and demand thing. Subarus are not as popular down here in Texas, so maybe the dealers just price them to move and keep their sales volume high. They are obviously getting some good kickbacks from Subaru. The Internet sales manager I worked with told me he does many deals with out of state customers who buy over the phone or Internet and have their cars shipped. It must be cheaper or folks wouldn't be doing it.

Well, heck. Should have bought from a Texas dealer when we got my wife's Outback. Not much discounting here in CO, for sure.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• ursusursus Member Posts: 128
    t0pher1 said:

Is this $1500 under invoice a Texas thing? Best I'm seeing in PA is $500 under invoice for a 2.5i Limited

You can get $1.2K-1.5K in DC area. Closer than TX :)
    DC is only 2 hours away...hmm...
  • raybearraybear Member Posts: 1,795
    May also be a BS thing....just sayin'
  • jiminyintxjiminyintx Member Posts: 49
    When I made my deal on my previous vehicle in 2007 in Texas, I used Fitzmall.com pricing (in the DC area) to negotiate a better deal. I see now that they don't post their prices online. But if you email the, they may quote a you a better price than you are seeing in PA. They sure were great 8 years ago.
    Yep. I got $1.2K under invoice quote from Fitzmall through email from their manager. No negotiations, I just told him what I wanted and he replied that he'd get any Forester I want at $1.2K under invoice. But first I did get some bad quote from their salesperson, which I just ignored.
    Shot for $1000 under, but $800 under invoice is the best I can get from local dealer. It's gonna be a lease so I'm not gonna quibble over $10 a month for a dealer a mile from my house with the exact model/color we want. So I'm happy with it...I think :smile:
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Works for me, life is short, drive what you like. Enjoy!
  • dcm61dcm61 Member Posts: 1,567
    Mod - Can you please move the lease conversation to the lease thread? Thanks!
    Just to confirm: current 1.49% is for 48 month only and 1.9% - for 63 month?
  • ericlee0203ericlee0203 Member Posts: 1
    Hi All,

I am new here, I just got a quote for 2016 Subaru Forester Premium, Here is the informaiton:

MSRP: $28,621 (includes All weather and Eyesight Package, popular #2 package )
    Dealer invoice: $26,531 (Not sure)
    Request to replace leather seats fees: $1,000.00
    Price paid before all ttl and fees: $25,053.00 + 1,000.00 = 26,053.00

Could someone give me suggestion? Thank you!
  • bananapeal2bananapeal2 Member Posts: 2
    Hello,

I am willing to consider 2014 forester since it's similar construction. The used dealers are driving me up the walls however and i am having trouble realizing prices that beat expected depreciation (i mean you find one $22k but it's already 2 years old and almost out of warranty, not much value)

I am simply interested in premium with cold weather package. it seems sahm2015 managed a nicer one at $26k. He is also in CT like me. How realistic is this price? TrueCar also shows $25-$26k but then there's all sorts of fees that get added. I hope he'd return and tell us which dealer he made the deal with.

Many of you add electronics to the car and the price seems high, is $26k pre-tax (everything but sales tax) a realize-able price out in the wild? it is the end of the month...

Thank you for your insights. Happy Turkey DaY!
  • bananapeal2bananapeal2 Member Posts: 2
    Where are you ericLee? I am looking for less car than you and hoping for a max of $26k before sales tax.

You should find out what those other fees are since they are effectively part of the car's price. ... seems like a good one if there isn't some kind of $700-$1000 "documents" fee or "my secretary had to walk in here fee" or "paperclips" fee or whatever. What is your price going to the dealer aka everything but the sales tax?
  • tparks1978tparks1978 Member Posts: 7
    would anybody happen to know what the money factor on a 12k a year 36 month for a 2016 forester limited would be?

would anybody happen to know what the money factor on a 12k a year 36 month for a 2016 forester limited would be?

Answered in the lease thread you posted in.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

ursus said:

ursus said:

...placed an order today for Venetian Red XT Touring with "Exterior auto-dimming mirrors with approach lighting; Auto-dimming mirror with compass and Homelink" and Rear Bumper Cover:

MSRP: $35,262
    Invoice: $32,819
    Sales Price: $31,319
    Additional: tax, dealer fee $599 and gov fees $65.75 - total will be close to $2,000.

Expected to get it in December, but system showed delivery for the last week in January.

Ended up taking on 12/29 red 2.5 Touring with eyesight + Auto-Dim Mirror w/Compass and Homelink + All-Weather Floor Mats + Luggage Compartment Cover + Rear Bumper Cover + Splash Guard Kit for $29,845 ($1,500 under invoice). There weren't any Touring's w/eyesight around since the end of November, so I was happy when my dealer called to tell me that one had just arrived.
    Got $18,500 trade in for my 2012 2.5 Forester Touring.
    What a difference! Feels like a completely different car.
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    edited January 2016
    If you are 35 or under and recently bought a new Ford Escape, Honda CR-V, Toyota RAV4 or similar vehicle to transport your young family, a reporter would like to talk with you. Please email PR@edmunds.com no later than Thursday, January 7, 2016 and include your age, the age of your children and a few words about your vehicle choice.
  • zeppy68zeppy68 Member Posts: 28
    LOoking at either a forrester or a crv with the forrester how far below invoice should I be for a 2016
  • marcus142marcus142 Member Posts: 18
    Also interested in both cars zappy... interested in CVR-Touring and Forrester-XT touring.
  • marcus142marcus142 Member Posts: 18
    I was given these two quotes, are they reasonable? 16 forester, no navigation/eye sight

dealer 1
    Forester XT (Standard) 12k miles for 36 months $380.00 per month with $1,880.00 Down. Plus tax/fees.

Forester Limited (Standard) 12k miles for 36 months is $318.00 per month with $1,818.00 Down. Plus tax & fee's.

dealer 2
    0 down, fees upfront/taxes
    2.5i Limited - 335/month
    2.0XT Touring - 399/month
    marcus142 said:

I was given these two quotes, are they reasonable? 16 forester, no navigation/eye sight

dealer 1
    Forester XT (Standard) 12k miles for 36 months $380.00 per month with $1,880.00 Down. Plus tax/fees.

Forester Limited (Standard) 12k miles for 36 months is $318.00 per month with $1,818.00 Down. Plus tax & fee's.

dealer 2
    0 down, fees upfront/taxes
    2.5i Limited - 335/month
    2.0XT Touring - 399/month

Answered in the other thread you posted in.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• solippysolippy Member Posts: 1
    In California, some (but not all) Subaru dealerships are "one-price," "no-negotiation" with paid-employee (non-commission) sales people.

Has anyone compared the offer prices from the two types of dealers with commissioned vs. non-commissioned sales force?

Can anyone recommend a dealer that has offered low prices, preferably, but not exclusively, near San Francisco?

cheers & thanks
  • micochemicoche Member Posts: 17
    I've got a question about negotiating with a dealer, as well as about re-selling price...

At my subaru dealer in California, I was told that, according to KBB, subarus have the higher re-selling prices. That's great, if you are selling your subaru (and if KBB is right). Now, to take advantage of that high re-selling price, say, in about 3 years, the buying price should be as low as possible (taking into consideration what people say "as you drive your new car out of the dealer, it immediately goes down in price").

all that taken into consideration, what % below invoice price would be a "great" deal?

Also, should I start my negotiation off of the invoice price? I am a pretty tough negotiator, and am always willing to walk away if the salesman comes with too much BS.

Now on to the example...
    I see a 2016 Subaru Forester 2.0XT Touring w/ EyeSight + Nav for sale in Oakland, CA, for $37,173 (MSRP)

If I went in to negotiate this car, I would not accept anything higher than $30,000 (MSRP - 20%).

Do you think I could go lower than that? or 20% off of the MSRP would be a (real) deal-breaker for the dealer?

Going back to the re-selling price, say that I got this subaru 2.0XT Touring for $30,000 - how much, in today's market, could I expect when re-selling it in 3 years with about 35k miles?

I ask all of this because I've negotiated a couple of cars (for wife, for a friend) in the last 2 years, and even though my friends thought they got an amazing deal, I left both negotiations feeling I could have gotten an even lower price for their cars.

thanks in advance for your comments!
    micoche said:

I've got a question about negotiating with a dealer, as well as about re-selling price...

At my subaru dealer in California, I was told that, according to KBB, subarus have the higher re-selling prices. That's great, if you are selling your subaru (and if KBB is right). Now, to take advantage of that high re-selling price, say, in about 3 years, the buying price should be as low as possible (taking into consideration what people say "as you drive your new car out of the dealer, it immediately goes down in price").

all that taken into consideration, what % below invoice price would be a "great" deal?

Also, should I start my negotiation off of the invoice price? I am a pretty tough negotiator, and am always willing to walk away if the salesman comes with too much BS.

Now on to the example...
    I see a 2016 Subaru Forester 2.0XT Touring w/ EyeSight + Nav for sale in Oakland, CA, for $37,173 (MSRP)

If I went in to negotiate this car, I would not accept anything higher than $30,000 (MSRP - 20%).

Do you think I could go lower than that? or 20% off of the MSRP would be a (real) deal-breaker for the dealer?

Going back to the re-selling price, say that I got this subaru 2.0XT Touring for $30,000 - how much, in today's market, could I expect when re-selling it in 3 years with about 35k miles?

I ask all of this because I've negotiated a couple of cars (for wife, for a friend) in the last 2 years, and even though my friends thought they got an amazing deal, I left both negotiations feeling I could have gotten an even lower price for their cars.

thanks in advance for your comments!

20% off MSRP seems steep, but reach out to several Subaru dealers and see where the discussions lead. As you get to the end of the month, it's possible that one dealer needs to shift one more unit to hit a volume bonus.

Working in your favor is your location .. I can't imagine a lot of Subarus are sold in the Bay Area, as opposed to my location in Colorado.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

edited February 2016
    20% off MSRP seems steep, but reach out to several Subaru dealers and see where the discussions lead. As you get to the end of the month, it's possible that one dealer needs to shift one more unit to hit a volume bonus.

Working in your favor is your location .. I can't imagine a lot of Subarus are sold in the Bay Area, as opposed to my location in Colorado.
    Thanks Michaell

I've got an update/follow-up to my original comment:

I got this "offer" via Edmunds for a Forester 2.0XT Touring:
    Total MSRP $37,173
    $850 Destination Fee included
    Your Savings - $2,338
    Vehicle Price $34,835*
    Expires Feb 29, 2016

I honestly find this price of $34,835 way above what I think I could get after a few hours negotiation at the dealer. But I'd really appreciate your thoughts on how "good" of a price this 34k is, if good at all...
    micoche said:
    20% off MSRP seems steep, but reach out to several Subaru dealers and see where the discussions lead. As you get to the end of the month, it's possible that one dealer needs to shift one more unit to hit a volume bonus. Working in your favor is your location .. I can't imagine a lot of Subarus are sold in the Bay Area, as opposed to my location in Colorado.
    Thanks Michaell I've got an update/follow-up to my original comment: I got this "offer" via Edmunds for a Forester 2.0XT Touring: Total MSRP $37,173 $850 Destination Fee included Your Savings - $2,338 Vehicle Price $34,835* Expires Feb 29, 2016 I honestly find this price of $34,835 way above what I think I could get after a few hours negotiation at the dealer. But I'd really appreciate your thoughts on how "good" of a price this 34k is, if good at all...
     I don't personally track selling prices – use the "make/model/year" pulldown's from the top of the page to link to the price tools. 

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

edited February 2016
    Michaell said:

I don't personally track selling prices – use the "make/model/year" pulldown's from the top of the page to link to the price tools. 
    Thanks for following up.

My feeling is that a 2,338 savings (less than 10% of total MSRP (37,173)) is less than what I could negotiate - I wonder how Edmunds determines a "great" deal...

As I mentioned, whenever going into a negotiation, I start with an offer that is over 20% below the MSRP, and I go up a little (as the dealer goes down), but always ready to walk away (or to have the dealer tell me to go elsewhere).
    edited February 2016
    I'm not seeing that MSRP, probably because I'm missing some options. What I did see was invoice of $33,614, MSRP of $36,040 and TMV of $32,826. That for 94601 and includes the destination.

So TMV is about $800 below invoice. Over in the CR-V world, the best deals (rare) are $2,000 below invoice. The good deals are running $1,000 to $1,500 below invoice. That's in places like the DC area - for CR-Vs, the Bay Area doesn't seem to have very aggressive Honda dealers.

So, your current quote on a Subaru stuck me as being pretty good. 20% below MSRP would be a bit under $30k, and I don't know if that's doable. But who knows, like @Michaell says, you may find a dealer blowing one out to make the end of the month quota. $31,500 seems more in the realm of possibility but I don't have a lot of data points and I've been way off before!

Please keep us posted on how the negotiations go.

(Parked next to a newer white Forester just an hour ago - my sister had an '05 and dang, the new ones are almost as big as my Grand Caravan. :) )
    edited February 2016
    thanks stever for a great response!

indeed, Honda is out of the race in my case, since they are not willing to negotiate - at all (they offered a $1,000 rebate on a 2015 C-RV, and looked at me as if they were doing me a favor...)

by the way, here's the Forester 2.0XT Touring I mentioned above (just enter your name/email/phone -fake if you want- to see the price/offer I mentioned):
    http://www.edmunds.com/subaru/forester/2016/vin/?sub=suv&locationId=2081&franchiseId=28783&inventoryId=3E83B06FE6E77056CA5EF5EA2E74B116
    Ah, the blue Pearl. Nice. And how can you not like anything from Santa Cruz? (my wife was born there, lol).

Dunno, you have it figured out and you've done the research. Sometimes it's hard getting the dealer to go along but this dealer seems pretty willing to deal. Good luck!
    edited February 2016
    micoche said:

...Going back to the re-selling price, say that I got this subaru 2.0XT Touring for $30,000 - how much, in today's market, could I expect when re-selling it in 3 years with about 35k miles?

KBB shows 2016 Forester at 59.3% after 36 month, so your ballpark number would be around $22K. Doesn't mean you'll get it from a dealer if you trade it in, though. I got almost 62% trade-in for my 2012 Forester 2.5x last December after full 4 years in service.

You can also "appraise" a used 2013 Forester XT w/35K miles here on Edmunds.
    Our True Cost to Own tool shows about an $11,000 depreciation over three years.
    This would be equal to trade to private party :) In general, I think, it's about $4K difference between dealer trade-in and private party sale.
    thanks @ursus and @stever for following up on the re-selling value - really useful info.

i might spare a few hours this weekend (end of month) to go and play "negotiation" with the salesmen at Subaru :-)

I'll let you know how it goes
  • d3vnulld3vnull Member Posts: 5
    i'm new and I'm in a process of looking into getting a '16 2.5i limited nav/eyesight, etc. location NJ. My question is does anyone know a good dealer in NJ that will give me the best deal?

TIA
    dev
    You can use Dealer Ratings and Reviews to find dealers with good ratings. But I think I'd just send out a half dozen or more quote requests.
  • d3vnulld3vnull Member Posts: 5
    will do thanks Stever
    edited April 2016
    Let us know how it goes - Subaru continues to blow the doors off so beating TMV by much may be harder than dealing on, say, a CR-V.

My sister over in rural NW Virginia traded her '05 Forester for a leftover '15 Crosstrek a few months ago and I think she paid too much. But she didn't want to shop dealers or travel far.

And she loves her Subie. Good luck!
  • kishkkishk Member Posts: 3
    Hi,
    I am in the market for a 2016 Subaru Forester 2.5i Limited AWD with Navigation+HK Audio+Eyesight. Location is NewEngland/NorthEast.

Using Edmunds TMV for my zip code Invoice is showing 29,952; MSRP 32,290; TMV 30,100 (this is after adding a few minor options like all weather mats, splash guard, side molding kit; and including destination fee). If I take out minor options, TMV is 300 less. what do you think is the best price that I can negotiate. Is it possible to go 1k below invoice in late April or late May ? Any dealer recommendations in NH/MA/VT/CT to get best price would be appreciated.

Obviously I requested quotes - but equipping myself with some info before going there personally.

thanks.
    Invoice and TMV are pretty close and since TMV is an average, there's hope. But you're in prime Subaru territory.

Fitzmall down in MD used to be the most aggressive but they don't show prices any more. It may be worth it to get a quote from them to compare to your regional dealers even though you won't be buying from them.

No idea if sales fall off during mud season up your way. Best bet may just be the end of the month or maybe hope for Memorial Day sales, but that's six weeks off.

I'd watch inventory too since you have a specific trim and options in mind. Maybe Subaru has finally caught up? Hopefully the recent earthquakes in Japan won't affect production as it has Toyota and Honda.

While waiting for other New England dealer recommendations, you can check out Dealer Ratings too.
    Subaru is offering 0% on Forester until May 2. Not sure the term, though - "Length of contract is limited".
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,760
    ursus said:

Subaru is offering 0% on Forester until May 2. Not sure the term, though - "Length of contract is limited".

Up to 36 months.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• tots1922tots1922 Member Posts: 2
    I'm looking to buy a 2016 2.5i Limited. MSRP 30,646. Dealer (Buffalo area) sent quote of 29,267. Negotiating has just begun! What would be a fair price to pay?
    edited May 2016
    TMV is coming in at $28,275. Since that's the average paid in Buffalo, that would be a "fair" price. But it's nice when you beat the average.

Your quote seems high but my MSRP was $1,000 less than yours. Maybe yours has some options I didn't include when using the Build and Price tool.

For a popular model like Subaru in snow country, I think I'd also get some numbers using our Price Promise or one of the other services, like Costco. You might save some hassle. (Kiplinger link).
  • tots1922tots1922 Member Posts: 2
    Many thanks. I'll provide an update when my shopping experience concludes.
    A reporter is looking to speak with car shoppers who recently purchased a truck or SUV instead of a coupe or sedan because they were influenced (at least in part) by today's low gas prices. If this sounds like your experience and you're willing to help, please contact pr@edmunds.com by no later than May 24, 2016.
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    A reporter is looking to speak with car shoppers who recently purchased a truck or SUV instead of a coupe or sedan because they were influenced (at least in part) by today's low gas prices. If this sounds like your experience and you're willing to help, please contact pr@edmunds.com by no later than May 24, 2016.