Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

HMF Lease Question - Termination for cause?

cabinjohncabinjohn Member Posts: 2
edited January 2016 in Hyundai
Hi, I leased this car in Dec 2014 in the state of Maine. This year I was transferred for work to NJ. In October I started the paperwork with HFM to get the title transferred to NJ so that I can register the car. (The Maine registration expired while I was in the process of moving). HFM took 1 month to process the initial request. On 11/24 it was received by NJ MVC - it was missing the tax stamp information. NJ sent it back on 12/3, HMF received it 12/16 and sent it back out. NJ received the corrected title on 12/28. The tax info was on the title but it was incorrect - no registration. NJ sent it back to HFM - here on 1/19 - 3 months elapsed and still no correct title or registered car. I am paying $360/mo for a car that I can't register due to gross incompetence. So the question: is there a way to force HFM to take the car back without paying penalties? I mean I can't be legally obligated to keep the car and keep paying for it if I can't register/drive the car due their errors can I?

Thanks for any thoughts/information on this.
Tagged:

Comments

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    My non-lawyer opinion is that you 'd be entitled to "loss of use" damages but I don't see how exactly you could void the entire lease if they eventually get this right. But I'd sure demand free lease payments for however many months you were unable to use the car. So in a sense you'd shorten your lease.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,830
    I agree, there should be some compensation..

But, good luck getting that.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• cabinjohncabinjohn Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the input - very frustrating situation. I will call and speak with them regarding some loss of use compensation - not holding my breath as they have been anything but helpful. I have escalated to the supervisory level and not even had a single call returned. I guess I will just have to suck it up and NEVER do business with them again.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    You might be able to take them to Small Claims. A drive up to Maine might be worth 3 lease payments.