Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Transformed with 4.10 Rubicon Crate Axles - 2012 Jeep Wrangler Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited January 2016 in Jeep
imageTransformed with 4.10 Rubicon Crate Axles - 2012 Jeep Wrangler Long-Term Road Test

Oversized 33-inch tires and standard 3.21-to-1 axles don't mix, so I upgraded my 2012 Jeep Wrangler with 4.10-to-1 Rubicon crate axles from Mopar.

Read the full story here

Comments

• bankerdannybankerdanny Member Posts: 1,021
    Well done Dan. I have been wondering if you had gotten to this upgrade yet. This just underscores the true limitations of the base Wrangler if you have plans to make it capable of serious off-roading. The Dana 44's are a minimum requirement if your goal is to try and tackle something like the Rubicon Trail or the tougher trails in Moab and the best time to get those is when you buy your vehicle.
  • henry4hirehenry4hire Member Posts: 106
    I love it when a plan comes together!
  • jeffksf1jeffksf1 Member Posts: 7
    Any resale value in the old axles? Maybe you recoup some of your cost?
  • desmoliciousdesmolicious Member Posts: 671
    Very cool. In hind sight would you have bought the Rubicon model? I'm loving mine (6speed manual) and have been surprised as to how useful the electronic sway bar disconnect is. I've actually used it more than the lockers! On one trip in AZ I used it multiple times on a single stretch of road, that repeatedly became non-road...
  • actualsizeactualsize Member Posts: 451
    A Rubicon would have been a short cut to get to a certain point. It's a good out-of-the box package. And there's no denying this job represents a commitment. But the original idea was to see if we could get close to a Rubicon level of off-road performance (or beyond) for less money. I'm at a point now where I can sit down and run those numbers.

I added a manual stab bar disconnect for less than $100 several months ago. I can't turn it on and off like you can, but using it is pretty painless and very effective. But I still don't have the Rubicon's 4-to-1 low range T-case. Mine is 2.72-to-1, the ratio that comes in a Sport and a Sahara. I'm not sure that bothers me much. I did quite a lot with the 3.21s in low range, and these lockable 4.10 axles should help a ton. I may change my mind once I get out there, but I doubt it.

Twitter: @Edmunds_Test

jeffksf1 said:

Any resale value in the old axles? Maybe you recoup some of your cost?

I wish. But no one is looking for 3.21s. My only shot is finding someone that bent theirs and just wants to put it back the way it was. The rear axle is at least a Dana 44, but its carrier design still has the unfavorable break point that makes it undesirable for those who would re-gear it.

• darthbimmerdarthbimmer Member Posts: 606
    edited January 2016

I'm at a point now where I can sit down and run those numbers.

So, in terms of the numbers, where are you at on cash-out-of-pocket for having bought a lower trim level and added a lot of parts aftermarket vs. buying a factory equipped model like the 2016 Rubicon or Rubicon Hard Rock? How much sweat equity did you add? How does your rig's capability compare to a stock Rubicon or Hard Rock?

So, in terms of the numbers, where are you at on cash-out-of-pocket for having bought a lower trim level and added a lot of parts aftermarket vs. buying a factory equipped model like the 2016 Rubicon or Rubicon Hard Rock? How much sweat equity did you add? How does your rig's capability compare to a stock Rubicon or Hard Rock?

Stay tuned for our next episode ...

• goaterguygoaterguy Member Posts: 64
    Love hearing about this rig. Still love my 2012 Sport. Customizing the Wrangler is part of the joy of ownership. I could've easily bought a Rubicon instead but I preferred personalizing it.