Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Self-Driving Cars May Redefine Driver's Licenses | Edmunds.com

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited October 2015 in General
Self-Driving Cars May Redefine Driver's Licenses | Edmunds.com

Self-driving cars may turn the traditional approach to driver's licenses on its head, according to University of Michigan researchers

Read the full story here

Comments

• PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    A question that popped into my head...can you get a DUI in a self-driving car.
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,131
    edited October 2015
    I think in many areas, current licensing standards already seem to be made for autonomous cars. Fog a mirror, pay the fee, here ya go.
  • carboy21carboy21 Member Posts: 760
    PF_Flyer said:

A question that popped into my head...can you get a DUI in a self-driving car.

Only if you put alcohol in the fuel tank :)

My question would be can you have sex in the car while driving ? :open_mouth:
    I hear the sound of liability and personal injury lawyers licking their chops B)
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    You can get a DWI sleeping off a bender in the back seat if the keys are in your pocket. You aren't driving but you still are capable of "operating" the motor vehicle. Same deal with an automous car unless they change the law. Right now a licensed driver has to be in position to take over the car in case the software fails.

I don't know how you take over a Google pod that doesn't have a steering wheel.

Why Autonomous Cars WON’T End Drunk Driving (drinkinganddriving.org)
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    I would think you could get a DUI in a self-driving car, since you are required to be in control of your vehicle at all times--that is, be ready to jump if something fails. Modern jetliners pretty much fly themselves, but those pilots usually aren't too drunk.

I was hoping that self-driving cars would allow us to revoke about 20% of the current drivers' licenses being issued, as the people holding them are supremely incompetent, and give them a self-driver's license instead, thereby in effect prohibiting them from ever getting behind the wheel of a regular automobile again.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    More of the doom and gloom for the personal automobile:

"A study published this week by the University of Michigan reports a sharp decline over the past two decades among people under 25 years of age getting their driver’s licenses.

The drop signals high-schoolers and college-age Americans are less interested in driving than previous generations. And the change is spreading to their parents and grandparents, moves that have auto makers scrambling to ramp up investments in alternative mobility services such car-hailing services."

Driving Losing Its Allure for More Americans (WSJ - may be a registration link)
    I know a lot of people are less interested in driving. And it SHOWS in the way that they drive ;)

Remember, the Segway was going to make the automobile obsolete too. It sure drove all those cars off of the self-guided tours of DC...heh
    PF_Flyer said:

I know a lot of people are less interested in driving. And it SHOWS in the way that they drive ;)

Remember, the Segway was going to make the automobile obsolete too. It sure drove all those cars off of the self-guided tours of DC...heh

Yeah, but the Segways's downfall wasn't technology...it was a bad business model because it failed to realize that it made your customers look like dorks.

I welcome autonomous cars (not for me, though), as it might take bad drivers out of self-directed cars--a skill they obviously don't have.
    I've always thought there ought to be "grades" of driver's licenses, although it would be a bureaucratic nightmare. Demonstrated and tested skills cold be rewarded with a little leeway here and there. What's "reckless" for a C license might be OK for someone with an A. I envision that the vast majority of us would fall into my B category, although the C's seem to be growing :)

And if you don't even make to a C, well, there's always this

Speaking of Segways, my favorite Segway cartoon still hangs above my desk

Why do people with fully autonomous cars ( a future event) even need drivers licenses?
    Rhetorical alert ON

Why do people need to know how to make a fire without their cell phone?? ;)