Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Taurus/Sable Maintenance & Repair

Comments

• e_net_ridere_net_rider Member Posts: 1,380
    I would think not a problem if exact same tranny but that is what can be complicated in checking. Even though it might be a AX4 N or S, there are internal changes sometimes depending upon the exact vehicle, engine, it is used for. I don't know if there are any external indications, maybe the tag bolted on it. These transmissions varying by year, even build date go through quite a few changes. Have been used in Windstars and Lincolns (FWD).
    Not enough info. Where is it loose at?
  • taurus55taurus55 Member Posts: 1
    My in-laws have a 2000 Taurus Wagon with the 3.0, and apparently the crankshaft position sensor is bad in it. It runs, just a little hesitant and sluggish at startup, and revs high until warmed up.

If the sensor isn't replaced, will it kill the engine? Can it run the way it is for now?

Thanks
  • badgerfanbadgerfan Member Posts: 1,565
    Every 2000 Taurus has a 3.0, but there are two 3.0 V-6's, the Duratech 24V DOHC and the pushrod Vulcan, not that this makes a difference in my answer.

How do you know there is a bad crankshaft position sensor? Could be a number of things. THe DPFE sensor is an extended warranty item, at least on Duratech versions as the 2000 Taurus with Duratech is what I have.

All engines will be a little sluggish at startup until warmed up. Additionally all Tauri engines will rev at higher rpm-about 1000-1200 until warmed up to speed the warmup cycle and improve driveability when the engine is cold.

I would get a diagnosis done before just swapping parts. There may be nothing wrong at all, unless it behaves different than in the past.
    The DPFE controls the EGR if I remember correctly. I think that emission related parts are affected by federal law for like 5 year/ 50K.
    Dealer probably just as soon deny connection. Talked to a Ford manager the other day. They are in money saving mode as some recent TSB's say to do nothing unless the customer complaint is specifically related. And how many customers find out about the TSB?
  • nomoreford2nomoreford2 Member Posts: 50
    I was told by dealer that is is covered up to 75K. I bought part for $27 from them and did it myself. Took 10 mins, although it is a tight squeeze to get behind the top of plastic plenum.
  • lovemytauruslovemytaurus Member Posts: 10
    Hey Guys,
    I ran my OBD II scan today and it came up with erorr code
    155 - O2 Sensor Heater Circuit Malfunction (Bank 2 Sensor 1)
    Does anyone know what this means?
    Thanks, Dave
  • paula19ilpaula19il Member Posts: 1
    Go to www.carreview.com. I was on there the other night and found that they have over 300 reviews on the Taurus. I always thought that Fords were dependable because my parents had 2 or 3 Crown Victorias that lasted well over 150,000 miles without any problems, but now Im learning better. I have a 2003 Taurus that has 51000 miles on it. The emergency brake went on and continues to be on when I do not use it. Go to carreview.com and read all the reviews on the car. Average rating is 3.1 out of 5 and many people report the car as being cheaply made and that the transmission is a major problem. Look carefully at the years of the cars when you read them though. GOOD LUCK!!!! :sick:
    This is a 97 wagon Vulcan.
    Does anyone know if this tranny should achieve TCC lock when it is in D range instead of OD?
    What I meant by extended warranty on the DPFE sensor was that Ford sent a letter out to all affected owners that the DPFE sensor warranty was being extended to 80K miles due to too many failing prematurely. I do not know whether it was covered originally to 50K with emmissions parts.
    And I'm not sure on exact EPA requirements for such components. Could be wrong, but I'm thinking original requirements for such was 100K.
    Most were never aware and got billed anyway.

Not automotive, but opinion.
    There are many at different levels whose opinion would be that Katrina was a God send. Good for the economy because of the billions of dollars pumped into the economy. I would call it waste.
    And much the same with automotive and planned obsolescence. Not that they couldn't economically make every vehicle last 500K, they don't want to.
  • vppcvppc Member Posts: 58
    Hi, guys!

I have a 2001 SES almost 104,000 miles. Great car! Tonight, however, my dome light wouldn't shut off when I shut the door, so it took a few shuts for it to shut off. Also, when I got out of the car while car was running and get back in, it would stay on until I got moving (which was normal). When I got off work tonight, it started working just fine!

So, what could it be and what can fix it in the future?

THANKS!
    - Alex
  • bcollins1bcollins1 Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone replaced the brakes on an 03 taurus? If so were there any issues that demanded special tools, any hints and tips would be appreciated. I just did my sons cavelier, and it took 10 minutes per side, pads and rotors. Hoping the taurus is the same...
  • jbianchinijbianchini Member Posts: 1
    Hello,
    I have a 2002 Taurus with 76k that is all of a sudden acting up.

First, the heat/air/ac will not work at all in any position of the vent or fan speed. This just started to happen two days ago and has not worked since.

Secondly, the car will roll backwards in the middle of the night in my driveway down the minor hill of said driveway.

Third, the belt is very squeaky and will not stop squeaking at any speed, and it's pissing me off.

Fourth, when I go over any bumps my front end sounds realllly loose and it seems like things are going to fall off.

Last, the ABS seems to go off at any minor bump in the road when I am using the brakes. I have never noticed this until now.

My 99 Jeep Cherokee with 150k on the clock has not had one thing wrong with it, and this Taurus I've babied and taken care of very well and it seems like within the past three days it's crapping itself. I bought both the Cherokee and Taurus new (Yes, I drive a ton!) and have changed fluids at the recomended frequency. Any help!!??

Thanks
  • dap320dap320 Member Posts: 1
    I have the same exact problem right now, what did you do to correct the problem? Dave
  • texxxtexxx Member Posts: 1
    I have had fuel injectors replaced four times in two years replaced, fuel pump replaced, transmission replaced, gaskets galore, valves and sensors, etc. Recently, the check engine light came on and I took it to the dealership. They had to replace a connecting hose(AB Hose) and a couple of gaskets include intake manifold. Get the car back and now, the car idles worse than it did even with the cracked hose. It idles fine(in drive) with the heating/defrost system off. When the system is turned on, the RPM's drop for a couple of seconds, then it revs up for a couple of seconds and goes back to idling normal. Then the whole process happens again a minute later. Something kicks on under the hood, the RPM's drop and then the rev up. If I turn the heat off, it idles fine. Any ideas would help, I would like to know what Im getting into. I have spent over a 1k in repairs this past month and am looking for any help.
    Hi, guys!

Friend of mine has a 2002 Sable LS Premium w/24V. When we test drove it before she bought it, it was GREAT! Now, it is stalling at lower speeds and idling is rough and jerky according to her. The car fires right back up.

There is NO check engine light on.

Car has 58,000 miles, any ideas?

Ford is TAKING CARE AT NO COST! They even have multiple technicians on it.

Thanks!
    - Alex
  • ohio7ohio7 Member Posts: 67
    Took my 2000 Taurus SEL in last August with 30,000 miles on and the dealer replaced the DPFE sensor free. The service manager grumbled about it cause the extension was up by a month but I put on the pressure and stood firm about that and mentioned something about it being no wonder that Ford is near collapse. He acquiesced and I got it done free.
    Yours might be subject to the same extended warranty on the DPFE sensor as we who have the 2000's with Duratech. The symptoms sound the same as I was told by Ford Customer Service when I inquired about what the symptoms of a bad DPFE sensor are.
  • fest1fest1 Member Posts: 1
    I had the same problem and pulled the door apart to find the courtesy light switch. It's in the door latch mechanism and you don't need to pull the door apart to get to it, just shoot some wd40 in the exposed opening for all the door latches and you should be fine. worked for me and it's been almost a year now with no problems.
  • nasi55nasi55 Member Posts: 1
    My son's 95 Taurus wouldn't turn off either. The ignition cable is broken. How do I remove the broken one and replace it?
  • dcollierdcollier Member Posts: 1
    Your problem exactly mirrors my 2000 Sable. Any luck resolving this issue? Haven't found any replys.
  • hulettwyohulettwyo Member Posts: 1
    I have an 02 Taurus SES FlexFuel with the engine light on. I plugged an OBD scanner into it and got code p460. My question is what does it take to replace the Fuel Level Sensor Circuit? I figured it was something like that because the fuel gauge has not been working properly for about a month now. The check engine light just came on four days ago. Can I put off fixing this as long as I keep it gassed up since I can't tell how much is in it or will it cause further damage?

Any help or advice would be appreciated.
  • spammers2hellspammers2hell Member Posts: 7
    >Fourth, when I go over any bumps my front end
    >sounds realllly loose and it seems like things are
    >going to fall off.

May be the sway bar links. See earlier threads on this.
  • vtown707vtown707 Member Posts: 3
    My 97 taurus GL experiences various problems.

First, my car occasionally experiences rough idle at a full stop after a long drive on the freeway or even on city streets.

Secondly, after driving around for awhile letting the motor heat up to regular op temp and then coming to a full stop, then trying to accelerate at a green light, my car tends to misfire as if i am loosing power. My plugs are fresh i just changed them. What can cause this mysterious misfire/rough idle situation? can the two be related problems?

Thirdly, my speedo just went out. What can cause my speedometer to stop working and ow can I fix the problem?

And lastly my motor has a hard time heating to reg op temperature. could it mean a faulty thermostat?

Any help would be greatly appreciated
  • jackdaniels1jackdaniels1 Member Posts: 2
    all my windows just decided not to work over this weekened.i can roll my drivers side window down but i cant roll it up and the other three wont go up or down does anyone know what is causing this
  • jackdaniels1jackdaniels1 Member Posts: 2
    ur speedometer cable has broken aand there easy to fix yes u can do it urself.and yes u might have a faulty thermostat
  • nomoreford2nomoreford2 Member Posts: 50
    I have 2000 taurus with 24V engine and it takes 2-4 tries to start it if left sitting for a couple of hours. once warmed up if it has not sat for more than an hour it will start fine, but if left more more than that it just turns and will not fire until the 2nd or 3d tries in which it starts fine. Will start fine in morning if left over night but not 8hrs after work, which has me clueless.
    Car accelerates perfectly fine with no hesitiation.

Any ideas on what is causing this, as far as fuel pump going bad, fuel injector problems, 02 sensors???

I ahaave 150K miles and have replaced all 6 coils, spark plugs, fuel pressure regulator a year ago.
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,131
    My mom has an 00 Taurus, she bought it new and it has maybe 35-40K on it now. She did get it cheap, as some kind of fleet deal with her employer, which I guess is good as resale is low and I've got her to accept that. It has the old school V6 (I am not sure which year the 24V debuted, but hers doesn't have it). It has been pretty perfect so far, but now has developed an odd issue. The car sounds like there is water up in the dashboard. When you go around corners or are on an uneven road, you can hear a sloshing sound. She took it to the small town garage she has it maintained at, and they had no clue. Could this be in the heater core or something? The car has never been dunked in a lake or anything, this just randomly started.
    Purely conjecture here, but possibly a plugged A-C evaporator condensate drain line, so you are getting the condensed moisture building up rather than draining on the ground? Haven't had this with mine, but there might be a rubber tube hanging somewhere down below the firewall that you can blow out with compressed air.
  • richard39richard39 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 1999 Mercury sable and my dome and map lights will not go out, I to removed the bulbs. The door ajar light goes out when the doors are shut. I did lube the door latches but it did not help. I pulled the relay out and it checked out just fine. It activated when I pluged it back in, which is normal for I had the door open. I can only think that it is in the timer circuit but I do not know for sure. Also sometimes the theft light will blink fast for about 3 minutes of car operation and than go out, like it is supposed to. Hope that someone can help. Thanks.
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,131
    Thanks, I'll give that to her to suggest to the shop the next time she has it serviced. I guess that makes sense. The noise is certainly coming from behind the dash, I've never heard or seen anything like it in another car.
  • richard39richard39 Member Posts: 2
    Both the map and dome lights will not go out with the doors closed. I lubricated the door latches and the door ajar light goes out when closing all doors. So now I know that it is not a door switch> I took the relay out and it benched checked ok. It activated when I plugged it back in because I had the door open. Also sometimes the theft light will blink fast for about 3 minutes of car operation and than go out, like it is supposed to. Where do I go from here? Hope that someone can help. Thanks.
  • lovemytauruslovemytaurus Member Posts: 10
    I was changing my oil the other day when my neighbor came over. He asked if I was going to grease/lubricate the fitings while i was under there. Is there such a thing, or are they incased.
    Thanks.
    thanks for the input jackdaniels1.. for some odd reason, i remember my radio goin out the same minute my speedo went out because my radio and amp was drawing too much current. i decided first things first lets check the fuse..when i replaced the fuse that's assign to the car's radio, not only did my radio started workin again but so did my speedometer..so i guess the fuse might share the same circut as with both the radio and the car's speedometer..?? but anyhow that problem is fixed. thermostat, i am convinced that this could be the problem because it's a common thing that goes bad especially for me having the car since brand new and putting 100 some odd thousand miles on the car.

so i guess the only other thing i need to figure out now is my hesitation/miss fire problem..like i said, if im at a full stop after driving for awhile and give the car heavy gas initially after the full stop, the car seems to lagg in the beginning..it lasts for only the first few seconds or so but funny thing is if i back off the throttle a little bit then gradually give the car more throttle again, the car avoids its self from hesitating..maybe someone might know what may be causing this problem?
    i'd probably try checkin a fuse or a relay that might control the windows and maybe even the the "lock" switch that disables passengers from rollin down their windows..also the connections to all the switches beneath the driver's door panel. I remember when i replaced my component speakers, i removed the harness that links to all the window/door lock switches on the driver's side to remove the door panel and forgot to plug the darn thing back..that unplugged connection caused me from not being to roll up/down my windows at that time.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    your neighbor must be 80 years old, right? :P

Very few cars have any kind of greaseable fittings...a few cars and trucks might have greaseable u-joints. Sometimes replacement suspension parts have greaseable fittings built it.
  • pferrispferris Member Posts: 1
    I just inherited a 1993 V6 3.0 Taurus from my neighbor. The major problem with it is that while it starts normally with the key, it will NOT TURN OFF with the key! I can even physically REMOVE the keys from the switch. In order to turn the car off, I have to pop the hood, pull the battery cable from the battery, then pull the 3 wire (I believe it's 3...) plug on the alternator. The engine dies immediately. I then reconnect the alternator plug. Then, when I'm ready to start the car again, I connect the battery cable.

The neighbor replaced the ignition switch itself in an effort to fix thi, with a Brand X from the parts store. He later determined that there is "...something wrong with the metal rod and a plastic piece, bit the switch itself is ok...". This means nothing to me (yet). Does it mean anything to you?!

My question is, what's the fix?! Is the part likely replaceable, or would it be easier just to replace the steering column (not the airbag/steering wheel - I presume it's detachable from the column?).

Any replies can be sent to pferris AT cox DOT net. All hints & tips are much appreciated!!!

Thanks all!

--Pete
    Hi, guys!

I have a 2001 SES and I just wanted to let you all know that if you are looking for a GREAT set of tires for this car, go for the Bridgestone Turanza LS-T. They are smooth, reasonably quiet, have AWESOME wet traction and wet braking, have nice straight-line stability, and handle well. They have an 80,000 mile rating. Even though they are a T-rated tire, I find they handle as well as previous H-rated performance tires.

If you go to Firestone during their "BUY 3, GET THE 4TH FREE" sale, you can get them for $500 with tax, lifetime balancing, lifetime rotation, lifetime repairs, and free tire replacement program.

The tires are also rated 2nd in their class (Standard Touring All-Season) according to Tirerack.com, only being below the BF Goodrich Traction T/A T.

Since I had lifetime alignment already at Firestone, these were a GREAT deal and I got them for $490 OTD and a FREE XM Satellite Radio Tuner for the car ($79 value!).

Let the tires break in 1000 miles and really feel them shine. They are much better than the Wal-Mart tires.

- Alex

P.S. If any of you experience a fuel cap light followed by a check engine light pertaining to fuel, use BP/Amoco 89 gas, and you will not have that problem - and cleaner burn.

P.P.S. My car has almost 109,000 miles and runs like new!
  • timothyftimothyf Member Posts: 40
    Hi, I have a 1996 LX with 114K in average shape. I backed into a light pole (don't ask how) and messed up the bumper and rear quarter panel. The body repair is roughly $1K but isn't really needed to keep driving the car. Prior to the damage occurring I was hoping to keep the car till it becomes unreliable. Anyone have any thoughts as to if it makes sense to get the body work done? Thanks
  • larrysitzlarrysitz Member Posts: 1
    We recently inherited a 1990 Taurus with 28,000 miles on it and a plain radio(no cd, no cassette). We would like to remove the radio an replace it with a newer one. How do you remove the radio? It has 2 trays and an ashtray under the radio. Any help would be welcome.

Thanks.

Larry
  • lickskilletlickskillet Member Posts: 1
    For the life of me I can not figure out how to make a new post subject of my own. SO, I am hijacking this thread. How can I tell if my new 1998 Mercury Sable has the vulcan or the duratec motor?

Thanks
  • txftball28txftball28 Member Posts: 2
    alright, my 96 Ford Taurus G keeps on breaking down... kinda

After I switch from Drive to overdrive or vica versa, after awhile, the car will basically die with the service engine soon light as well as the oil, brakes, and gas light coming up. My car feels like it is breaking slowly and my steering wheel becomes locked

what causes this?

My oil temp was in the middle and i had around half a tank of gas left
  • reesespiecesreesespieces Member Posts: 1
    there should be a hole in all four corners of the radio panel. you can buy a tool that fits those holes that release the radio panel. but if you are coordinated enough you can get four copper wires and poke in the holes to release the panel.
    Well usually the Duratech's will have something that says that on the valve cover "24V DOHC Duratech" or something of that nature. Also, at least on the Tauri Duratechs, there was an emblem right behind the front wheel well "24V DOHC". Not sure if they did the same on Sable.
  • brownikabrownika Member Posts: 1
    I have an 03 Taurus that the air does not turn on in any position. Sometimes, it does work. Right now everytime that it doesn't work, I open the hood up and shut it hard, and the air comes on. Do not know what is causing the problem though.
  • shill2shill2 Member Posts: 1
    I have the same problem on the same 2002 SEL and would appreciate ant knowledge on the problem.

Steve
  • observer22observer22 Member Posts: 41
    Look in the WHITE pages of your telephone directory under the words "Latin" or "Latinos" for a body shop using those oen of those words in the sop's name. If none are listed, look for an auto repair shop with those words in their name and ask them for a body shop recommendation. Lastly, look in yellow pages of phonebook for an auto repair shop with a Spanish name and ask them.
    National chain body shop wanted $1800 to fix my car's front end damage, Latino's Body Shop (yes, that is its name) did it for $850.
    Rear-ended Taurus had estimated $2000 in damage, same shop charged $400 plus painted front bumper for an extra $150!
  • silentwillsilentwill Member Posts: 2
    I recently purchased a 2000 Mercury Sable LS Premium,on floor shift, which I like very much; but I cannot find out which of the two transmissions Ford listed is installed - the "AX4N" or "AX4S".

The engine is a 3.0L V6 Duratec DOHC 24 V and it does have a lot of getup and go. I thought the VIN would specify but it does not. The information sheet just says "Automatic 4 speed transmission"

I have been told the AX4N is a better transmissioin, but do not really know.

I will appreciate your assistance.

Silentwill