Photo Radar

1323334353638»

Comments

  • andres3andres3 Southern CAMember Posts: 12,658
    berri said:

    The truth of the matter unfortunately is that the costs of firing and then litigating often make it less expensive to get an agreement with the individual to just dump the person and let it go without prosecution.

    Perhaps they should be labeled enemy combatants forgoing the lengthy and pricey prosecution.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    Hahaha !
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 53,960
    Dump them with no financial penalty, of course - they'll just be re-hired in the public sector elsewhere, and retire younger than the average person with much more income - on someone else's dime.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,457
    "[D]driverless cars are known to behave more cautiously than their human operators. And by virtue of their, well, virtues, autonomous vehicles won't know how to speed, run red lights, park illegally or make other traffic violations that would result in a ticket. And that could drive some city budgets into a deep hole."

    How driverless cars could kill the speeding ticket — and rob your city (washingtonpost.com)
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 53,960
    Rob? But it's about safety, just ask the appointed authorities.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Sonoma, CaliforniaMember Posts: 64,482
    Awww.....my heart bleeds for those cities. I'm sure a 1/4 percent rise in sales tax would cost me a lot less than being held up at camera-point for $500 for a red light ticket.
  • andres3andres3 Southern CAMember Posts: 12,658
    edited January 2016
    stever said:

    "[D]driverless cars are known to behave more cautiously than their human operators. And by virtue of their, well, virtues, autonomous vehicles won't know how to speed, run red lights, park illegally or make other traffic violations that would result in a ticket. And that could drive some city budgets into a deep hole."

    How driverless cars could kill the speeding ticket — and rob your city (washingtonpost.com)

    You bring up another good point; will the owner be liable when the driver-less car inevitably gets a video/camera type ticket? Those systems are notoriously bad, so I'm sure the false accusations will fall upon driver-less cars just as they have upon innocent drivers.

    I think they should mail those types of tickets to Google.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,457
    Since autonomous cars will be infallible, the problem will obviously be a malfunctioning camera.

    ;)
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Sonoma, CaliforniaMember Posts: 64,482
    I rather doubt we'll see that level of infallibility for another ten years, at least.
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 53,960
    edited January 2016
    Redflex camera corruption case results in a conviction - I will wager a lot of money this kind of thing is present in dozens of cities with speed and red light cameras, if not the vast majority.

    It's about safety, lol. Nice try, authorities.
  • andres3andres3 Southern CAMember Posts: 12,658
    fintail said:

    Redflex camera corruption case results in a conviction - I will wager a lot of money this kind of thing is present in dozens of cities with speed and red light cameras, if not the vast majority.

    It's about safety, lol. Nice try, authorities.

    Where there is smoke there is fire! All this from a city that concealed a murder video perpetrated by a cop with 16 shots fired for over a year! If they do things like fight the release of a public record video like that, what else are they up to. Red light camera scams is one thing for sure.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 53,960
    Chicago is definitely tops for corruption, and also an embracer of cameras. Coincidence?

    It's a lot more profitable than actually doing proper work to optimize traffic controls and set realistic speed limits. These people have to be freaked out about the idea of autonomous cars - who will fund their meal ticket?

    I mean, it's all safety.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,457
    edited August 2016
    "A Tennessee lawmaker says getting a traffic camera ticket isn't a problem - he just burns them.

    Holt is a longtime critic of traffic camera tickets and has previously called for banning them. In this year's legislative session, he sponsored a bill that requires citations to include the following statement: "Nonpayment of this (citation) cannot adversely affect your credit score or report, driver's license, and/or automobile insurance rates."

    The bill passed both chambers and took effect on April 27." (AP)



  • andres3andres3 Southern CAMember Posts: 12,658
    fintail said:

    Chicago is definitely tops for corruption, and also an embracer of cameras. Coincidence?

    It's a lot more profitable than actually doing proper work to optimize traffic controls and set realistic speed limits. These people have to be freaked out about the idea of autonomous cars - who will fund their meal ticket?

    I mean, it's all safety.

    I bet the same places that tout the so-called greatness of traffic cams sending tickets out are the first types of groups to also pass legislation making it nearly impossible to obtain police camera (be it dash or body cam) footage/records.

    These videos should absolutely be public record without any hassle to obtain them.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 53,960
    And the same ones who support the idiotic idea that it shouldn't be legal to record the actions of the police.

    Just another reason to run a dashcam in a personal car.
    andres3 said:



    I bet the same places that tout the so-called greatness of traffic cams sending tickets out are the first types of groups to also pass legislation making it nearly impossible to obtain police camera (be it dash or body cam) footage/records.

    These videos should absolutely be public record without any hassle to obtain them.

Sign In or Register to comment.