Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

What I've Learned to Like About MyFord Touch - 2015 Ford Mustang GT Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited January 2016 in Ford
imageWhat I've Learned to Like About MyFord Touch - 2015 Ford Mustang GT Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.com finds a few things to appreciate about the outgoing MFT system in its long-term 2015 Ford Mustang GT.

Read the full story here

Comments

• kirkhilles1kirkhilles1 Member Posts: 863
    So... boots quickly and real buttons? I don't think those are reasons to love a particular system.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Fast booting of any device is a plus. My Garmin often lags and I'm not just going to sit in my driveway while it loads the maps. And I'm not even talking about finding the satellites.

Never wanted a turbo that required me to idle in my driveway for two minutes before shutting down either. :)
  • daryleasondaryleason Member Posts: 501

So... boots quickly and real buttons? I don't think those are reasons to love a particular system.

I disagree, Kirkhilles1. If you're used to something taking forever, then it's replacement booting quickly can be something you appreciate or love. As for the buttons, it's familiar, so I get that.

I have some version of Sync in my 2013 F-150. Up until late, I've had few complaints about it. The only real complaint that I've had with the system, as a whole, was the steering wheel controls. The > & < buttons only jump to the next preset. I thought it'd have been better if that was a scan left or right button to find new stations for when you're driving in a new area. Now, lately, I've got a new gripe about the system. The buttons on the steering wheel aren't working right and the headunit has been sort of wonky on the display. Now, in addition to that, the bluetooth isn't automatically syncing with my iPhone 6+ anymore. I thought at first it might be my phone, but I've replicated the issue with my wife's iPhone 6+. First world problems...the struggle is real. Luckily, I still have 10 grand in mileage left on the extended warranty. I just need to get it in to get it fixed.
  • saxdoggsaxdogg Member Posts: 38
    Those a/c controls are a disaster.
  • daryleasondaryleason Member Posts: 501
    @saxdogg : The Engine Start/Stop button looks sort of play-school-ish to me, too.
  • bankerdannybankerdanny Member Posts: 1,021

He didn't say he loved it, he said he appreciated it.
  • dm7279dm7279 Member Posts: 63
    saxdogg said:

Agree, give me knobs at least for temperature and fan.
  • boffboff Member Posts: 91
    edited January 2016
    I have MFT in my 2015 Mustang, and for the most part I've really enjoyed the system. It looks great, first of all, and I love that I can put custom wallpapers on it. The home screen with the 4 quadrants is very convenient. The phone integration is fantastic. The nav works well, although entering addresses using the screen is cumbersome. As a music player, it integrates well with either a USB memory stick, iPod, or my phone through Bluetooth. A recent update enabled Siri to be accessed on my iPhone by holding down the voice command button on the steering wheel for 3 seconds. The major benefit of this feature is that I can send texts through voice commands. That is pure gold, let me tell you. Nits? My system does not always display the album art when using the USB stick, a glitch who's cause I have been trying to figure out since I got the car. Any touchscreen will be a bear to operate while on the move, and the relatively slow responses of the screen to touch inputs exacerbates this problem. Many of the on screen buttons are small, and thus impossible to hit accurately when driving along bumpy roads. The biggest demerit is browsing my music collection, which requires stab after stab at the screen. With 300 albums loaded up, I would like to have a quicker way to scroll through them. I'm spoiled by swipe gestures on iDevices in that respect. Sync3 should deal with most if not all of these complaints, although I don't know how it handles scrolling through music collections. Unfortunately Sync3 is a step backwards aesthetically, and I can't have my Darth Vader/Dark Side of the Moon wallpaper on it.
  • 5vzfe5vzfe Member Posts: 161
    Maybe I'm in the minority here, but I didn't really car about any infotainment system I've used in cars (MFT, Entune, Mazda). I just don't see the point, as my phone and my Garmin unit accomplish basically every task these built in systems do, but at a fraction of the cost. No, they can't run other vehicle functions - and I definitely don't want them to. That MyFord Touch malfunction he mentioned earlier would drive me absolutely crazy, because you can't really service that, just reboot and pray. Some of those systems can rearrange the tach and speedo, what if that display failed too? I prefer physical buttons, knobs and dials because of the physical feedback - and I haven't been lucky to drive one, but I would actually like Porsche's and in fact the older Honda/Acura button explosion approach. No, not super clean, but you don't have to dig through dozens of menus to accomplish a simple task.
    I don't care that my old Toyota can't look things up on Yelp! or purchase movie tickets for me or rearrange the cabin colors or whatever. Yeah some features built into infotainment systems are actually useful and cool, but the other junk that gets bundled in just complicates them and makes them more cumbersome.
  • mtnbiker8mtnbiker8 Member Posts: 39
    saxdogg said:

I find the a/c controls are perfect. Not sure what more you'd want.