Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Rear Entertainment System Instead of Tablets - 2016 Honda Pilot Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited January 2016 in Honda
imageRear Entertainment System Instead of Tablets - 2016 Honda Pilot Long-Term Road Test

Why bother getting a rear-entertainment system in a vehicle when you have modern smartphones and tablet computers? We test out the RES in a 2016 Honda Pilot to find out.

Read the full story here

Comments

• jlaszlojlaszlo Member Posts: 60
    My kids want both rear DVD and their tablets. A long way from the comic books and looking out the window that entertained me in the 70s/80s.
  • don_quixotedon_quixote Member Posts: 5
    You are falling to the Dark Side.
  • kirkhilles1kirkhilles1 Member Posts: 863
    Its amazing. Despite smartphones and iPads and tablets, our kids use the DVD player in our Pilot all the freaking time. Its great to have a stack of DVDs to keep them from fighting and entertained.
  • gelly4969gelly4969 Member Posts: 2
    I had read either a comment or review from another source that indicated once the Disc was placed in the slot from the front seat, that the 'play' button had to be pressed from the backseat remote to start the movie, such that the movie did not auto start once the disc was inserted. This would be difficult as a toddler would not be able to press the button like an older child could. Additionally, it was stated that the Pilot had to be in 'park' and not moving to start playing a movie, as if it was a safety/non-distraction feature. This would indicate that the front seat passenger could not simply change out the Disc from the front seat to watch another movie while the Pilot was cruising down the highway. Having to pull over to the side of the rode, put the Pilot in 'park', just to start a movie does not seem very intuitive. Are any of the statements accurate? Any feedback is welcome.
  • bromansbromans Member Posts: 17
    @gelly4969 The DVD will automatically play when you insert it. But, just like a regular home DVD player, it's likely going to start with the DVD's menu screen, and in that case you're going to have to use the remote to select "play movie" or whatever you'd need to pick on that particular DVD. As for whether the Pilot needs to be in park, I'm not sure. I started the movie as I was parked and ready to depart for the trip, and didn't try to swap discs while driving. --Brent
  • kirkhilles1kirkhilles1 Member Posts: 863
    I don't know if its different from our prev gen (2013) Pilot, but the movie starts nearly everytime you put in DVD and it alerts you when you are at the menu and can press a button from the front. No restrictions on when you add a movie - if that is the case, that would be a deal breaker as they want to swap discs a number of times during trips