Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volume Control, Briefly Possessed - 2016 Honda Pilot Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited January 2016 in Honda
imageVolume Control, Briefly Possessed - 2016 Honda Pilot Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.com's long-term 2016 Honda Pilot doesn't have a volume dial, which is a source of constant frustration for the staff.

Read the full story here

Comments

• djd352djd352 Member Posts: 31
    Steering wheel buttons? I feel like an owner would get into the habit of using the steering wheel buttons rather than the touch screen to adjust the volume, skip through presets etc. Maybe this is why Honda did away with the actual knob to begin with? That being said, I too would prefer a physical volume knob on the head unit.
  • allthingshondaallthingshonda Member Posts: 878
    First, I agree that knobs for volume functions will always be better than touch sensitive screens and I also prefer them. But like djd352 said, most owners are going to use the steering wheel buttons. My Acura has a traditional knob and button heavy layout but I rarely touch the buttons on the dash. I use the steering wheel buttons almost exclusively.
  • john_in_tcjohn_in_tc Member Posts: 28
    Touch screen controls for any function mean I will not buy the car. When it is cold I wear gloves or mittens. Ever try to use a touch screen in cold weather wearing gloves? Even fancy gloves that are supposed to work on touch screens fail when the temperature drops below 30 degrees.
  • darexdarex Member Posts: 187
    Honda is insane! The combination of touch controls (unusable while driving) and high-gloss/glare screens is incredibly stupid -- on paper, let alone in final production! The fact that this system has been deployed across the entirety of their model range!? They are so stupid!!
  • djd352djd352 Member Posts: 31
    I also remembered that this system reminds me a lot of the Renault r-link system, but the r-link system replaces the touch sensitive buttons with actual ones. Though they are on the passenger side because the driver is expected to use the steering wheel controls... http://cdn.24.co.za/files/Cms/General/d/1827/9c5e4ab3b5764f6bbf9b6edde6bbb300.jpg
  • g35bufg35buf Member Posts: 89
    A lot of people waiting for the Gen II Ridgeline aren't thrilled either with a lot of the touch controls..Since the new Ridgeline has essentially the same interior as this gen Pilot. I agree on the use of steering wheel controls but major functions like volume should still have a knob.
  • nsbio1nsbio1 Member Posts: 75
    Enjoy the technology. I am waiting who would be the first to come up with fully virtual touch screen steering wheel. "Do you want to turn fifteen degrees to the left? Yes, No, OK, Cancel, Ignore".
  • wheelmccoywheelmccoy Member Posts: 97
    Another vote for a real volume knob. With all the complaints, I'm surprised Honda has heard us. Oh wait, HQ must have its touch sensitive volume slider set to low.
  • agentorangeagentorange Member Posts: 893
    I find it quite remarkable how the advances in car electronics have been accompanied by so many clear cut fails in the man-machine interface (MMI).
  • jrzgirl13jrzgirl13 Member Posts: 1
    I just had the same thing happen!!! I brought the car in for service and explained what happened, among other things, and the dealer's solution is to replace the whole audio system. I think the car is possessed. A lot of wonky things happen randomly that can not be replicated when you bring it in.