Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Tires Make Car Washes More Expensive - 2015 Dodge Viper GT Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited February 2016 in Dodge
imageTires Make Car Washes More Expensive - 2015 Dodge Viper GT Long-Term Road Test

For the second time, our long-term 2015 Dodge Viper GT is having problems at the car wash. This time it's because of the super wide rear tires.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    daryleasondaryleason Member Posts: 501
    I had a tire fitment issue once, too. Only mine involved trying to help someone out. I had a buddy that needed his vehicle hauled back to his house after breaking down. Going cheap, we rented a U-haul Car Dolly ("Oh yeah, we're hauling a Kia Rio...") and went to the parking lot to pick up his 1992 F-150 4x4. His tires weren't hugely oversized, but they were wider than stock. After taking turns rocking the truck back and forth to get up on the dolly, we discovered that the tread ended up wrapping around the tray that the tires are supposed to sit in. At that point, we were like "We're going to make this work." Our solution was to deflate the front tires to make it "settle" more, then run the tire straps over it and cinch them down really tight. Luckily, we were running backroads anyways (we both live in the country), so no risk to anyone.
  • Options
    cjasiscjasis Member Posts: 274
    You guys crash your cars like nobody's business. You slam seat belt buckles into doors. And now you're trying to run your Viper through a car wash!?!?! The horror :)
  • Options
    schen72schen72 Member Posts: 433
    The only car I bring to the car wash is my POS car that's on its last legs. My other nice cars get hand washed by me in my driveway. I wouldn't trust a car wash.
  • Options
    kirkhilles1kirkhilles1 Member Posts: 863
    Yeah, um, you're trying to put a $103,000 vehicle through an automated car wash? You also didn't think to mention to make sure no water got in like last time?
  • Options
    longtimelurkerlongtimelurker Member Posts: 455
    Look at it this way...if you wash it yourself you aren't sitting on that cold concrete bench, you get some exercise and you avoid the scratches that come with a wash mitt that's been used on a couple thousand other cars.

Will you get your typing fingers all wrinkly and waterlogged? Well, yeah...
  • Options
    bankerdannybankerdanny Member Posts: 1,021
    Or you would just wash it yourself like you should anyway.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited February 2016
    Next time just get a silver one. Never need to wash those.
  • Options
    5vzfe5vzfe Member Posts: 161
    If I'm dropping 100K on a car that would almost certainly be a weekend vehicle, my butler would be handling the washing and hand drying while I lounge by the pool getting a massage and a tan or whatever rich people do while their cars are getting cleaned.
  • Options
    tlangnesstlangness Member Posts: 123
    All easier said than done. Especially when you don't have an outdoor hose or a driveway at home.
  • Options
    agentorangeagentorange Member Posts: 893
    Nice first world problem to have.
  • Options
    wheelmccoywheelmccoy Member Posts: 97
    Tough crowd! I read these long term blogs to see what issues owners would encounter. Pampering a car wouldn't reveal much. And here, we learn Dodge needs a "car wash" mode where the Viper can close its nostrils.
  • Options
    longtimelurkerlongtimelurker Member Posts: 455
    tlangness said:

All easier said than done. Especially when you don't have an outdoor hose or a driveway at home.

Hidden cost of apartment-dwelling. You can't wash your car, can't do an oil change, brake job, No place to put your tools and equipment, even if you have any... You have to pay someone else to do everything.

The apartment-dweller tool chest - it's real small and says "Otterbox" on the outside of it. It does limit one's options.