Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Best-in-Class Cabin - 2014 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited February 2016 in Ram
imageBest-in-Class Cabin - 2014 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel Long-Term Road Test

The level of comfort and amenities available in today's full-size trucks is staggering. Our 2014 Ram 1500 is a great example. In fact, it might be the best example in its class.

Read the full story here

Comments

• daryleasondaryleason Member Posts: 501
    One of my friends has a Ram 2500 SLT Larmie LoneStar. So yeah, pretty much every option you can get in it. 4x4, Diesel, leather, etc. I like it. It's comfortable. But Ram has spent so much time being opulent, there are some things that have become form over function. That center console is horrible. It takes up a huge amount of space, but doesn't provide a like amount of storage. In this area, I think the Ford & GM pickups do better. I'll admit, I'm biased. I actually think the best option in a pickup is the 40/20/40 split bench with a flip-up console. In fact, even if I were looking at getting a top-of-the-line trim package on a new truck, I'd still want it to be the 40/20/40 split bench (not that you'd ever see that option nowadays). Plus, the U-Connect system on his truck (at least) is a bit wonky. It'll sometimes play music while the cell phone is connected and in use.
  • kirkhilles1kirkhilles1 Member Posts: 863
    Well, for $50-freaking-K, I'd expect it to. I'd be more interested in the "starting from 26k" model myself personally, especially for something designed for work instead of a family hauler.
  • 5vzfe5vzfe Member Posts: 161
    A far cry from their earlier interiors. We had a 2001 ram, which I consider to have the worst interior of any car I've been in - especially for how much that truck cost when new
  • geezermikegeezermike Member Posts: 22
    I too would be interested in a comparison of the cheapest versions of each truck -- I love my 70 Blazer with the great springy Naugahyde seats and the functional "hose-it-out" interior. Yeah, and I can buy a lot of steaks and toys with that extra $24k saved! However, I fear that the comparison would be so unexciting that it would not make it worth the expense of Edmund's time.
  • daryleasondaryleason Member Posts: 501
    @geezermike : I agree with you. I've lamented many times that the auto industry has abandoned customers like me. I want a basic truck. One where you can still get a "stripped down" model for less money. Give me a V8, AC, and not much else. You can't even get a manual transmission in a F-150 anymore. And I get why Edmunds always goes for the loaded models, because they want to test every feature available. What I'd like to see is Edmunds do a comparison between a late 80s-early 90s full size truck (F-150 or C1500 Extended Cab) against one of their current "new" Full-sizes and show us if they're really worth their value. For instance, my F-150 stickered for nearly 40 grand new. And I almost love it. But I don't know if it's really that much better than what was offered 20 years ago.
  • stanlaurelstanlaurel Member Posts: 4
    edited February 2016
    The awesome interior in my Laramie Ecodiesel wouldn't mean as much to me if the truck's ride was like the Ford's or GM's. It rides like a dream, something that I found wasn't the case with the others when I test drove them. Sure, the coil springs don't support quite the same load as the leaf-spring guys, but how often am I loaded to the point where that's a concern? This is a family hauler, commuter, and tow vehicle all in one plush, smooth-riding package - one that always gets 25 mpg combined. The only thing I hate about this truck is paying for it.
  • geezermikegeezermike Member Posts: 22
    DARYLEASON: Good idea! I also would like to see testing of a variety of older trucks with impressions and comparisons to today's trucks -- maybe to today's stripped "work" trucks. I think we will find we have gained in many areas of family versatility, but we have also lost out on some raw fun and utility.
  • nagantnagant Member Posts: 176
    I think the King Ranch and above are actually more attractive inside than anything Ram has. But for a coffee shop truck the Ram ED is pretty nice I guess. Too bad about the engine problems however. But for a coffee shop truck the Ford 2.7 is a better choice. Far lower initial cost (for the optional engine), no DEF changes and the improved MPGs, while impressive, will take forever to to make sense financially (Unless gas prices spike which it at least possible). And the 2.7 has more pulling power than the ED (watch the hill climb videos) when needed.