Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Real-World Trade-In Values

Comments

• steine13steine13 Member Posts: 2,818
    Re: sharing cars/moving seats:
    I'm a little over 6'. My wife is a mighty 5'2", and my daughter is 5 even.

Depending on the car, all I need to do after my wife has driven is tilt the back of the seat backwards a few degrees, adjust the inside mirror and wah-lah! good to go. I think she sits too far back, but try telling her that.

The daughter, with whom I share the Subaru, is another matter. It takes a felt minute just to drive the seat backwards far enough so I can get in, and then I have to adjust EVERYTHING before I'm properly sitting. Of course, being 16 and the conscientious type, she wants to have it just so, esp. with the clutch close enough and the airbag far enough away.

I consider this to be stricly a first-world problem and a minor inconvenience. If I could have, I would have bought memory seats, though. Or spec'd manual controls, which are faster. Oh well.

Cheers -Mathias
  • suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    We don't have his and hers cars. Ours are shared and driven according to function and/or personal preference of the moment. You got the dog? Drive the Buick. Going out of town for the day? Take the Honda. It helps we aren't that different in size and most of the settings don't change. 
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,971
    I drive the Golf exclusively while the A3 is the wife's and I only get to drive it to the Audi store for a bath and vacuum, like today.

The Sandman :)B)

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,922
    Luckily for us the car we "share" has memory seats.  My wife is much shorter than me and I can't even get in behind the wheel with her settings.  My car, lacks memory but she hates it and drives it only out necessity.  

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,358
    For those of you who don't read the CCBA topic, I bought the 2014 CPO M235i I was looking at. Got it for about $400 over qbrozen's low number and the dealer gave me $1000 more than Edmunds said the MS3 was worth as a trade. So, smiles all around, and many, MANY thanks to qbrozen for all his help!

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    He's the man---and congrats on the "new" car! Nice.
    I posted this back in November of last year:

"2012 Mazda 3 i Touring hatchback
    2.0 l skyactiv engine 6-spd automatic
    black
    one owner
    20,000 miles"

..and qbrozen obliged:
    "Mazda is worth about 10 and a half grand at auction, [..]"

Sure enough, my buddy sold the car back to the dealer he bought it from and got $10,500.
    Now he is on his way back to England. The glamorous life of the itinerant physicist...

Thanks again for the help!
    -Mathias
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,944
    congrats, RB. And you are welcome.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729

For those of you who don't read the CCBA topic, I bought the 2014 CPO M235i I was looking at. Got it for about $400 over qbrozen's low number and the dealer gave me $1000 more than Edmunds said the MS3 was worth as a trade. So, smiles all around, and many, MANY thanks to qbrozen for all his help!

So how fast on your scale of speed is that M235i? Manual? Ceramic brakes? Color? Trade-in-Value? Curious if you'll miss the Speed 3.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • breldbreld Member Posts: 6,710
    Hey Q - just wanted to say thanks again on the trade feedback on my friend's Tundra.

He did get a trade offer from a Toyota dealership of $33k, so at the very top end of what you figured. It was nice to have your info to be confident it was a good offer.

That being said - after spending some more seat time in the Tacoma, I think he's holding on to the Tundra for a little longer. Big difference in the interior room between the two trucks.

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

• andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    Not sure if I mentioned this, my memory is going with the years and with having a child. My 2014 S4 fetched a 29K value at an Audi dealership in my area with no haggling, however, it was tied to buying a new car there, I'm sure. That being said, I'm sure they'd go up to $30K without too much hassle. Part of the reason for this is the Car Fax is still clean.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
    edited February 2016
    andres3 said:

So how fast on your scale of speed is that M235i? Manual? Ceramic brakes? Color? Trade-in-Value? Curious if you'll miss the Speed 3.
    It's pretty swift- 12.9 quarter mile at 109 mph. 8 speed automatic, which-to me, anyway-performs as well or better than most every DCT I've sampled. Alpine white with M Sport brakes. While. I got $4500 for the MS3, and I will miss it; it was a really fun car- but I can't keep 'em all...

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,547
    Black interior? I kind of liked the red seats on the one breld found. But my wife would kill me. She hates that color.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

I like the red as well, but the black should be a little easier to keep clean. When the total of CPO M235is in the US comes to 26, you can't be too picky...

• cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,506
    Yeah, I used to think I could find and buy a BMW wagon with a manual transmission (this was years ago). Did several internet searches and determined that, ignoring color and all other options (beyond the manual), I was screwed. There weren't many wagons and none of them had manuals, but at least in those days they had dipsticks and real tires.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • tommister2tommister2 Member Posts: 393
    breld said:

Hey Q - just wanted to say thanks again on the trade feedback on my friend's Tundra.

He did get a trade offer from a Toyota dealership of $33k, so at the very top end of what you figured. It was nice to have your info to be confident it was a good offer.

That being said - after spending some more seat time in the Tacoma, I think he's holding on to the Tundra for a little longer. Big difference in the interior room between the two trucks.

I really like the idea of a Tacoma, but the Tundra is so much more truck. I know the Tacoma isn't small but it still feels small to me. Maybe when the kids are grown...
    2011 Toyota Camry, 2014 Jeep Wrangler, 2017 Honda Civic Coupe, 2019 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XSE, 2021 Toyota Tundra, 2022 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Tesla Model 3
    Fun and Games with General Motors.
    A couple weeks back, we had a discussion on credit card points etc.... allow me to quote myself:

>>The last two cars I bought from Chevrolet, I had my meager earnings "topped off" to $2,000 and $3,000, respectively, at which point it didn't matter what I had accumulated on my own.

New wrinkle -- just got it in the mail today:
    "Spend $750 between Feb 2 and March 31 and receive $2,000 in bonus cash, good for the purchase or lease of any Chevrolet, Buick, etc etc dot com."

So now it's not "top off" savings anymore, now it's above and beyond what's accumulated on the card. The bonus has to be spent by 06/30... maybe the Cruze Hatch will be out by then?
    [Never mind. "Available Fall 2016"]

Maybe I'll do a short lease on an Equinox instead or something.
    There'll be trouble. My daughter just informed me that an automatic transmission "that's like cheating."
    Still, roughly $3,500 behind supplier pricing isn't bad at all.
    Why can't they build a Malibu Wagon again -- I loved my 1983!! ;)

Cheers -Mathias
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,794
    Whoa now.... Easy there, Mathias! B)
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • asafonovasafonov Member Posts: 401
    steine13 said:

Fun and Games with General Motors.
    A couple weeks back, we had a discussion on credit card points etc.... allow me to quote myself:

>>The last two cars I bought from Chevrolet, I had my meager earnings "topped off" to $2,000 and $3,000, respectively, at which point it didn't matter what I had accumulated on my own.

New wrinkle -- just got it in the mail today:
    "Spend $750 between Feb 2 and March 31 and receive $2,000 in bonus cash, good for the purchase or lease of any Chevrolet, Buick, etc etc dot com."

So now it's not "top off" savings anymore, now it's above and beyond what's accumulated on the card. The bonus has to be spent by 06/30... maybe the Cruze Hatch will be out by then?
    [Never mind. "Available Fall 2016"]

Maybe I'll do a short lease on an Equinox instead or something.
    There'll be trouble. My daughter just informed me that an automatic transmission "that's like cheating."
    Still, roughly $3,500 behind supplier pricing isn't bad at all.
    Why can't they build a Malibu Wagon again -- I loved my 1983!! ;)

Cheers -Mathias

@Mathias,

I remember year ago, you mentioned being able a Vibe way back of supplier pricing using your GM card. Well, I see Cruze LS Classic Limited advertised under 13k new, with a manual. A new Cruze under 10k in your future, perchance, if you are still ok with a base vehicle?
    asafonov said:

[..] a Vibe way back of supplier pricing using your GM card.

Ah, those were the days.
    2004 Vibe base/stick/power package but no ABS/side air bags, $14k even OTD. Heck of a deal.
    asafonov said:

Well, I see Cruze LS Classic Limited advertised under 13k new, with a manual.

Wow, any links? Best around here is $16...
    The thing is, at $13 or $14 I might just buy a leftover '15 outright and send the daughter off to college with it, depending on where she goes.

The Cruze is a nice car, but I don't trust the 1.4 turbo for the long haul. It's a fine engine for leasing, but the 1.8l ecotec is the one to get for ownership [says Steve Lang on TTAC. He ought to know.]

I ran the numbers, and it looks like a 24 month lease on a base car would cost... well, nothing. The only cost is use tax. A 1LT with the turbo motor and decently equipped -- cruise control being the big deal -- is a whopping $20/month. That's an even better deal than the stripper, as far as I am concerned.

The only problem is that the nearest 'LT' with a manual is 200 miles away. Maybe I'll have to order one and trust the $3,450 lease cash is going to stick around. It's one heck of a deal any way you slice it.

Cheers -Mathias
    you won't drive 200 miles for a "free" car? Tough customer, or Mr. Moneybags!

base car taking sign & drive to a new level, cutting out the pesky making payments component.

stickguy said:

Um, I was more worried about the "out of state" part.. is that possible?
    -m
    didn't know about out of state, though not sure why it should matter. Unless there is some reason you aren't allowed to cross state lines?

• iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    20 clams a month ta lease a base Cruze?

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

Iluv, I checked out the Ia today at the car show. Pretty nice little car. Good value for the money. Definitely a Mazda inside!

20 clams a month ta lease a base Cruze?

No.
    The 20 clams is for a 1LT.

If I'm leasing a "base", they're paying me $2/month.
    And that's with sales tax; I misspoke before.

Have to pay $428 tax on rebates, tho.
    I'm not saying they're not crazy, I'm saying that's what the numbers are.

I'd say it's something in the water, but after the Flint fiasco, that'd be in poor taste.
    -m
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    Coolio! Still haven't sat in one but they'll be here for the 2017 MY at Lewis Toyota. I still want one in red.

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,100
    steine13 said:

stickguy said:

Um, I was more worried about the "out of state" part.. is that possible?
    -m
    It's easier to lease across state lines than it is to buy. On a lease, the big national finance company does all the tax calculation. On a purchase, the out-of-state dealer has to figure it out.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

buying depends on the state and dealer. I have dealt with it, no problem. But that is in an area where the dealers are close to the other state.

North Jersey and NYS dealers do it all the time, and S. Jersey where I am and PA dealers. I bought my Sonata in PA, and they did all the DMV work too (got the tax, registered it, got the plates) just like if I bought it in Jersey.

If you buy way out of state, just end up with a non-resident temp transport tag, and should have to deal with the tax in your home state when you go to register it.

steine13 said:

asafonov said:

[..] a Vibe way back of supplier pricing using your GM card.

Ah, those were the days.
    2004 Vibe base/stick/power package but no ABS/side air bags, $14k even OTD. Heck of a deal.
    asafonov said:

Well, I see Cruze LS Classic Limited advertised under 13k new, with a manual.

Wow, any links? Best around here is $16...
    The thing is, at $13 or $14 I might just buy a leftover '15 outright and send the daughter off to college with it, depending on where she goes.

The Cruze is a nice car, but I don't trust the 1.4 turbo for the long haul. It's a fine engine for leasing, but the 1.8l ecotec is the one to get for ownership [says Steve Lang on TTAC. He ought to know.]

I ran the numbers, and it looks like a 24 month lease on a base car would cost... well, nothing. The only cost is use tax. A 1LT with the turbo motor and decently equipped -- cruise control being the big deal -- is a whopping $20/month. That's an even better deal than the stripper, as far as I am concerned.

The only problem is that the nearest 'LT' with a manual is 200 miles away. Maybe I'll have to order one and trust the $3,450 lease cash is going to stick around. It's one heck of a deal any way you slice it.

Cheers -Mathias
    Here's the link, Mathias -

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/ram/ctd/5431172683.html

This appears to be a largish Mazda - Chevrolet (what a combination!) dealer near Minneapolis.

Being an LS, I believe it has a NA 1.8l engine, not the 1.4 turbo one.
    Ah! Thanks. That one be used, though.
    It's got 600 miles and, more importantly, is not listed on their website among the new cars.

I shall see what I can do. Looks like I've got until the 29th at least.
    The hardest thing appears to be locating a 6MT.
    steine13 said:

Ah! Thanks. That one be used, though.
    It's got 600 miles and, more importantly, is not listed on their website among the new cars.

I shall see what I can do. Looks like I've got until the 29th at least.
    The hardest thing appears to be locating a 6MT.

Good catch. When I search their site for new Cruze Limited ones, the lowest that comes up is this one:

2016 Chevrolet Cruze
    $13,488
    Mileage:8
    Body Style:4D Sedan
    Stock Number:63087

Another Twin Cities dealer has a bunch of automatic LS Limiteds at $13,300 (+TTL, of course).

http://www.jeffbelzer.com/inventory/Make_Chevrolet-Model_CruzeLimited?cid=2&sort=price&count=50&page=1
    looking near me, can't seem to find any manuals. Like they don't even exist!

edited February 2016

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,268
    You guys stop! I've still got $4200 in GM points lying around ... cheapest Cruze I can find in SoCal for my kid is something like $16-17K.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

The plot thickens... went to the only dealer in the area who has a 6MT Cruze "LS" -- due to leasing math, it leases better than the loss-leader "L" that has no daylight between MSRP and capitalized cost.

In other words, the cheaper car is more expensive to lease. Go figure.

At any rate, I learned that there's $1,000 conquest cash -- even if your "off-brand" ;) car is not leased. Look at that. By my math, they'll pay me $66 to drive 20k miles. That already includes $500 acquisition + $400 disposition + $200 DOC fee.

My total cost will be$318 upfront with no payments... gotta pay 6% use tax on all the rebates.

Question for the "I'm not an attorney" crowd: Is the "cap cost reduction" rebate subject to use tax?
    I know the GM Card rebate and the $1k conquest rebate are... but I can't figure out whether the $3,450 "lease cash" is taxed. My guess is YES, since I know about it. Dealer rebates aren't taxed but they're usually hush-hush.

Not that it really matters, I just like to understand my numbers before I sit down to work it up.
    Cheers -m
    Michaell said:

You guys stop! I've still got $4200 in GM points lying around ... cheapest Cruze I can find in SoCal for my kid is something like $16-17K.

Shoot, for those prices, you could buy it and drive it to him for a substantial savings. :)
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    steine13 said:

The plot thickens... went to the only dealer in the area who has a 6MT Cruze "LS" -- due to leasing math, it leases better than the loss-leader "L" that has no daylight between MSRP and capitalized cost.

In other words, the cheaper car is more expensive to lease. Go figure.

At any rate, I learned that there's $1,000 conquest cash -- even if your "off-brand" ;) car is not leased. Look at that. By my math, they'll pay me $66 to drive 20k miles. That already includes $500 acquisition + $400 disposition + $200 DOC fee.

My total cost will be$318 upfront with no payments... gotta pay 6% use tax on all the rebates.

Question for the "I'm not an attorney" crowd: Is the "cap cost reduction" rebate subject to use tax?
    I know the GM Card rebate and the $1k conquest rebate are... but I can't figure out whether the $3,450 "lease cash" is taxed. My guess is YES, since I know about it. Dealer rebates aren't taxed but they're usually hush-hush.

Not that it really matters, I just like to understand my numbers before I sit down to work it up.
    Cheers -m

Yes, the lease cash is subject to tax.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

Michaell said:

You guys stop! I've still got $4200 in GM points lying around ... [..]

Seriously, Michaell, they will PAY YOU to drive the silly thing for 20k miles.
    Or at least get a Camaro or something ;)

-m
    steine13 said:

Michaell said:

You guys stop! I've still got $4200 in GM points lying around ... [..]

Seriously, Michaell, they will PAY YOU to drive the silly thing for 20k miles.
    Or at least get a Camaro or something ;)

-m
    Mathias,

Here's another new (12 miles) Cruze Limited LS manual in my area, so they are out here.

Brand New 2016 Chevy Cruze ~ $89/mo w/ ONLY $1k Due at Signing - $13208 (Anoka ~ Free Oil Changes)

Michigan can't be that different from Minnesota - if anything Chevrolet dealers in Michigan might be more aggressive?

BTW, taking an opportunity to thank you, Mathias, for steering me (remotely via your posts) towards Prizms and Vibes - I ended up buying one in 2002 for what I thought would be a brief period, and ended up driving it until last summer :)
    asafonov said:

BTW, taking an opportunity to thank you, Mathias, for steering me (remotely via your posts) towards Prizms and Vibes - I ended up buying one in 2002 for what I thought would be a brief period, and ended up driving it until last summer :)

Wait, you're thanking him for that?! :p

Indeed I am - I saved (and invested) a lot compared to buying or leasing new, even moderately priced vehicles over this period.
    edited February 2016
    xwesx said:

Ha. Very funny.
    It all comes down what are you doing with the car.
    Yeah I got tired of the juvenile racket and the sloppy shifter of my Vibes, but if you drive short distances.. or you don't care too much... or "my other car is a bicycle" -- then these are fine cars.

Not to put too fine a point on it -- I just rode my bike home from work. 2.5 miles on a light coating of ice and snow.. with studded tires.. in 17 degree weather. Builds character, and I don't exercise in any other way. It kind of puts things in perspective, though.

If I had a 100-mile roundtrip commute like some of my colleagues, I'd pick my cars with much greater care. Horses for courses, and all that.

Cheers -m
    edited February 2016
    That's very true. I used to ride my bicycle to work at two different jobs back when the max distance between them and my "house" was about four miles. There were paths or sidewalks that entire distance, and it wasn't very far even on a bicycle.

I'm still "only" about thirteen miles from work now, but I just don't feel like spending ~three hours a day commuting, nor am I particularly interested in risking life and limb (in a significant way) each and every time I do so. As a casual ride, I could be persuaded to attempt it, but then *I* get to pick the details.

I'll still drive my truck or van to work every now and again "for fun," but I wouldn't want either of those to be my daily drivers again.
    steine13 said:

xwesx said:

Ha. Very funny.
    It all comes down what are you doing with the car.
    Yeah I got tired of the juvenile racket and the sloppy shifter of my Vibes, but if you drive short distances.. or you don't care too much... or "my other car is a bicycle" -- then these are fine cars.

Not to put too fine a point on it -- I just rode my bike home from work. 2.5 miles on a light coating of ice and snow.. with studded tires.. in 17 degree weather. Builds character, and I don't exercise in any other way. It kind of puts things in perspective, though.

If I had a 100-mile roundtrip commute like some of my colleagues, I'd pick my cars with much greater care. Horses for courses, and all that.

Cheers -m
    I almost died, just spending 5 minutes pumping gas, yesterday.. in 11 degree windchill.

Ride a bike in this weather.. :o

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

kyfdx said:
    Ha. Very funny. It all comes down what are you doing with the car. Yeah I got tired of the juvenile racket and the sloppy shifter of my Vibes, but if you drive short distances.. or you don't care too much... or "my other car is a bicycle" -- then these are fine cars. Not to put too fine a point on it -- I just rode my bike home from work. 2.5 miles on a light coating of ice and snow.. with studded tires.. in 17 degree weather. Builds character, and I don't exercise in any other way. It kind of puts things in perspective, though. If I had a 100-mile roundtrip commute like some of my colleagues, I'd pick my cars with much greater care. Horses for courses, and all that. Cheers -m
    I almost died, just spending 5 minutes pumping gas, yesterday.. in 11 degree windchill. Ride a bike in this weather.. :o
    Was pushing 90 at my sisters today. Almost 80 at my moms, closer to the coast. 

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

>> Was pushing 90 at my sisters today. Almost 80 at my moms, closer to the coast.

Was that really necessary?

There's -3 F in the forecast for Sunday morning.
    No mosquitoes, though, so we've got that going for us.

Cheers -Mathias
    It will be 95 F in about 12 days.

At least, where I am going.. ;)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    Note to self: when I move to California, do not post glorious temps in winter to people who are freezing their a**es off.
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • sb55sb55 Member Posts: 616
    It's supposed to be a high of 0 def. F (w/o wind-chill) on Saturday up here. But, it is the 1st really cold air of the season and it's WAY better than last winter.

2021 Toyota Venza Limited Hybrid, 2022 Ram 2500 Laramie 6.4 Hemi, 2007 Mazda MX-5 Miata PRHT