Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Saturn SL1 poped fuse when driving over 4500 rpm

belthazor170belthazor170 Member Posts: 1
edited February 2016 in Saturn
Here's the thing my Saturn is from 1997 and every time I get on the high way it and go over 4500 rpm it popes a fuse this results in the motor stopping steering wheel locking up and making our very dangerous to pull on the side of the on ramp to replace the fuse any suggestions on how to fix this other than replaceing the same 10 amp fuse over and over

Comments

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    You'll have to get yourself a detailed wiring diagram and see what circuit or circuits this fuse protects. How that circuit relates to RPM I don't know yet, but maybe the diagram will give you an AHA! moment here.

You might also test the alternator for overcharging.

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    OK--we need to know more things in order to dig into this problem. A very good tech on the board wants you to answer these questions:

"To get started its going to take a little more information. Year, model, engine, and transmission and then specifically which fuse number is failing, and in which fuse block is it located. Then, I'd want to know if is it truly RPM related, such as if the car is in neutral/park and you rev it will it blow the fuse or does it have to be in gear and accelerating? Does it make a difference if it is in first gear at that engine speed, or will it do it in second gear or higher? Will it do it every time he hits 4500rpm? Most of the time, or just some of the time? Does it have to be floored and hit that engine speed, or what would happen if it was manually shifted into low gear and gradually brought up to that engine speed?"