Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

High Mileage maintenance

foreman3foreman3 Member Posts: 3
edited February 2016 in Dodge
I have an almost 20 year old Dodge Stratus. !71,000 miles, and I'm putting another 2,500-3,000 on it monthly.

I know about checking fluids, tire pressure, belts, etc. Are there are other advanced checks or things to look for in a high mileage vehicle? Particularly with the engine?

I want to get as much use out of it as I can and money is definitely an object.

Thanks

Comments

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Sounds like you are already doing everything right! Just keep doing it.

As for "how to treat a high mileage car", my opinion would be, in addition to your regular maintenance that you are already doing, that you get the car on a lift during oil changes, and carefully inspect for leaks---a bad oil or coolant leak can take your car out mighty fast. That's also a good time to check for structural issues on an old car. Have a good look at all suspension parts.

At 3K miles a month, your Old Faithful is definitely in the home stretch, so you might want to think about putting something aside for a down payment on a newer car.

• carboy21carboy21 Member Posts: 760
    A 20 year old car at 171 k and you are putting 3k miles every month ?

Talk about flogging a dying horse :D
  • foreman3foreman3 Member Posts: 3
    I'm asking for advice not sarcasm. You're welcome to get me another car. I have to make due with what I have.
  • foreman3foreman3 Member Posts: 3

Sounds like you are already doing everything right! Just keep doing it.

As for "how to treat a high mileage car", my opinion would be, in addition to your regular maintenance that you are already doing, that you get the car on a lift during oil changes, and carefully inspect for leaks---a bad oil or coolant leak can take your car out mighty fast. That's also a good time to check for structural issues on an old car. Have a good look at all suspension parts.

At 3K miles a month, your Old Faithful is definitely in the home stretch, so you might want to think about putting something aside for a down payment on a newer car.

Thanks. I've heard of certain tests like running dye through that would help detect leaks. I forget which system specifically. I have an oil leak, but it's under control. Lucas stop leak did the charm.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Yes you can use a dye but you need a special "black light" to see the dye.

Have the coolant and brake fluid been flushed in recent years?
  • texasestexases Member Posts: 10,708
    Take a look at the maintenance schedule and make sure you've done everything listed there. I'd also change other fluids (brake, coolant, and transmission) if they haven't been changed lately. Carmakers sometimes don't recommend frequent enough changes (at least every 5 years) for them.