Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Trouble opening the trunk sometimes

pauljaypauljay Member Posts: 19
edited February 2016 in Mazda
Is there any way to open the trunk of my 2010 Mazda 3 hatchback except by pushing the exterior button? Sometimes this does not work (my fob battery is fresh) and I can't find any interior button or latch which will open it.

Comments

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Isn't there a trunk release lever on the left side of the driver's seat?
  • pauljaypauljay Member Posts: 19
    Thanks for your reply. The only 2 levers on the left side of the driver's seat are for seat adjustments. There is another one on the floor which opens the gas tank door and another one under the dashboard which opens the hood, but I can't find one which will open the trunk. There has to be a way to open the trunk from the interior of the car!
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    edited February 2016
    Took a look at the pdf of the manual and for the hatch, the liftgate can be unlocked by turning the key in the driver's door lock, or with the key fob/advanced key, or with the driver's power door lock controls, but it cannot be popped open from the inside of the vehicle like you can pop the trunk on a sedan. The relevant section is on page 3-34 of the manual.

If the vehicle battery is dead or there is a malfunction in the electrical system and the liftgate cannot be unlocked (page 3-36) there's a way to unlock it with a screwdriver, but that's just an emergency procedure.

It's the same way on my Versa hatch, and Versa Note hatchback. It can be unlocked, but to open it, you have to go around back and push the button.
  • pauljaypauljay Member Posts: 19
    Thanks PF_Flyer... you have answered my question, but I hate that trunk unlock button. It is what it is.
    Seems like an annoying design oversight.
    Design oversight, or standard practice with a hatchback? I haven't had a hatch yet that you could "pop the hatch" from the inside. Maybe it's that a hatch doesn't generally lift up completely without lifting it. I seem to recall a lot of our family sedan trunks would open up all the way when you'd release them from inside.

Perhaps a hatch would need a power assist to do so, and that would make it a cost.
    Just unlocking it would be nice..doesn't have to lift. Even my Mini has a dash switch for the door locks (and hatch lock).
    Well the hatch unlocks with the driver's side power lock controls. So if you were going to stop and let someone take something out, you can unlock the hatch. They have to open it, but unlocking doesn't feel like the issue :)