Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

New Windshield Added to Repair List - 2016 Honda Pilot Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited February 2016 in Honda
imageNew Windshield Added to Repair List - 2016 Honda Pilot Long-Term Road Test

Parts for the 2016 Honda Pilot's creaking window and disabled steering wheel heater arrived at the dealer. A new windshield will be added to the list of repairs.

Read the full story here

Comments

• kirkhilles1kirkhilles1 Member Posts: 863
    Ugh. Is this because of the auto-sensing windshield wipers? Insane. We had a local place come out to our house and install OEM quality (and often used as OEM) Pilkington with the auto-dimming function for $277 out the door. I've heard too many horror stories from Safelite to ever use them unless insurance is covering at 100%.
  • ctpaulctpaul Member Posts: 46
    edited February 2016
    most of the national chains use Chinese made non-OEM replacements. Whether that matters or not I have no idea. Curious to see what ends up in the Honda, as OEM.
  • 5vzfe5vzfe Member Posts: 161
    I've come to imagine Los Angeles as basically like a giant rock quarry / screw + nail factory due to all of Edmund's cracked windshields and damaged tires
  • subytrojansubytrojan Member Posts: 120
    Hopefully, your quote is for the correct windshield! There are multiple windshield part numbers depending on the trim.

https://estore.honda.com/honda/parts/view-honda-parts-catalog-detail.asp?m=2016-pilot-5-elite-4wd-9at&sn=&b=B++52&dl=

73111-TG7-A52 appears to be the correct part number.
  • notfastnotfast Member Posts: 93
    Name an Edmunds long term tester than didn't lose a windshield or a tire. I can't think of any, is this one of the pitfalls of the third-world SoCal roads?
  • s197gts197gt Member Posts: 486
    safelite came out and replaced the windshield on my company car. they used the cheapest option. i couldn't tell the difference.

having said that, the tech said for his personal car he would spend the extra dough: pilkington or ppg/pgw.
  • kirkhilles1kirkhilles1 Member Posts: 863
    Yeah, Pilkington/PPG(W) are considered the best options. My understanding is that the Chinese Safelite glass is really thin. I'm sure it works well, but you might hear more noise and be more likely to get another crack.