Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Need help deciding between coupes!

rskamathrskamath Member Posts: 2
edited February 2016 in General
Hi all, So I am looking for a used coupe approximately 30k miles and a few years old. I have narrowed them down to a couple choices and was having a difficult time deciding between the two models and which I should focus on getting:

Few things I am specifically looking for - V6 for the fun times, Reliable, Relatively roomy, preferably non luxury to keep maintenance low. I understand that one is FWD and other RWD. I live in a place where it doesn't snow more than 3-4 days a year. Budget is 22k.

1. Honda Accord Coupe EX-L V6 2012 model onwards.
2. Hyundai Genesis Coupe 3.8 2013 model onwards.

Could you outline a few plus and minus about both that may help make my decision?

Thanks.

Comments

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,036
    rskamath said:

Hi all, So I am looking for a used coupe approximately 30k miles and a few years old. I have narrowed them down to a couple choices and was having a difficult time deciding between the two models and which I should focus on getting:

Few things I am specifically looking for - V6 for the fun times, Reliable, Relatively roomy, preferably non luxury to keep maintenance low. I understand that one is FWD and other RWD. I live in a place where it doesn't snow more than 3-4 days a year. Budget is 22k.

1. Honda Accord Coupe EX-L V6 2012 model onwards.
    2. Hyundai Genesis Coupe 3.8 2013 model onwards.

Could you outline a few plus and minus about both that may help make my decision?

Thanks.

I think your best bet is to find and test drive both vehicles and see which one you prefer.

My guess is you will find more Accords than Genesis' in the used car world.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• texasestexases Member Posts: 10,707
    If both were in good shape, I'd get the Accord, better chance of long term reliability.
  • thebeanthebean Member Posts: 1,217
    texases said:
    If both were in good shape, I'd get the Accord, better chance of long term reliability.
    This^^^^

It's hard to go wrong with a good used Honda.  Not the most exciting car, but should be dead reliable if the previous owners took decent care of it.
    2015 Honda Accord EX, 2019 Honda HR-V EX
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,830
    A Genesis coupe is a lot better on paper, than in the real world. How about a nice VW GTI? (I know, not a V-6)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• rskamathrskamath Member Posts: 2
    Yes Genesis coupe does look great on paper.. but I must say I have had a Honda before and only had to replace the brake pads once (in 50k miles that I had it) - that's literally the only thing I spent on.. almost all else was regular maintenance stuff.. I haven't had a hyundai so I can't say anything about it..

Regarding VW, I love german cars but thinking about how costly it can get detracts me from buying one.. that being said the Passat is one of the better cars I have driven.. however I have kind of boiled it down to these two.. Edmunds TCO does favor the Honda too.. the only thing is going to be that the Honda may not match up to the genesis but then I don't drive a 100mph every other day so I guess from that perspective - it isn't really going to matter that it's a Honda.
  • abormannabormann Member Posts: 3
    Honda Accord of course B)
  • zandorzandor Member Posts: 67
    I'd probably go with the Genesis just because I really don't like FWD. Too many years in a RWD car, FWD just doesn't feel right. Then again I'm not that cost sensitive and realistically I wouldn't buy either one of them. I usually stick to luxury cars. That said the Accord is the more sensible choice.
  • parachautopartparachautopart Member Posts: 16
    in my point of you, you must drive both and then decide , with which one you are more comfrtable