Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Range Anxiety - 2015 Jeep Renegade Trailhawk Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited February 2016 in Jeep
imageRange Anxiety - 2015 Jeep Renegade Trailhawk Long-Term Road Test

Our 2015 Jeep Renegade Trailhawk looks cool, is cool, and does what it's supposed to do. But there's one thing that annoys me.

Read the full story here

Comments

• kirkhilles1kirkhilles1 Member Posts: 863
    Wow, moronic concept. Show a small "Low Fuel" icon and show the range left. I'm sure if it shows 34 miles left, it is really 34 miles + 1 gallon backup.
  • daryleasondaryleason Member Posts: 501
    I think it's a Chrysler thing. I know my 2006 PT Cruiser was that way too. As soon as it dropped below the 30 MTE point, it said "Low Fuel" or something along those lines. I guess someone did a study and decided that it was better to say "low range" or "low fuel" so that if someone decided to push it, they couldn't say "Well, my display said I still could go another 3 miles before I was completely out" and sue them. Thankfully, my F-150 will count down to zero. So far, I've managed to eke out an additional 19 miles PAST the zero miles till empty (eventually, my luck is going to run out on me).
  • banhughbanhugh Member Posts: 315
    edited February 2016
    It's a legal thing. In contrary to rpm or vehicle speed, range calculation requires the assumption that your driving will remain the same to predict the distance before empty. Chrysler is "playing it safe"...
  • barich1barich1 Member Posts: 143
    edited February 2016
    Or you could get gas. You never know when there's going to be a traffic jam or, if you're traveling, no gas station at that next exit.
  • tlangnesstlangness Member Posts: 123
    In a car like this @barich1, you want to squeeze every last mile out of the tiny tank.
  • nagantnagant Member Posts: 176
    No more stupid than the 160MPH speedo. And does the author really "love" the Renegade? The one I drove was nice to look at and sit in but was such a buzzy mess to drive. The tigershark is just a hot mess. It makes the old 2.4 in my PT seem smooth and quiet by comparison.
  • longtimelurkerlongtimelurker Member Posts: 455
    "My relationship with our long-term 2015 Jeep Renegade Trailhawk crossed over from like to love a long time ago. This vehicle does exactly what it's supposed to do, it does it all extremely well, and it is fun to drive."

Well, you're going to have a chance to buy it, then, when it hits 20k miles, because nobody else there wants it.
  • desmoliciousdesmolicious Member Posts: 671
    I hate ketchup on hot dogs too.
    So Scott's observation is valid.
  • s197gts197gt Member Posts: 486
    edited February 2016
    actually, i'm not sure why someone really NEEDS to know how fast they are going past any legal speed; which maxes out at what, 85 nowadays?

i mean, back in the day, that's all many speedometers went up to. you could "bury the needle" pretty easily back then. nowadays it's hard to find a vehicle that can bury the needle.

are there any?

if not, probably a good thing, that was one of the first things i wanted to do the day i got my license.

i crashed before i got the chance. like, 20 mins after getting my license...

edit

actually, i can bury the needle in my mustang. speedometer only goes to 140 and the top speed is 140+. i found a few youtube videos i won't bother posting...

i believe the newest mustangs have a 160 mph speedometer.

• henry4hirehenry4hire Member Posts: 106
    What's wrong with Ketchup on a hot dog? Is it an east coast thing to dislike that? How come at every ballpark they have mustard, ketchup, relish, and onions together? Why is this even a thing?
  • gslippygslippy Member Posts: 514
    Given that this thing drinks fuel like the Space Shuttle, you'll being seeing that "Low Range" indicator a lot.

Also, why would they use the term "Low Range" to refer to driving distance in an AWD vehicle?
  • misterfusionmisterfusion Member Posts: 471
    GM and Nissan range indicators do this too (or at least the GM & Nissan models that I've owned). "Range: -.-" Drives me bonkers.