Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

The Best of the First 5,000 - 2016 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited February 2016 in Mazda
imageThe Best of the First 5,000 - 2016 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible Long-Term Road Test

Here are the highlights of our first 5,000 miles with the 2016 Mazda MX-5 Miata.

Read the full story here

Comments

• kirkhilles1kirkhilles1 Member Posts: 863
    Its great to hear that Mazda has continued to improve the Miata even though its such a specialty car (2 seater, tight fitting, RWD convertible) after 26 years. This one certainly sounds like its vastly improved over the previous generations which is saying a whole lot. This isn't a car that you get fully loaded with advanced cruise controls and exotic materials or technologies, this is a car that can be enjoyed in its base-car form (and used as well due to reliability). Buy it stripped down and enjoy the simplicity of the experience.
  • bankerdannybankerdanny Member Posts: 1,021
    Given the rapid run up of mileage it doesn't seem like there have been many substantive posts about the driving experience. We have had posts about the quality of the shifter, the gauge layout and temp gauge format, Does The Riswick Fit and other similar posts.

Where is the weekend trip to Vegas? Where is the Saturday drive through the canyons? Where is the track day?
  • bankerdannybankerdanny Member Posts: 1,021
    Oh, and on the subject of fit, I am about the same size as James (although a bit wider) I was very pleased with the amount of space when I sat in the Miata at the Chicago Auto Show. I own a '72 MGB-GT, so I am adept at fitting my 6-3 frame into a small car. I easily settled in, there was no problem with space between the bottom of the wheel and my legs (something I can't say with my much larger 2002 Saab 9-3) and I appears that headroom would not be a problem. Overall the car feels like one that a moderately tall person could live with easily.
  • kirkhilles1kirkhilles1 Member Posts: 863

Oh, and on the subject of fit, I am about the same size as James (although a bit wider) I was very pleased with the amount of space when I sat in the Miata at the Chicago Auto Show. I own a '72 MGB-GT, so I am adept at fitting my 6-3 frame into a small car. I easily settled in, there was no problem with space between the bottom of the wheel and my legs (something I can't say with my much larger 2002 Saab 9-3) and I appears that headroom would not be a problem. Overall the car feels like one that a moderately tall person could live with easily.

That's good. I'm only 5'11" and my 2000 feels about 2 sizes too small for me even after removing sunvisors and doing the foamectamy and angling the seat all the way back.
  • desmoliciousdesmolicious Member Posts: 671
    edited February 2016

That's good. I'm only 5'11" and my 2000 feels about 2 sizes too small for me even after removing sunvisors and doing the foamectamy and angling the seat all the way back.

Do you mind if I ask how much you weigh? I'm 5' 10" and I find that I have lots of space in my 2013 CS. Not remotely cramped.

Or maybe it's the torso/leg length ratio that is a big deal?