Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2016 Mazda CX-5 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

haccenthaccent Member Posts: 2
edited May 2015 in Mazda
I am interested in getting the new 2016 CX-5 grandtouring with tech package, and I-active package AWD. Don't really know what to pay as there is not a lot of data out there. Any recommendations?

Comments

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited March 2015
    You can click on Make | Model above and drill down to your CX-5 with your options, color, zip code etc. After you spec it all out, you'll land on a page with MSRP, Invoice and TMV (True Market Value). The TMV price is the number you want to meet or beat.

I'm coming up with a couple hundred bucks under $30,000 for a Grand Touring AWD in a NM zip code, but I skipped the options. Note that TMV includes the destination of $880.
  • schusheschushe Member Posts: 1
    You can get lots of data like this at the mazdas247.com My MSRP for everything you listed except mine is FWD was 32045 and I paid 29999.
  • ccjw511ccjw511 Member Posts: 23
    Not sure about the GT AWD but we are looking for Touring 2WD with no additional features and wonder if anyone have received a good quote from the dealership. Lowest one we received was $22850 but then dealer said the car was sold after few hours. What do you guys think?
  • laandrewlaandrew Member Posts: 27
    Best offers I got in southern California for 2016 cx-5 are $25k for Touring and $27k for Grand Touring which includes destination fee as well. To me they are still high!!! Do you guys think I do better that?
    edited July 2015
    I dunno @laandrew, you've been chasing this deal pretty hard for a few weeks now. Did the inventory supply ever pick up in SoCal?

There may be a chance for a few bucks more off with the holiday sales, but we don't know if there's bonus money out there for the CX-5. My guess is that this is the weekend to buy and this may be your last good chance to try to scrape a little bit more off, or try for some free oil changes or something. If there's hood money out there and it goes away on the evening of the 5th, then the dealers may tighten up their numbers. Who knows....

And yeah, cars aren't cheap. Sure is fun to drive a new one though.
    edited July 2015
    thanks @stever Yeah I am looking for different cars. It seems that Honda is more aggressive to get new customers. Their pricing is more attractive and you could get a good deal of about 13% off MSRP on some cars. But on Mazda side they are not that flexible. I am not sure but maybe the refresh 2016 car is a factor!
    I am not in a rush to buy a car now. I may extend my search to the end of September with the hope of more inventory supply. Although to me the inventory in SoCal is not that bad now.
    I'll keep posting the new numbers here as soon as I get to help others in their search!
    @stever Do you know why the invoice and msrp are this close in Mazda products unlike other manufacturers ?
    edited July 2015
    That seems to be a growing trend and I think most manufacturers are squeezing the gap, not just Mazda.

Invoice is helpful to know but it's not as meaningful as it used to be.

Surprising tips for car shopping in Internet age (USA Today)
  • adumaaaadumaaa Member Posts: 1
    Got an offer on a 2016 Sonic Silver AWD Touring with roof rack for $26,449 and an OTD cost of $28,973 in Georgia.
    edited September 2015
    Well, $26,816 is invoice and TMV is coming in at $26,911 for Hotlanta. Could be a little higher if you are up in Dalton or over in Savannah or other smaller market, but probably not by much. Those numbers include the destination of $880.

So you're right on target with your deal being ~$500 less than TMV.

If you want to try to squeeze a bit more, try to get them to throw in the rack rails.

Good luck!
  • HelloJerryHelloJerry Member Posts: 2
    Anyone know OTD for a Touring or Grand Touring AWD in New Hampshire?
  • MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,145

Anyone know OTD for a Touring or Grand Touring AWD in New Hampshire?

Use the pricing tools at the top of the page (make / model / year) to help determine the correct selling price.

OTD pricing is dependent on where you live and the practices employed by the dealers in your area.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• hkellogghkellogg Member Posts: 2
    Just bought a 2016 touring Awd with tech and Bose package sticker was 30100 got it for 27100 total after trade  & $500 loyalty (09 cx-7 with 176k) 25000 +tax think I got a good deal but who knows  
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,200
    hkellogg said:

Just bought a 2016 touring Awd with tech and Bose package sticker was 30100 got it for 27100 total after trade  & $500 loyalty (09 cx-7 with 176k) 25000 +tax think I got a good deal but who knows  
    Congrats on the new car!

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• micochemicoche Member Posts: 17
    edited March 2016
    Got my CX-5 yesterday in Northern California - here are some details and experience while negotiating:

- Model: CX-5 Grand Touring, FWD, 2016.5
    - Packages: Tech and I-active
    - MSRP: $32,400
    - Invoice: $31,600
    - Paid: $30,300 (before taxes and registration - there were no "dealer fees")
    - Here on Edmunds, TMV is $30,764, so I paid a bit under it.
    - (trade-in: they gave me $2,500 for my old car - not great, not too bad)

(financed part of it through Mazda Finance at a 60 months/2.99% rate)

Spent 3.5 hours negotiating - Knowing it was almost the last day of the month, I started offering a **very** low amount. I do this in order to check where the dealer's limit is at. In this case, they "sent" me home twice during the negotiation (I left once, and came back). This whole thing resembles some sort of "mating dance" :D

After 3 hours negotiating, it was pretty clear to me that they would not accept anything less than what they had offered, and I had to make a decision. Given that this is a nice car, fully equipped, I accepted their last price ($30,300).

After having negotiated for new cars at Jeep and Mercedes, it looks to me that Mazda dealers have less room to accept a discounted offer like mine (my initial offer was about 20% lower than MSRP)... something I have also seen at Honda, at least in this area.

Anyway, happy with my new car, although I will always wonder if I could have gotten it for less...
    micoche said:

Got my CX-5 yesterday in Northern California - here are some details and experience while negotiating:

- Model: CX-5 Grand Touring, FWD, 2016.5
    - Packages: Tech and I-active
    - MSRP: $32,400
    - Invoice: $31,600
    - Paid: $30,300 (before taxes and registration - there were no "dealer fees")
    - Here on Edmunds, TMV is $30,764, so I paid a bit under it.
    - (trade-in: they gave me $2,500 for my old car - not great, not too bad)

(financed part of it through Mazda Finance at a 60 months/2.99% rate)

Spent 3.5 hours negotiating - Knowing it was almost the last day of the month, I started offering a **very** low amount. I do this in order to check where the dealer's limit is at. In this case, they "sent" me home twice during the negotiation (I left once, and came back). This whole thing resembles some sort of "mating dance" :D

After 3 hours negotiating, it was pretty clear to me that they would not accept anything less than what they had offered, and I had to make a decision. Given that this is a nice car, fully equipped, I accepted their last price ($30,300).

After having negotiated for new cars at Jeep and Mercedes, it looks to me that Mazda dealers have less room to accept a discounted offer like mine (my initial offer was about 20% lower than MSRP)... something I have also seen at Honda, at least in this area.

Anyway, happy with my new car, although I will always wonder if I could have gotten it for less...

Congrats on your new car! I don't think there is as much of a spread between invoice and MSRP on Mazdas as there are for other brands.

Dealers are in the business of making money, but they have to sell cars in order to do that. It's likely their offer was probably the best they could do.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

• kentemankenteman Member Posts: 6
    edited March 2016
    I got quoted $28584 OTD for a Sonic Silver Metallic, Touring FWD 2016.5 CX-5. I am in the Aurora/Naperville area of IL Zip (60504)

Breakout:

Sale Price: $25,906
    IL Doc: $169.27
    Sales Tax: $1,892.27
    ERT: $25
    Title and Plate (NEW): $196
    OTD Total: $28,188.54

This price also includes the moonroof and Bose Speaker system which was $1130.

Good deal?
    Too many variables to say - what style and AWD or FWD?

You can look up invoice, MSRP and True Market Value here.
    edited March 2016
    Sorry Stever, I should have been more descriptive. I revised my original description.
    edited March 2016
    btw, you have four hours to edit your posts. :) Just hover over the gear cog to pop-up the edit option.
    Thanks. I revised my original description.
    edited March 2016
    Cool, so invoice is $26,406, MSRP is $27,245 and the TMV average price paid for your area is $26,557 (those numbers include the $900 destination and your option package).

There's a Regional Adjustment for your zip code is $254 which is figured in the TMV. So a bit of a tough market.

So it looks like you're beating invoice by $500 and I think that's pretty good for your market.

This is the end of the month so you may be able to grab another couple of hundred bucks by dragging your feet a bit. Good luck!
    I just purchased it. Thanks again for your help.
    Great - congrats!
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    A reporter is looking to speak with car shoppers who recently purchased a truck or SUV instead of a coupe or sedan because they were influenced (at least in part) by today's low gas prices. If this sounds like your experience and you're willing to help, please contact pr@edmunds.com by no later than May 24, 2016.
  • fasteddie911fasteddie911 Member Posts: 1
    edited July 2016
    Just picked up a 2016.5 CX5 sport FWD auto in Houston the other week for $24500 out the door, which I think worked out to around $22,600 plus TTL. It was my first new car buying experience, did the whole email quote thing which worked moderately well, but dealing with salesmen online and in person is still annoying. Love the car, great styling and even though it's the Sport, new car technology is awesome, the newest vehicle I've owned before this was a 2003.

Just picked up a 2016.5 CX5 sport FWD auto in Houston the other week for $24500 out the door, which I think worked out to around $22,600 plus TTL. It was my first new car buying experience, did the whole email quote thing which worked moderately well, but dealing with salesmen online and in person is still annoying. Love the car, great styling and even though it's the Sport, new car technology is awesome, the newest vehicle I've owned before this was a 2003.

Congrats!

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Ditto, congrats! Texas dealers don't seem to be the easiest to deal with.

And since the Tour has started, is your member name related to Fast Eddy Merckx? :)
  • comicsvstoyscomicsvstoys Member Posts: 4
    Hi, looking for some advice so just thought I'd ask here. Received this quote from a SoCal dealer:

2016.5 CX-5 GT FWD black w/parchment interior

moonroof/Bose package

final price $29,950

$0 upfront OTD

4 free service maintenance visits

2 year lease/ 24k

$290/month (tax included)

What do you think?
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,200

Hi, looking for some advice so just thought I'd ask here. Received this quote from a SoCal dealer:

2016.5 CX-5 GT FWD black w/parchment interior

moonroof/Bose package

final price $29,950

$0 upfront OTD

4 free service maintenance visits

2 year lease/ 24k

$290/month (tax included)

What do you think?

Not much detail. But, the price looks cheap, relative to the MSRP, especially for a 24 month lease.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• comicsvstoyscomicsvstoys Member Posts: 4
    Thank you for the response. It's my first time trying to figure out these leasing numbers. I was originally looking to get AWD but apparently it's very difficult to get it under $300/month with 0 down.
  • jwlcx516jwlcx516 Member Posts: 1
    Hello,

I got quoted a price and want to know if it is fair - For SF Bay Area
    Grand Touring w/ GT Tech Package and navigation - FWD
    Buying with Cash

MSRP - 30,625

Offer - 27,299
    Out the door just over 30K - 30,200
    Not sure what the invoice price is.
    It seems I am good when you consider TVR on Edmunds but I would like a 2nd opinion as this is my first new car.

I have a trade-in old Honda CRV. Thanks
    edited July 2016
    Hi @jwlcx516 and welcome!

I see the same MSRP here (and it includes the $900 destination).

I don't see nav listed as a separate option.

Invoice with the GT Tech is $29,687. TMV is $29,008.

So your offer looks good, especially considering that your are in the Bay Area.

On the OTD, breakout, assuming your taxes are ~10%, then the number is right in line and it doesn't appear that there are any junk fees (California limits doc fees to $80).

You're doing great.

For the trade-in, you can appraise it here. You can get a bit better number by asking in the Real World Trade-in Values discussion, but for an old car, you may not be looking at much anyway. A used CR-V would be an easy one to flip on craigslist but that's a hassle. CarMax is another option and you may want to get a quote from them just to keep the dealer honest. You may save a bit in taxes with a trade-in, not sure how Cali works with that.

About your cash - dealers make money putting car loans together, so you may want to check out financing and see if the dealer would whack another few hundred bucks off the deal if you finance. I'm usually a cash buyer too, but money is cheap right now and it's a good way to build your credit if you aren't already at 800. You can always pay the loan off early too - it's rare that car loans have a pre-payment penalty any more.

Enjoy the new ride!
  • newbie2016newbie2016 Member Posts: 20
    So I'm looking to lease a CX-5 Touring (or GT if the price were right!)

So I was able to get a quote for the invoice of the car - 26,800 (MSRP 27,500). So that plus the 595 inception fee, money factor of .00014 and residual of 62% gets me a price of $0 down and $295 per month x 36 months (plus tax). I feel like many others are getting prices negotiated well below invoice though.

Should I be looking for better??
  • sachinj84sachinj84 Member Posts: 2
    Hi,
    i got quote of 2016.5 Mazda CX5 Grand Touring FWD with Tech Package ( including roof rails/mat/locks) Out the door $30976 in Atlanta.

is that a fair quote or i should look for better?
    edited July 2016
    Out the door includes all fees and taxes and without a breakdown of the numbers, so it's a bit hard to know how "fair" your deal is. You may have a great selling price and crazy doc fees for example.

A GT FWD in Atlanta has an invoice of $30,031, MSRP of 31,055 and True Market Value of $29,984. These numbers include the options and the $900 destination.

Your taxes there are around 8% if my chart is right, so figure you're paying around $2,400 for taxes.

Your OTD number minus $2,400 puts the selling price of the car close to $28,600.

If my backwards math is right, you are getting the car for ~$1,400 below invoice. I think that's good for Atlanta.

If they are selling the car for $2,000 below invoice but putting a $600 doc fee in there, then you may be able to do better. Only way to know is to shop the quote around some other dealers. This is a good week to do that, since you may find a dealer who needs to make quota by next weekend to earn bonus money from Mazda. It wouldn't hurt to get a breakdown from the dealer too.

Let us know how it goes!
  • sachinj84sachinj84 Member Posts: 2
    Hi Steve,
    i tried few other dealers and all of them confirmed that they cant match the price of $30976 forget about beating it. So looks like $30976 is the best number i can find in atlanta and would probably do the deal tomorrow.

the dealer who gave me this quote has 39 CX 5 in stock not sure if that level of inventory made the difference or something else because other dealer told me that they would be loosing money if they sell me this car for $30976.

PS:- Sales tax in GA is set at 7%.

thanks
    Go for it (not that I believe that the other dealer is being completely honest about losing money on the deal). And yeah, the excess inventory could be eating into the dealer's holdback.

Thanks for the note about the tax - our chart seems more wrong than right lately.

Enjoy the new ride!
  • arun10chiagoarun10chiago Member Posts: 4
    I am looking for a mazda cx5 AWD grand touring with tech package. what will be a good price in my area?
    edited August 2016
    Bit of a switch from the Camry. Unless you are buying two cars. :)

The TMV average is close to invoice in your area (invoice is $29,687, including the $900 destination fee).

You know the drill - since TMV is an average, your target will be under that.

Mazda prices are kind of curious - the difference between invoice and MSRP is just $1,000. Well, that kind of differential has shrunk a lot with most makes of cars.

Assuming holdback is still 1% of MSRP ($30,625), that's a pretty meager payment ($306) to a Mazda dealer if they sold for "invoice". Markup/profit on new cars isn't that much anyway. But I'd be surprised to learn that the dealer isn't getting other kinds of bonus money, and those unknown incentives make invoice a bit of a fake number.

So the question is, what's your target? Guess I'd be happy with a selling price of $28,600 or so. Maybe less, don't really have a good handle on CX-5 prices other than the book values.

I'm seeing a ton of inventory there, so that should work in your favor.
  • arun10chiagoarun10chiago Member Posts: 4
    bought camry 2017 xle
  • spi1357spi1357 Member Posts: 2
    Hi Steve,
    Just offered the following:
    2016.5 CX-5 Touring AWD Crystal White Pearl w/Moonroof/Bose Package.
    MSRP = $28,745 (Incl $900 Dest)
    Offer = $ 26,733
    Zip Code: 60462

Looks like 7.5% off MSRP
    Also offering additional $500.00 off with finance option.
    Good Deal?????
    Congrats @arun10chiago!
    spi1357 said:

Hi Steve,
    Just offered the following:
    2016.5 CX-5 Touring AWD Crystal White Pearl w/Moonroof/Bose Package.
    MSRP = $28,745 (Incl $900 Dest)
    Offer = $ 26,733
    Zip Code: 60462

Looks like 7.5% off MSRP
    Also offering additional $500.00 off with finance option.
    Good Deal?????

Perfect color for Florida (and here).

I'm still not used to working off MSRP as a percentage but your quote is about $2,100 below invoice and $1,100 below the TMV average for your zip.

The extra $500 for financing is good too, assuming the rate is okay.

Yeah, good deal on the selling price. Just be careful of the crazy doc fees in Florida. Anything over $50 is too much (see this site for a good dealer rant about those fees).
  • spi1357spi1357 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks Stever

Purchased today!
    OTD = $28,590

60462 Is actually a suburb of Chicago.

Was skeptical of the crazy fees you mentioned but nothing seemed to far out of line.
    This seemed like the only questionable fee - Optional EKT Fee = $25.00 ????
    Doc fee = $169.00
    County Flat Tax = $15.00
    Plates = $196.00
    Cook County Tax $1,952
    Loan Rate = 2.5% Thus, additional $500.00 off due to financing through Dealer.

Hopefully this information helps future buyers.....
    Good Luck!
    edited August 2016
    lol, sorry about that. Lots of times I'll put a new zip in the Build and Price tool and forget to hit the Update button.

And yeah, those fees are downright reasonable compared to most. No clue about EKT - Encrypted Key Transport?

Congrats! (and I still like the color and being an ex-Yooper, I'm not going to make any cracks about finding it in the snow :) ).
  • windmilliwindmilli Member Posts: 1
    I'm about to buy a 2016.5 AWD CX-5 Grand Touring (no packages) for a sales price of 26,500 plus taxes of $2000, freight charges and about $600 in document fees and tags. Sound reasonable or way too much?
    edited December 2016
    windmilli said:

I'm about to buy a 2016.5 AWD CX-5 Grand Touring (no packages) for a sales price of 26,500 plus taxes of $2000, freight charges and about $600 in document fees and tags. Sound reasonable or way too much?

Hi @windmill, $26,500 plus the $900 destination is $27,400 for the selling price and is about $2,500 below invoice ($29,919) and about 14% below MSRP ($30,770). All our my numbers include the $900 destination. Oh, TMV is coming in around $29,000 which includes a $500 cash incentive.

My guess is that the doc fees are "too high" and that's where the dealer is trying to make a little profit.

Good amount off invoice and we don't see all that many deals above the usual 8 to12% off MSRP range. Sounds like a good deal!