Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

06 Civic or 02 CR-V?

pauljeffperezpauljeffperez Member Posts: 3
edited March 2016 in Honda
I'm looking at buying either an 06 civic EX with 137K miles or an 02 cr-v EX with 123K miles. Price is the same. I live in NYC and have two kids and a small dog. I like the civic because it's newer and has better gas mileage. I like the cr-v because it has 4wd for our crazy winters, more room for the beach/camping/etc and has less miles.

I'm recently separated so now need my own car even though the ex-wife said I could use our 13 cr-v whenever I want. I'm really torn. I've owned a 06 civic and really liked the way it handled. It even handled well in snow w/ good tires. The one setback was room. Once our kids were a few years old, we had to trade it in. We bought a 13 cr-v and it has both good handling and room. So I like the idea of getting an older cr-v.

Would love to hear any suggestions on which way to go. Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I think I'd go newer and ask to borrow the '13 for any beach trips with the kids.
  • Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Yeah, an '02 is pretty ancient. It's not only miles, but age that works against a car. Too bad you couldn't find a newer CR-V at the price of the Civic!
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,153
    I would definitely go with the newer model. (and, I drove an '02 CR-V for 6.5 years!)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    I'm seeing nice CR-Vs with around 100K in the $6,000 range here in California. Under 100K the price seems to creep up to around $7K. '06 Civic sedans, clean with reasonable miles seem to run just a little higher. So I'm thinking that '02 CR-V is either priced quite high or the Civic is a bargain.
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    CARFAX seems to indicate the CR-V did some towing. Civic is one-owner. Looks like the dealer put some $$$ into it after taking it in on trade---new struts, replaced the console, window switch, new sun visor, axle seals, two new tires, bulbs replaced, oil and air filter. All done recently. I personally wouldn't pay $6K for the CR-V.
  • Options
    texasestexases Member Posts: 10,708
    Civic for me. That age CR-V may have been during the period they had problems with the a/c system. Google "CR-V black death" for more info. Beats me why it was specific to the CR-V.
  • Options
    Oh, yeah, the AC compressor seizes up and corrupts the entire AC system with debris.
  • Options
    pauljeffperezpauljeffperez Member Posts: 3
    Thanks. This really clears it up for me.
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,153
    texases said:

Civic for me. That age CR-V may have been during the period they had problems with the a/c system. Google "CR-V black death" for more info. Beats me why it was specific to the CR-V.

True... but, at 14 years old, it's either happened, or it isn't going to... IMO.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    edited March 2016
    Repair pal records almost 400 CR-V repairs on the AC, and the average mileage at the time of repair was roughly 100K. Of course, at 100K you could also say that an AC compressor failure isn't abnormal on any car. The problem with the CR-V is the seizure of the compressor--that, if not caught in time, can really screw up the entire system.