Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

No Transmission Love - 2015 Jeep Renegade Trailhawk Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited March 2016 in Jeep
No Transmission Love - 2015 Jeep Renegade Trailhawk Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds conducts a long-term test of the 2015 Jeep Renegade Trailhawk and isn't feeling the 9-speed transmission.

Read the full story here

Comments

• moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    Offer the Powertech 6F24 6 speed automatic in FWD and non-Trailhawk versions of the Renegade. This transmission is used in Patriot already, has good NVH and good fuel efficiency and it does not generate complaints. It's also lower cost than ZF unit.
  • misterfusionmisterfusion Member Posts: 471
    ^ I've been thinking the exact same thing. They've already used the Powertech to replace other unloved transmissions in the lineup, with no complaints as far as I'm aware. It'd probably be worth the cost of re-certification of those vehicles. I understand the mentality of "sunk costs", but with a true replacement for the ZF a very long way away, I think the Powertech could be a good way to improve those vehicles overnight.
  • longtimelurkerlongtimelurker Member Posts: 455
    If it were simply a matter of better transmission behavior for what is basically a good car - like a tranny reflash for a 2012+ Focus with the dual-clutch box, that is one thing.

But there is too much wrong with the Renegade - even with a better transmission it will have the fuel economy of a 3-row SUV but not the range or acceleration of one, rides terrible, is noisy, has crappy infotainment, and have all the other quality/ergonomics issues that have cropped up.
  • barich1barich1 Member Posts: 143
    So this transmission has poor responsiveness and shift quality, undoubtedly costs more to manufacture than a 6-speed, doesn't save a notable amount of fuel, and doesn't improve performance. I suspect that aside from calibration issues, it'll prove to not be overly reliable in the long term either, given its (apparently unnecessary) complexity.

I wonder how ZF managed to sell it to FCA, Honda, and Land Rover.
  • throwbackthrowback Member Posts: 445
    Too many gears.
  • throwbackthrowback Member Posts: 445
    barich1 said:

So this transmission has poor responsiveness and shift quality, undoubtedly costs more to manufacture than a 6-speed, doesn't save a notable amount of fuel, and doesn't improve performance. I suspect that aside from calibration issues, it'll prove to not be overly reliable in the long term either, given its (apparently unnecessary) complexity.

Good salesmen!
  • nagantnagant Member Posts: 176

If it were simply a matter of better transmission behavior for what is basically a good car - like a tranny reflash for a 2012+ Focus with the dual-clutch box, that is one thing.

But there is too much wrong with the Renegade - even with a better transmission it will have the fuel economy of a 3-row SUV but not the range or acceleration of one, rides terrible, is noisy, has crappy infotainment, and have all the other quality/ergonomics issues that have cropped up.

The ride is not terrible at all, nor is the interior anything but nice. The powertrain is where 90% of the Renegades problems are. The NVH nightmare Tigershark with its narrow power band added to the 9sp's bad programming really have ruined the car.
  • cmhj2000cmhj2000 Member Posts: 381
    Glad I stayed away
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,348
    ZF can do much better; the 8HP45 in my 2er is a great transmission- and I'm a dyed-in-the-wool manual fan. Above 40 mph in Sport mode it acts like a true manual, not upshifting unless you tell it to. The only thing it won't allow is a downshift that would cause a mechanical over-rev. The fact that it's faster on the track is just icing on the cake.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• longtimelurkerlongtimelurker Member Posts: 455
    nagant said:

The ride is not terrible at all, nor is the interior anything but nice. The powertrain is where 90% of the Renegades problems are. The NVH nightmare Tigershark with its narrow power band added to the 9sp's bad programming really have ruined the car.
    Everything I have listed there has been complained about by at least two Edmunds staffers, and also by other testers. You may not agree, but I am not making those things up.
  • cpearrecpearre Member Posts: 3
    We traded our 2014 Jeep Cherokee mostly due to the ZF 9 speed. I wouldn't buy any make automobile with this unit installed.
  • craigo7craigo7 Member Posts: 51
    throwback said:

barich1 said:

Good salesmen!
    Salesmen selling to salesmen works better than selling to engineers. 9 gears (more is always better) + 1 mpg (maybe) looks good to marketers.
  • henry4hirehenry4hire Member Posts: 106
    Perhaps they will replace it with a 12-speed! That will show'em!