Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Car question

modelcars87modelcars87 Member Posts: 12
edited March 2016 in General
my car has 178000 miles and is needing about 1300 to get it fixed. my cousin says he can fix it for about half of that. i didn't really want to spend the money to get it fixed - i was concerned i'd spend the money and something else would come up. so i was looking for a new car. i got a rental car for the past few days - spend about $170. i was looking around but couldn't really find anything. i had to go out of town for work today and used a company car - i'm taking that back tomorrow. so i basically have to get a new car tomorrow. i might be able to get a rental for one for day, but that's it. i didn't want to keep spending money on a rental. any ideas?

Comments

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Are you still looking at something like that 2011 Galant?

Got a budget? Want a sedan?
  • modelcars87modelcars87 Member Posts: 12
    edited March 2016
    i was wanting to spend about 12000 or so. probably a sedan. no vans or anything. probably no suvs. theres no galants in my area with low milage. they all have 80+
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    You might get a deal on a Passat right now, what with all of VW's problems. Another one I like is the Chevy Cruz.

This list is geared toward safety, but may give you some ideas:

Best $15,000 Used Cars With Top Crash Test Scores
    edited March 2016
    i looked at passats but they all have leather seats. the ones here do. i tried the cruz, but i couldnt see (i look over my shoulder when i drive)
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Have you tried the Nissan Altima?

You know, in spite of your pressing need, renting a car for another week might turn out to be less expensive than buying the wrong car in a hurry.
    i tried the altima but the seats werent comfortable
    any suggestions?
  • MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,976
    edited March 2016
    any suggestions?
     It all depends on what is important to you – featues? Mileage? Comfort? Versatility? There are lots and lots of cars to choose from – once you have an idea of what kind of car you want we can probably give you some better suggestions. 

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

comfort is important. i tried the altima but didn't like the seats. visibility is too (i look over my shoulder when i change lanes). some cars i couldnt see in like the 2012 200, avenger, and a coupe altima. reliability is important. i can't be driving something that breaks everyday.
    any suggestions?
  • MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,976

any suggestions?

Most cars are pretty reliable. I think you'd probably have to do some research first to see what appeals to you, then go test drive a few of them to see what works.

Camry and Accord are always solid choices for mid size sedans. Mazda 6 is more sporty.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

edited March 2016
    ok