Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

I have a 2001 Ford Excursion Triton V10

jesse1234jesse1234 Member Posts: 1
edited March 2016 in Ford
I was driving my wife to work after dropping her off I was going home while waiting for the light to turn green then my excursion surged a couple times before it shut off, then I tried to start the car but it would only turn over I waited for about twenty minutes or so then I tried to start the car and it started and I was on my way for about 1/2 a mile then the car just shut off, I check the oil and looked to see if my alternator belt was still on but nothing everything looked ok... So I sat and waited for about twenty minutes or so then I tried to start the car and it started like it suppose to. The thing that is weird is the check engine light never came on... I need help on finding out what the problem might be any ideas???

Answers

• Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Intermittent problems like this can be a devil to track down. You'll either have to wait until it fails completely or you could get the truck scanned to see if there are any codes stored that might give you a hint.

Not all component failures will throw a code---fuel system problems, for instance, don't all throw codes. If you are somewhat technically minded, you can arm yourself with a spark tester and when it happens again maybe you can get someone to crank the engine over while you test for spark. You can also (CAREFULLY) depress the schrader valve in the fuel rail to see if fuel is present in the fail...careful, as it might be under pressure and you don't want fuel all over the place.

You might also note if the tachometer bounces up and down as you are cranking. This can tell you that the crankshaft positioning sensor is sending a signal (on some vehicles).

So, short answer is you have to figure out if you are losing spark or fuel when the stall occurs.
  • Options
    batteryBobbatteryBob Member Posts: 1
    Anybody recommend a steering wheel cover for my 2000 Ford Excursion. The interior is grey.