Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

My 1996 Toyota Celica won't start.

secks99secks99 Member Posts: 2
edited March 2016 in Toyota
The engine turns and air blows out of the throttle body. My fuel pump and TPS is good. What else could it be?

Best Answer

• Options
    texasestexases Member Posts: 10,708
    Answer ✓
    "air blows out of the throttle body" You mean backwards?

Answers

• Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Well you have to do a methodical diagnosis. You could spray some starting ether in the air horn--if the engine kicks off for a few seconds, you have a fuel delivery problem. If it doesn't start even with starting ether, then you have either an ignition problem most likely. However, it is also possible that it will start with ether but might still be electrical--if the fuel injectors aren't opening. A spark tester is very inexpensive and a good tool to own. A NOID light (to check injector pulse) is a bit more expensive.

You can often test for fuel pressure in the fuel rail by pressing the Schrader valve in the fuel rail---be careful, as fuel might spray out, so have a rag handy and watch your eyes.
  • Options
    I was wondering about that--maybe a backfire? Could be time for a compression test if it's really blowing backwards.
  • Options
    texasestexases Member Posts: 10,708
    How about a broken timing belt? Valves stuck open?
  • Options
    secks99secks99 Member Posts: 2
    My timing belt is good and I have even tried spraying starting fluid to help start my car. And it won't start even with starting fluid. I am getting fuel delivery and a good spark. My car's engine turns but will not start and it backfires(blows air out of the throttle body) when it tries to start. 
  • Options
    You might want to do a compression test.