Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hard to start when cold.

jacksparrow2jacksparrow2 Member Posts: 17
edited March 2016 in Buick
My 2008 Buick Enclave is causing some grief once again. When I try to start in when it is cold (sitting overnight) It acts as if there is too much fuel delivered. It has 160000 Kms, and I just changed the six plugs for the exact same model (AC 41-107) did the air filter at the same time too. Once the car has run, it starts ok, but is very annoying every morning, wondering f it will start up without flooding.

Comments

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    What makes you think its flooding?
  • jacksparrow2jacksparrow2 Member Posts: 17
    the way it sounds, mind you it does not smell gassy. I thought it was the plugs as I have reached the 100,000 mile mark.
    I checked this morning... there is a small puff of black smoke when it starts. I filmed it from the outside, I'll try to post it.
    Here it is......
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    You might do a scan to see if a code comes up for a coolant temperature sensor perhaps. I don't think it would throw a code for something like a leaking injector though, which, along with the sensor, could give you over-rich startup. But yeah, a basic tune up is a good first step.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,132
    First thing in my mind is a leaking injector allowing fuel into the intake manifold area while sitting overnight. Then when you start it that raw fuel is being ingested and causes a rich mixture that shows as your black exhaust for a short time. A crude check for that would be to borrow a loaner fuel pressure gauge from one of the box stores and leave it on after shutting down the car. The pressure will drop if there's a leaking injector.

A cure might be to try some of the injector cleaners following directions. I like Techron by Chevron fuel injector cleaner. They also make a fuel system cleaner. Others use different additives.

Search for leaking fuel injectors on google for youtube's and other links.

IF you have a friend with a handheld scanner that's a step above the code readers attach that in the morning to read the temperature. When the engine is cold and you read the temperature of the engine that the sensor is sending to the computer, you might find the temperature is being reported wrong. Too cold might have the computer injecting too much fuel. In my garage the engine temp is usually within 5 deg F of the garage temperature after sitting overnight.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

First thing in my mind is a leaking injector allowing fuel into the intake manifold area while sitting overnight. Then when you start it that raw fuel is being ingested and causes a rich mixture that shows as your black exhaust for a short time. A crude check for that would be to borrow a loaner fuel pressure gauge from one of the box stores and leave it on after shutting down the car. The pressure will drop if there's a leaking injector.

A cure might be to try some of the injector cleaners following directions. I like Techron by Chevron fuel injector cleaner. They also make a fuel system cleaner. Others use different additives.

Search for leaking fuel injectors on google for youtube's and other links.

IF you have a friend with a handheld scanner that's a step above the code readers attach that in the morning to read the temperature. When the engine is cold and you read the temperature of the engine that the sensor is sending to the computer, you might find the temperature is being reported wrong. Too cold might have the computer injecting too much fuel. In my garage the engine temp is usually within 5 deg F of the garage temperature after sitting overnight.

Sorry for the delay, the problem is in cold weather more than summer weather.