Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Dealer Accessories for new 2016 Outback

linymomlinymom Member Posts: 11
edited March 2016 in Subaru
Hi - I recently ordered a 2016 Outback Limited 2.5i with the Moonroof, Keyless Access, Push Button Start and Navigation (No Eyesight). The dealer showed me a list of available dealer accessories but I wanted to do some research first. I'm not finding much information on whats good to have accessory-wise. What have others ordered from the dealer or after-market? I would like a remote start but have been reading that the Subaru remote starts have limited range and the car turns off when you open a door? Anyone know if thats true?
Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    cmhj2000cmhj2000 Member Posts: 381
    edited March 2016
    What did your dealer say?

Engine will shutoff when door is opened if a factory remote start and 30 ft or so range. There are a bunch of U-tube videos on this............. No biggie, got 16 Forester i touring, love it
  • Options
    linymomlinymom Member Posts: 11
    The first dealer I went to was trying to tell me I needed a lot of dealer accessories, such as body molding, floor mats, etc...When I showed interest in the remote start, he told me if I get an after-market one it will void my warranty. I've had an after-market $99 remote start in my Murano for 10 years and have never had a problem with it. I do often start the car then open doors to load kids, groceries, dogs, clean snow off the roof, whatever. That seems really inconvenient that the car will shut off when the door is opened.
  • Options
    cmhj2000cmhj2000 Member Posts: 381
    edited March 2016
    linymom said:

That seems really inconvenient that the car will shut off when the door is opened.

Again, to me the 5 seconds it takes to hit the brakes, and push the start button is no big deal. I do appreciate the safety aspect.

• Options
    texasestexases Member Posts: 10,708
    edited March 2016
    I'd avoid aftermarket remote start. Too many ways for that to cause problems later. I'd also ignore the dealer's recommendations. They just want to make money, these are high-profit items. Get what you want, no more, no less.
  • Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    linymom said:

The first dealer I went to was trying to tell me I needed a lot of dealer accessories, such as body molding, floor mats, etc...When I showed interest in the remote start, he told me if I get an after-market one it will void my warranty. I've had an after-market $99 remote start in my Murano for 10 years and have never had a problem with it. I do often start the car then open doors to load kids, groceries, dogs, clean snow off the roof, whatever. That seems really inconvenient that the car will shut off when the door is opened.

It won't void your warranty unless the dealer could show that the installation somehow affected the malfunction--however, given the problems we've read about with aftermarket remotes, I would also avoid them.

Things like floor mats, rear cargo mats, rear cargo nets, roof racks, trailer hitches---all that stuff is handy, but can be had aftermarket and I would guess at lower prices and/or better quality.

Subaru accessories are pricey. $199 for door guards? C'mon! $196 for wind deflectors? The remote starter at $295 is starting to sound like a bargain.

Here's the ENTIRE LIST for you to look over at your leisure.