Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Questions about changing salesman at a dealership

dbs255dbs255 Member Posts: 9
edited March 2016 in Honda
So I went to a dealership and test drove the Accord. I did not have an approved loan and was looking at leasing. But due to my visa limitations the dealer gave me a 27 month lease offer or a 5 year loan at an exorbitant 10.2% (that too not on the entire price of the vehicle).

After this the sales agent (lets call him Andy) I was working with kind of started acting a bit weird. He would not return my calls and also when I called he would say he is busy and hang up.

When I was leaving the dealership which I visited the last time (when I was given the 10% interest loan), there was another sales agent (lets call him Brendon) who told me to look at a FCU who would give much better rates and also recommended a name. I asked around and read reviews of the FCU, and then applied for a loan - got approved at a very good apr for the entire amount.

Brendon even called me 2 days ago to follow up if I had been to the fcu and asked if he could help.

Now, my question is - Is it allowed to change salesmen once I am down in the process? I would like to work with Brendon and continue with my car buying process.

Thank you.

Comments

• Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Sure, it's your money. Give Brendon a call and tell him you want to work with him. It's just business. :)
  • Options
    Wow, that was fast! Thank you so much for your reply @stever I really appreciate it.
  • Options
    Don't feel bad for Andy either - he'll probably get a "mini" from Brendon when you purchase.
  • Options
    Oh, is "mini" a portion of the sales commission that Brendon would receive?
  • Options
    tonyg2016tonyg2016 Member Posts: 728
    post your deal info BEFORE you sign anything; we'll check it out...
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,185
    dbs255 said:

Yes.. exactly.

But, don't worry about Andy's compensation. Doesn't sound like he did much to help you, anyway.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    edited March 2016
    @tonyg2016 This is what I finally got offered - 26,784 out the door - Honda Accord EX with Sensing (in Philadelphia County, PA). Is buying the extended warranty recommended? I mean there is so much complicated electronics in the car.
  • Options
    kyfdx said:

dbs255 said:

Yes.. exactly.

But, don't worry about Andy's compensation. Doesn't sound like he did much to help you, anyway.
    Thanks @kyfdx
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,185
    dbs255 said:

@tonyg2016 This is what I finally got offered - 26,784 out the door - Honda Accord EX with Sensing (in Philadelphia County, PA). Is buying the extended warranty recommended? I mean there is so much complicated electronics in the car.

Every car has electronics. Skip the extended warranty. After all, it's a Honda Accord!

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    dbs255 said:

need to post the breakdown; 26.8 otd seems high
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    Car - 24583
    Taxes - State and local - 2009 - Philadelphia
    Doc - 100
    License - tag - 100
  • Options
    isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    Your first salesman will get half of the commission.

No matter what you are offered someone in these forums will always tell you that number is too high. 've been retired for five years so I have no idea what is a good deal.
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    Here's the numbers I got when I used the Build and Price tool here.

Invoice $25,883, MSRP $28,215 and TMV is $25,210. That's the EX sedan with sensing, Philly zip and the $835 destination is included in those numbers.

So the base price of the car in your quote is $1,300 below invoice and ~$600 below the average price paid (TMV).

You may want to check prices over in the "other" Accord buying discussion. I don't follow it closely but it looks like you have a good quote, but might be able to do better. We generally see a bit more off south of you down near DC, at least for CR-Vs.

Your doc fee is okay and the DMV and taxes are what they are.
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    dbs255 said:

Car - 24583
    Taxes - State and local - 2009 - Philadelphia
    Doc - 100
    License - tag - 100

i am using realistic best quotes from two sources:

1. weymouth honda (boston, MA) - 24148
    2. tell me the best web site - 24159 (they exclude the current $1000 incentive noted by edmunds)

So you are within about $400 of an excellent deal; doc and dmv are 200 vice the 166 average edmunds quotes. Overall, still a very good deal as it stands.

"Pennsylvania 8.00 $36 Y N No limit $130"

http://www.edmunds.com/car-buying/what-fees-should-you-pay.html#chart

• Options
    Thank you so much everyone :-) Booked the vehicle. Haggled the OTD price to 26,611 - almost a $150 less! Paid the $500 deposit. Picking it up on Tuesday.
  • Options
    Congrats!